cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Frequently Asked Questions on TOS changes regarding information sharing and interviews

Highlighted
Ivan T Member Since: May 16, 2016
791 of 931

I'm a videographer and my portfolio is on Vimeo.

Can I share Vimeo link on my proposal or conversation before the project starts?

Highlighted
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
792 of 931

Hi Ivan,

Yes! We know sharing your past work is important. Therefore, you can share links to external portfolios when you submit a proposal. Note: We understand external portfolios may include contact information, it is still fine to share these, though please make sure to ask the client to only contact you via Upwork.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
Highlighted
John L Member Since: Apr 8, 2019
793 of 931

I'd love it if the platform would do a bit better job educating clients on this. I have had several clients recently request Zoom calls, emails, etc -- and are put out when I have to play ToS police. I'm fine with the terms, I just wish I didn't have to be the one to teach the client about it. It can make the early communications unnecessarily difficult and adversarial.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
794 of 931

Thanks for sharing your experience, John. We did notify all users about the new Terms of Service updates via email and site announcements. Now we are focused on making sure freelancers and clients understand the new terms and avoid any issues. We have been working on improving notifications users see in Messages when they include certain keywords and have been using every opportunity we can to help our users learn about the “do’s and don’ts” of using Upwork.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Upwork Staff
Anna N Upwork Staff Member Since: Feb 2, 2018
795 of 931

Hi John, appreciate the feedback. Our intention is not to place the burden of client education on freelancers. To build on Valeria's reply, we just started testing additional client notifications in the job post form, application tracker, and messages. The team will share a separate post with more details on our client education efforts shortly. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
796 of 931

Anna N wrote:

Hi John, appreciate the feedback. Our intention is not to place the burden of client education on freelancers. To build on Valeria's reply, we just started testing additional client notifications in the job post form, application tracker, and messages. The team will share a separate post with more details on our client education efforts shortly. 

I for one can't wait to hear more about this.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
797 of 931

Anna N wrote:

What we actually needed since day one is a permantant, also seen by everyone banner, or sidebar text, or something, that clearly states the communication TOS, inside the Message Room. Plus all the other current and pending updates. This will help about 50% of the time, rather than the 9 in 10 clients who go "WHAT???" right now.

Brand new clients did not get "that" email. Clients are so anxious to post jobs they usually rush through the job post form. 

In fact, I would even go to say that your average new client will not read the "fine print" about the communication TOS until several perspective hires mention it as the reason said client is being denied using Skype, Zoom, Uberconferance, phone, etc.

Based on the number of replies in this and other related threads, I would think the above is quite obvious.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
798 of 931

Pandora H wrote:

What we actually needed since day one is a permantant, also seen by everyone banner, or sidebar text, or something, that clearly states the communication TOS, inside the Message Room. Plus all the other current and pending updates. This will help about 50% of the time, rather than the 9 in 10 clients who go "WHAT???" right now.

Even better - you know that pop-up with the checkmark you get before you submit a fixed-price proposal? That reminds you what the rules and risks are, and you can't submit before checking it? Make one like that for posting jobs - "all pre-contract comms must stay in the system", and the client can't submit the job post if they haven't checked it. Something that also should've been implemented from day 1 imo. And if the reasoning for not doing so is along the lines of 'not-user friendly' or 'will seem too restrictive to clients, might potentially turn them away', maybe the entire policy should've been thought through more carefully. 

Highlighted
Jennyfer M Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
799 of 931

I use a booking system to keep sanity in my calendar as I manage multiple clients from various platforms... is upwork working on a way to integrate a feature where a client can request an appointment and send reminders to both the freelancer and the client?

Ever since I started using a booking system, communication, and hiring (which means more money in upwork pockets) has improved. I'm constantly reporting people who want to go out of upwork, I'm paying $20 a month, on top of 10-20% off everything I make in upwork and I don't even have the freedom to personalize the way I do business? Please remind me again how is that I'm an independent contractor? Because it sounds like I'm only an independent contractor at the time to pay benefits and collecting that nice little commission.... 

Upwork Staff
Anna N Upwork Staff Member Since: Feb 2, 2018
800 of 931

Hi Jennyfer, thanks for raising this. I work in product at Upwork and can confirm we're exploring solutions to support scheduling. If you're willing to DM me, I'd love to bounce a few ideas off you to test our approach. We're trying to narrow in on the top needs to solve for: finding a time slot on calendars across timezones? Auto-generating a calendar invite on personal calendars? Sending reminders via email and/or pop ups? All of the above?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS