cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i Share my portfolio link in Proposal?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
101 of 894

Nasif S wrote:

My client wanted to take my interview in a zoom call. But right then and there Upwork bot said it would be a violation of ToS to communicate before the client hires me! It even treated that they would suspend my account. 

This is strange. I attached a screenshot. If the client wants to communicate in his preferred way, what can I do about it? And it's pretty normal to do this from the client perspective.

So can anyone please help me with 100% knowledge regarding this?
I don't want my profile getting suspended.

The pop up is correct. To communicate with the client PRIOR to a contract being in place, you need to use Upwork calling system. You cannot use Zoom (unless they are an Enterprise client, I believe). 

This TOS change occured on June 26. You and the client (if they are not new) both should have received an email about it. Additionally, if you are new, it was in the TOS that you and they signed when you joined. 

So yes, that is the rule. Communicate through Upwork. Use the Upwork call system. If the client asks for Zoom, simply reply to use the Upwork call system per their TOS. It's pretty simple. 

If you have a contract offered and accepted with this client, then you can communicate through any means you want, but not until you have an accepted contract. 

Highlighted
Jessica G Member Since: May 27, 2020
102 of 894

Nasif S wrote:

My client wanted to take my interview in a zoom call. But right then and there Upwork bot said it would be a violation of ToS to communicate before the client hires me! It even treated that they would suspend my account. 

You are correct to be concerned.  It sounds as if the potential client was not fully aware of the new Terms of Service changes that took place in late June.

In this case, a simple reminder helps:

"To abide by the Upwork TOS, prior to the contract we must keep our communication confined to the Upwork tools.  I'm happy to jump on an Upwork Call with you which will provide us with video calling and screen sharing features. I can initiate the call now if this is still a good time for you.  Once I am under contract we can use the communication tools of your preference."

To start the call click on the phone icon at the top of the conversation and choose an Upwork call (like a Zoom) or a phone call if you need audio-only.  

Waleed A Member Since: Jul 22, 2020
103 of 894

As a beginner on Upwork, I just to know about Upwork Policy of sharing link in Proposal.

I just want to share my dribble portfolio link in Proposal so I can explain and display my previous work to my client. Can I share this link in the proposal? **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
104 of 894

Hi Waleed,

Thanks for your question. Yes! We know sharing your past work is important. Therefore, you can share links to external portfolios when you submit a proposal. Note: We understand external portfolios may include contact information, it is still fine to share these, though please make sure to ask the client to only contact you via Upwork.

Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Emmanuel I Member Since: Jan 28, 2018
105 of 894

What do you do when one of the screening questions by One of Upwork’s largest Enterprise clients is to share your email address, and yet according to upwork you'll be violeting the TOS??

What is the best thing to do??

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
106 of 894

Emmanuel I wrote:

What do you do when one of the screening questions by One of Upwork’s largest Enterprise clients is to share your email address, and yet according to upwork you'll be violeting the TOS??

The rules specifically exclude Enterprise clients

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Emmanuel I Member Since: Jan 28, 2018
107 of 894

Thank you Petra, that's very helpfull.

Highlighted
Nikita G Member Since: Mar 26, 2020
108 of 894

Hi!

On The Terms and Services, there's specified that physical address is considered as a means of direct contact, thus is prohibited to share. So I'm wondering if we can share the links to our website portfolio, where clients can find our physical address, or should we remove info on our address there?

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
109 of 894

Hi Nikita,

Yes, you can share your external portfolios. Portfolios are an important part of a freelancer’s bidding process to show off their past work and their potential to complete a future project. That is why we are not prohibiting the sharing of external links to personal portfolios or other websites that provide examples of past work. We recognize that some of these links might include contact information and ways to identify and contact you outside of the Upwork platform. When you share these outside links, please remind potential clients to only communicate with you through Upwork until a contract is in place.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Joao S Member Since: Dec 15, 2016
110 of 894

Some weeks ago, while a client was trying to send me some briefing assets outside of Upwork before the contract started, I got a warning stating that it was against Upwork's TOS to do so. I didn't know that, and found out that it was a new rule.

Yesterday I was talking with a client, and he wanted to make a skype call, to make sure I was a right fit, before giving me the job. I told him that it was agains TOS to do that, and that I even got warned in the past because of that.

I suggested we try to make a call on the platform and then, if we moved on with a contract, we could talk anywhere he'd prefer. I made sure to tell him that I just didn't wanted get us in trouble.

He just blocked me out of the blue! We had been talking about the work for the last couple of days, everything was going well, and then, because I suggested we talk via Upwork, I got blocked with no satisfaction.

Does anyone know if being blocked by a client can have any type of negative impact on you?

Also, I think Upwork should reflect on this. Even though this guy had the weirdest behaviour, It's understandable that clients may want to have their screening calls outside of the platform, since Upwork calls are very very unreliable, and the mobile app is a bug fest that has broken features on every release.

All the best,

João

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS