cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Frequently Asked Questions on TOS changes regarding information sharing and interviews

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
801 of 922

Hi Tony,

Have you experienced an issue recently during a call?

If you open a call but experience audio issues, it may be a permissions problem. Make sure you have granted permission for Upwork to access your microphone and speakers. Please follow the troubleshooting steps shared in this Help article, which you can also access in the call window.

If the problem persists, you can contact Customer Support directly within the call application by selecting the gear icon > “Contact Upwork Support” > fill in the provided form. Our team will follow up on your ticket as a priority and assist you further.

Taking communication off the platform would be a TOS violation and we strongly encourage you and other users who might experience similar issues to follow the process we have in place in order to resolve the problem and be able to continue their communication in line with Upwork TOS.

Highlighted
Jessica G Member Since: May 27, 2020
802 of 922

I have had problems recently on an Upwork call.  These have been quality issues.  So the audio was OK but at times would garble or have a delay.  The video quality was almost always pixelated.  And screens sharing did not sync...it only showed the first screen I displayed and did not show the subsequent screens as I clicked links within the same window.   I have had the same issues two different times using the platform in the last week.  I did report the problems at the end of the call via the feedback box.  

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
803 of 922

Thanks for sharing your feedback and I'm sorry to hear about the issues you experienced, Jessica. I'd suggest reaching out to our team ideally during or right after the call via the option in the call window, so our dedicated team could help troubleshoot the issue and provide further assistance asap. In the meantime, could you please check the tips shared in this Help article in order to confirm your audio and video permissions are up to date?

Highlighted
804 of 922

It isn't a permission issue.  The system is working, it is just working poorly.  I can hear and they can hear me - it is just not good quality.  I can see them, they can see me....it is just not high quality.  They can see my screen when I first start sharing, but then it freezes up.  These are not permission problems - they are quality issues.  As I said, I did post the feedback directly after the call to indicate the quality issues I'm having.   I do not have the same problems using other tools such as GoToMeeting and Zoom (both if which I use with existing clients and even my children's schools for parent meetings).

Highlighted
805 of 922

I'd also like to point out that the Upwork Call challenges I had were on a call for a longer-term, high dollar contract. Likely to be more than $20,000 of billing over the next 4 months.  It will require at least two pre-contract calls with the project owners.   We had challenges scheduling due to availability and time zone differences.  Then we had low quality while on the actual call.  These were not challenges I faced prior to the rule change when I could use Calendly/Zoom pre-contract.

Message I received from the prospective client: Sorry for the scheduling complexity. Much easier off upwork to communicate!

My suggestion for her was to be sure to share her feedback with Upwork.  I'm lucky that they were understanding of my reminder that we had to stay on platform to our discussions and didn't just walk away. I suspect not all prospects will be as understanding and flexible.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Tony S Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
806 of 922

No issue with hardware, just bad quality, breaking up all the time.

So is your recommendation - to give up on the prospect just because your software is bad and we cannot use zoom in sch situations? I don't see it realistic to contact support in the middle of the call and wait for their assitance. The choice is simple: I either need to cancel the call (basically losing the potential client) or send a zoom link.

Please correct me if I'm wrong: you are suggesting to lose the client?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
807 of 922

Tony S wrote:

No issue with hardware, just bad quality, breaking up all the time.

So is your recommendation - to give up on the prospect just because your software is bad and we cannot use zoom in sch situations? I don't see it realistic to contact support in the middle of the call and wait for their assitance. The choice is simple: I either need to cancel the call (basically losing the potential client) or send a zoom link.

Please correct me if I'm wrong: you are suggesting to lose the client?

Suggesting? No. They (and I do not mean the Moderators) don't care if you loose the client. Seriously. And I would not bother asking anymore about this, the Mods will not answer this question in a logical way (even if they would prefer to).

Ace Contributor
Tony S Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
808 of 922

I feel myself in some weird version of huxlian brave new world... Rules that make no sense and moderators that have to write things that make even less sense (and I'm pretty sure they understand how ridiculous is that what they are copying from their training manuals...

Highlighted
Rachel M Member Since: May 3, 2020
809 of 922
This is incredibly restricting. I've been using upwork for several months now, and it seems at every corner there is another rule or update that makes doing business here very difficult. I came to the community forum this morning to see if anyone has addressed the fact that you now cannot easily track your reports after the latest app update. It was already difficult before with the payments out of order and the conflicting amounts and ambiguous fee descriptions, but at least you could see when you were getting paid. But now, the only way to track your payments is by a daily report. For example, before the update, I had a $90 payment pending and a $240 payment pending. Now, I can only see the first payment because it's due today. If I want to see what other payments are coming up, I have to have the "Upwork Plus" account. Sure, there are other options on the basic account, but these essentially only show a list of the jobs and contracts.

Not to be unruly, but you are telling me that not only am I paying to submit proposals, paying a 20% cut, losing every bonus to some mysterious fee, having to wait nearly a week for a payment and NOW I can't even see a comprehensive report for my upcoming payments without shelling out more money? I depend on that function in order to pay bills and grocery shop for my kids. It's ridiculous that I can't track my earnings ahead of time. And I can't even depend on the 5 day waiting period because sometimes it's a longer processing time than promised. Frankly, there's no way to keep Upwork accountable because the information is hidden. Aren't you guys making enough money without totally screwing over your freelancers? It's just ridiculous. Seriously considering finishing up my current projects and moving to a different platform.
Highlighted
Rachel M Member Since: May 3, 2020
810 of 922
Update: when I went back to the app, the old reporting format is back in place. Should I be expecting the new format to be rolled in soon?
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS