cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Frequently Asked Questions on TOS changes regarding information sharing and interviews

Community Guru
Steven E. L Member Since: May 5, 2015
811 of 922

Rachel M wrote:
This is incredibly restricting. I've been using upwork for several months now, and it seems at every corner there is another rule or update that makes doing business here very difficult. I came to the community forum this morning to see if anyone has addressed the fact that you now cannot easily track your reports after the latest app update. It was already difficult before with the payments out of order and the conflicting amounts and ambiguous fee descriptions, but at least you could see when you were getting paid. But now, the only way to track your payments is by a daily report. For example, before the update, I had a $90 payment pending and a $240 payment pending. Now, I can only see the first payment because it's due today. If I want to see what other payments are coming up, I have to have the "Upwork Plus" account. Sure, there are other options on the basic account, but these essentially only show a list of the jobs and contracts.

Not to be unruly, but you are telling me that not only am I paying to submit proposals, paying a 20% cut, losing every bonus to some mysterious fee, having to wait nearly a week for a payment and NOW I can't even see a comprehensive report for my upcoming payments without shelling out more money? I depend on that function in order to pay bills and grocery shop for my kids. It's ridiculous that I can't track my earnings ahead of time. And I can't even depend on the 5 day waiting period because sometimes it's a longer processing time than promised. Frankly, there's no way to keep Upwork accountable because the information is hidden. Aren't you guys making enough money without totally screwing over your freelancers? It's just ridiculous. Seriously considering finishing up my current projects and moving to a different platform.

Unfortunately, the change to reporting is old news. It's another accounting hoop to jump through for people for freelancers required to report SSDI income.

Not to mention it reeks of a chintzy, garage-sale tactic trying to nickel-and-dime an extra $0.50 off the top for used furniture.

Highlighted
Mark W Member Since: Jun 12, 2018
812 of 922

Deleted!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
813 of 922

Are you going to update the pop-up with the information that sharing contact information is a ToS violation?

Screenshot_2020-07-31 Submit a Proposal.png

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
814 of 922

Jennifer R wrote:

Are you going to update the pop-up with the information that sharing contact information is a ToS violation?

Screenshot_2020-07-31 Submit a Proposal.png

"Proposal"? Wouldn't that be a message to freelancers?

I think I have seen a similar message to clients posted here, possibly referring to their "offer." Or is Upwork actually giving instructions to clients about their "proposals"?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Adam P Member Since: Jul 3, 2015
815 of 922
Just saw your profile. Congrats on your success with the platform and hopefully you can continue to grow. I’ve found that if you lead the potential client to use the platform with a little more context and positivity they’re into it more and it keeps the stress levels down from changing up typical operational patterns.

Instead of “they’ll kick me off if we do this...” approach and have everyone going in kicking and screaming, it’s better to let them know ... “hey i know your want to chat on zoom, but Upwork is actually now requiring us to use this.... they’ve been improving the system and they’re trying to get everyone talking through this pre contract. Don’t worry though, once we have a contract going it’s cool if we use whatever you and your team are comfortable with.”

You have to look at the opportunity here to possibly change up your internal sales approach to close a contract earlier, so the client will have full access to you as another motive to close.

Freelancers have been giving away waaaaaaaaaay too much of their precious time. Have your own filters set up so only qualified leads come through and figure out away to structure your offer where you’re not wasting time.

Hope that’s helpful!
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
816 of 922

Adam P wrote:
Just saw your profile. Congrats on your success with the platform and hopefully you can continue to grow. 

Adam, do you think you could try and teach yourself how to use the quote function so people get a faint idea who in the world and what you are responding to, and so your enthusiastic cheerleading posts don't just appear randomly in the middle of a massive thread, with no indication of what and who you are addressing?

Thank you.

quote.png

Highlighted
Irina F Member Since: May 8, 2017
817 of 922

When I initially read abut these new rules, my first concern was the quality of your calls and video calls.  

I got an answer that the service was "significantly improved"....I can say it's still terrible, there are so many issues and we encounter problems most of the time. The clients are surprised when I tell them we can't use Zoom cals, which most of them prefer. I was in situaions where the call had to be made with a few other team members of their company so...again another problem since we can't have group call. 

I lost already clients because of your new rules. We had extrely bad quality calls and video meetings, and also I have to waste energy and time to explain them your new rules. Apparently most of them have no idea about them which is really frustrating.

I am really disapointed that you don't make things easier for us to get new clients, rather more complicated, frustrating and difficult.

I won't even say about Calendy, Slack or any other apps the clients prefer to use which now we can't use anymore. 

Please listen to our opinions, we are the ones working and paying fees on your platforms. Clients are frustrated, we are frustrated!!! 

I see so many people in the same situation as mine, working here for years, with great portfolio, who are really having hard time working because of these new rules. 

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
818 of 922

Hi Irina,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with using the call feature. I'll share the information you provided about the quality of the video calls you've had with our team but would like to ask if you wouldn't mind clicking on my name and sending me a private message with more information about the more recent calls you mentioned? 

Regarding setting up group calls, I'd like to clarify that there is an option to have a group call and I suspect the prospective client's team members haven't been added to the message room or a group chat room hadn't been created before the call was initiated.

Highlighted
819 of 922

Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Irina,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with using the call feature. I'll share the information you provided about the quality of the video calls you've had with our team but would like to ask if you wouldn't mind clicking on my name and sending me a private message with more information about the more recent calls you mentioned? 

Regarding setting up group calls, I'd like to clarify that there is an option to have a group call and I suspect the prospective client's team members haven't been added to the message room or a group chat room hadn't been created before the call was initiated.

Hi Vladimir, 

Thank you for your quick answer. 

I will send you a private message. 

Highlighted
820 of 922

Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Irina,

How can i send you a private message?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS