Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Re: Communication with the new clients

Moderator
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
551 of 795

Hi Ahmed,

 

Thanks for your question and I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Thank you for following Upwork TOS. You can continue to work in line with Upwork TOS and share the information with clients who request to take communication/contract off the platform. We also encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the “Flag as Inappropriate” option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
552 of 795

Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Ahmed,

 

Thanks for your question and I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Thank you for following Upwork TOS. You can continue to work in line with Upwork TOS and share the information with clients who request to take communication/contract off the platform. We also encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the “Flag as Inappropriate” option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.


Sorry Vladimir, I know you are only the messengers, but this?
Ahmed is telling you that he has lost 3 potential clients for "following the TOS", and the only thing you can think of is to congratulate him for doing it?
Surely he is now very happy for your congratulations!

 

And I name only Ahmed, for not naming the others who have commented the same.

 

Really, doesn't anyone upstairs in Upwork realize this is a ***?

We will have to start counting customers who have fled due the new rules (rules that they don't know, although supposedly they were informed)
Perhaps, with real numbers, someone deigns to appear here and apologize for the error.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
553 of 795

Maria T wrote:

We will have to start counting customers who have fled due the new rules (rules that they don't know, although supposedly they were informed)
Perhaps, with real numbers, someone deigns to appear here and apologize for the error.


They won't because they're not the clients Upwork cares about. The ones they actually care about are included in the exception.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
554 of 795

Bojana D wrote:

Maria T wrote:

We will have to start counting customers who have fled due the new rules (rules that they don't know, although supposedly they were informed)
Perhaps, with real numbers, someone deigns to appear here and apologize for the error.


They won't because they're not the clients Upwork cares about. The ones they actually care about are included in the exception.


Bojana is correct. This is why they will not answer the "what do we do when the interview tools don't work" question. I've stopped asking for anything in all these threads. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
555 of 795

@Pandora and @Bojana, I know you are right, but that does not make that all this seem a stupid nonsense to me.
Freelancers are reporting that clients don't want to know about this.
I think I'll give up too!

Highlighted
Active Member
Christy E Member Since: May 20, 2017
556 of 795

Pandora H wrote:

Bojana D wrote:

Maria T wrote:

We will have to start counting customers who have fled due the new rules (rules that they don't know, although supposedly they were informed)
Perhaps, with real numbers, someone deigns to appear here and apologize for the error.


They won't because they're not the clients Upwork cares about. The ones they actually care about are included in the exception.


Bojana is correct. This is why they will not answer the "what do we do when the interview tools don't work" question. I've stopped asking for anything in all these threads. 


A potential client sent their phone number today for a quick call on a time-sensitive project. After I explained the new TOS, we tried to connect 4 times through the system without success. I called Upwork's support to ask what I should do in these situations and was told to:

 

1.  Make sure that my browser is the most updated version.

2.  Ask the potential client to make sure they are using the most updated version of their browser.  (They can call Upwork if they don't know how to check this.)

3.  If it still isn't working after this, then we should both contact Upwork for further assistance.

 

I asked if we could simply pick up a telephone after making a good-faith effort to connect through the system, and the rep replied, "If both browsers are updated then it should work." Sigh.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Steven E. L Member Since: May 5, 2015
557 of 795

Christy E wrote:

A potential client sent their phone number today for a quick call on a time-sensitive project. After I explained the new TOS, we tried to connect 4 times through the system without success. I called Upwork's support to ask what I should do in these situations and was told to:

 

1.  Make sure that my browser is the most updated version.

2.  Ask the potential client to make sure they are using the most updated version of their browser.  (They can call Upwork if they don't know how to check this.)

3.  If it still isn't working after this, then we should both contact Upwork for further assistance.


Christy, How Dare You! Count your blessings! They didn't advise you to clear your cookies and cache. You got off easy. I don't even understand why your complaining /sarcasm off.

Highlighted
Active Member
Christy E Member Since: May 20, 2017
558 of 795

Steven E. L wrote:

Christy E wrote:

A potential client sent their phone number today for a quick call on a time-sensitive project. After I explained the new TOS, we tried to connect 4 times through the system without success. I called Upwork's support to ask what I should do in these situations and was told to:

 

1.  Make sure that my browser is the most updated version.

2.  Ask the potential client to make sure they are using the most updated version of their browser.  (They can call Upwork if they don't know how to check this.)

3.  If it still isn't working after this, then we should both contact Upwork for further assistance.


Christy, How Dare You! Count your blessings! They didn't advise you to clear your cookies and cache. You got off easy. I don't even understand why your complaining /sarcasm off.


Whew, you are absolutely right, Steven. I am soooo lucky.  (insert eyeroll)

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kelly B Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
559 of 795

Christy E wrote:

Pandora H wrote:

Bojana D wrote:

Maria T wrote:

We will have to start counting customers who have fled due the new rules (rules that they don't know, although supposedly they were informed)
Perhaps, with real numbers, someone deigns to appear here and apologize for the error.


They won't because they're not the clients Upwork cares about. The ones they actually care about are included in the exception.


Bojana is correct. This is why they will not answer the "what do we do when the interview tools don't work" question. I've stopped asking for anything in all these threads. 


A potential client sent their phone number today for a quick call on a time-sensitive project. After I explained the new TOS, we tried to connect 4 times through the system without success. I called Upwork's support to ask what I should do in these situations and was told to:

 

1.  Make sure that my browser is the most updated version.

2.  Ask the potential client to make sure they are using the most updated version of their browser.  (They can call Upwork if they don't know how to check this.)

3.  If it still isn't working after this, then we should both contact Upwork for further assistance.

 

I asked if we could simply pick up a telephone after making a good-faith effort to connect through the system, and the rep replied, "If both browsers are updated then it should work." Sigh.


I got this same song and dance, after connecting with UW hours after the failed call attempt. It's not like they have 24/7 support.

 

And my response, again, was: I AM NOT CONNECTING THROUGH A BROWSER, SO WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE WHAT BROWSER I'M USING? Even if somehow the Upwork app connects through a browser, and only certain browsers/ updated versions work... shouldn't that be part of the GUIDE TO USING THE UPWORK VOICE MESSAGING SYSTEM that is posted prominently somewhere? That includes call testing functionality so we don't have to use potential clients as guinea pigs?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
560 of 795

Christy E wrote:

Pandora H wrote:

Bojana D wrote:

Maria T wrote:

We will have to start counting customers who have fled due the new rules (rules that they don't know, although supposedly they were informed)
Perhaps, with real numbers, someone deigns to appear here and apologize for the error.


They won't because they're not the clients Upwork cares about. The ones they actually care about are included in the exception.


Bojana is correct. This is why they will not answer the "what do we do when the interview tools don't work" question. I've stopped asking for anything in all these threads. 


A potential client sent their phone number today for a quick call on a time-sensitive project. After I explained the new TOS, we tried to connect 4 times through the system without success. I called Upwork's support to ask what I should do in these situations and was told to:

 

1.  Make sure that my browser is the most updated version.

2.  Ask the potential client to make sure they are using the most updated version of their browser.  (They can call Upwork if they don't know how to check this.)

3.  If it still isn't working after this, then we should both contact Upwork for further assistance.

 

I asked if we could simply pick up a telephone after making a good-faith effort to connect through the system, and the rep replied, "If both browsers are updated then it should work." Sigh.


Hi Christy, I'm so sorry about what happened to you.

 

I was going to quit, but I can't.
Upwork, why the hell do we have to review or update or change our browsers (freelancer and client) if they work perfectly EXCEPT with your calls and videos?
And if it does not work after waiting for an ANSWER THAT WILL NOT BE IMMEDIATE (as the problem requires) and doing "put here any of the nonsense that you may receive from CS", do you want both the client and the freelancer to contact CS again?

 

You must now go looking for a quick solution. And don't tell us again that you are improving the call center. This would have to be working perfectly, since you demand that we use it.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS