cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequently Asked Questions on TOS changes regarding information sharing and interviews

Highlighted
Community Leader
Bharadhan V Member Since: Jul 16, 2018
91 of 895

A client has shared me a Figma Link to check the designs for a work to be done ,  can I login with my gmail id or mail address and check it before contract is started according to new TOS.

Thanks and Regards

Highlighted
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
92 of 895

Hi Bharadhan,

Thanks for reaching out. We realize that some tools and services require the sharing of an email address to gain access. If you require access to a system before a contract starts, you may share your email address for the sole purpose of gaining access to a system. All communications, however, must still take place on the Upwork platform.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Leader
Bharadhan V Member Since: Jul 16, 2018
93 of 895

Okay thank you for your reply , I will keep all the conversations inside the Upwork platform.

Highlighted
Abdul K Member Since: Jul 22, 2020
94 of 895

Hi,

I  am new on Upwork, so don't know much of its ethics. Can anyone please explain to me if I can share my WhatsApp or email with the client to discuss some key points of the project.

Thanks

Abdul

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wes C Member Since: May 3, 2019
95 of 895

You can, but only after the contract is in place. You can no longer share that information during the interview phase.

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
96 of 895

Hi Abdul,

The information Wes provided is correct. To provide more insight to you as a new user, effective June 26, 2020, these changes apply to Section 7 of the User Agreement:

1.  Users must conduct all pre-contract conversations through the Upwork platform.

All conversations before a contract is started must be through Upwork Messages, where you can send messages, have video calls, and more. 

1. Freelancers and clients may not request or share any contact information* before a contract is started, with one exception.  A client or freelancer may only share an email address if it is for the sole purpose of giving the other party access to a system that allows them to scope the project in advance. This allows freelancers to review a project prior to a contract so they can determine if they have the needed skills, how many hours it will take, etc. 

*Contact information includes, but is not limited to: 

• Phone number, email address, physical address

• Link to a contact form or form requesting contact information

• Link to an applicant management system or means to submit a proposal or application outside of Upwork

• Any information that would enable contact through social media, another website, platform, or application (i.e., Skype or WhatsApp IDs)

Highlighted
Prashant G Member Since: Aug 2, 2020
97 of 895

Hi,

I'm new to the platform. I applied for a job & the client sent me a message asking me to email to their collegue in their company to get the details - apparently this colleague is handling this project, as per his message. Is this okay as per upwork TOS?

I do not want to violate any terms but also do not want to lose the opportunity

Please help

Regards

Prashant

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
98 of 895

Prashant G wrote:

Hi,

I'm new to the platform. I applied for a job & the client sent me a message asking me to email to their collegue in their company to get the details - apparently this colleague is handling this project, as per his message. Is this okay as per upwork TOS?

I do not want to violate any terms but also do not want to lose the opportunity

Please help

Regards

Prashant

All communication prior to a contract has to be made through Upwork. Communicating via email before you have been hired is a ToS violation.

Highlighted
Prashant G Member Since: Aug 2, 2020
99 of 895

Sure, thank you so much Jennifer

Highlighted
Nasif S Member Since: May 30, 2020
100 of 895

My client wanted to take my interview in a zoom call. But right then and there Upwork bot said it would be a violation of ToS to communicate before the client hires me! It even treated that they would suspend my account. 

This is strange. I attached a screenshot. If the client wants to communicate in his preferred way, what can I do about it? And it's pretty normal to do this from the client perspective.

So can anyone please help me with 100% knowledge regarding this?
I don't want my profile getting suspended.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS