cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequently Asked Questions on TOS changes regarding information sharing and interviews

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Sean S Member Since: Mar 2, 2020
41 of 894
You know what's really ironic, Upwork? You are so paranoid about people circumventing your platform, that you are creating an environment so hostile that people are likely actually thinking about it now. As myself and many others have mentioned repeatedly, just do something worth defending and we will defend it passionately.

Imagine the good you could do if you were able to allocate your resources to building a solid and trustworthy platform, instead of battling this unnecessary dumpster fire.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Adam P Member Since: Jul 3, 2015
42 of 894
I think if they get their systems updated and it works fine before 6/26 it’s gonna be a good thing. Why go on different platforms if you don’t need to?

I thought originally it was starting 5/26 and we already needed to do this.

If after the 6/26 start it’s still very buggy, I think Upwork will need to alter this.

I’m truly rooting for it to work well though. I may be wrong but my fingers are crossed.

You should be closing contracts quickly without doing too much hoop jumping anyway.

Once that happens you can share anything or use anything you want.
Highlighted
Shakib K Member Since: Feb 27, 2017
43 of 894

Client is asking for whatsapp no. Does upwork support sharing personal communication method like (skype / whatsapp / email / messenger  ID or other  ) ? 

When I am typing "skype" in upwork message then a yellow warning box is showing. Thats why I am afraid.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
44 of 894

Shakib K wrote:

Client is asking for whatsapp no. Does upwork support sharing personal communication method like (skype / whatsapp / email / messenger  ID or other  ) ? 

When I am typing "skype" in upwork message then a yellow warning box is showing. Thats why I am afraid.

You can right now, but after 6/26 (June 26), you will not be able to do that. You should have received an email about this. Check your mail.

Highlighted
Shakib K Member Since: Feb 27, 2017
45 of 894

In that case if client want to contact me through 'skype' or 'whatsapp' or 'email' then what shuld be my response ? PLease let me know in detail about this contact issue.

NB : I did not get any email.

Thanks in advance

Highlighted
Anton K Member Since: Sep 9, 2016
46 of 894

Sean S wrote:
You know what's really ironic, Upwork? You are so paranoid about people circumventing your platform, that you are creating an environment so hostile that people are likely actually thinking about it now. As myself and many others have mentioned repeatedly, just do something worth defending and we will defend it passionately.

Imagine the good you could do if you were able to allocate your resources to building a solid and trustworthy platform, instead of battling this unnecessary dumpster fire.

Had a conversation about these changes with someone who regularly hires freelancers, including on Upwork, and his response was (verbatum): "Screw Upwork".

So, yeah. It's definitely creating a situation where both clients and freelancers will either look to leave the platform or stop caring about all the insane rules and will get banned for breaking them.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mohammed G Member Since: Jun 28, 2017
47 of 894

Sean S wrote:

Is there a way I can put a clap emoji?

Highlighted
Eli M Member Since: Nov 18, 2019
48 of 894

With all of the exceptions that are listed, our email address is going to be visible somewhere in there. The people who want to cheat are going to figure out a way to cheat. Those of us who don't will have a very cumbersome process to deal with, and be constantly worried about getting banned and losing our income if we accidentally give a link to a portfolio that UpWork doesn't allow or a myriad other things. The rules are becoming very confusing.

I just tried to do a voice call using the UpWork system. In order to activate the microphone I have to restart the browser on my Mac. I'm not going to leave it open all the time.

After I was able to reconnect, the audio quality was poor and the video was blurry. I have a very good, 1Gb/s connection

Even if the UpWork system worked well, potential clients often need to be able to create an an account on their system for me to see the detail of the project, and that requires giving them my email address.

This is ridiculous. I predict that a competitor will easily beat UpWork if UpWork continues to insist on this cumbersome process. All of the time that I have spent building a good reputation on here will have been wasted and I will need to start over on a new system.

Please reconsider.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Solange B Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
49 of 894
You’re so right, that’s exactly one of the things I was talking about with some Friends yesterday. They still had the advantage, but they have lost it. Not too long before another platform steps in and take the lead.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Mohammed G Member Since: Jun 28, 2017
50 of 894

Eli M wrote:

With all of the exceptions that are listed, our email address is going to be visible somewhere in there. The people who want to cheat are going to figure out a way to cheat. Those of us who don't will have a very cumbersome process to deal with, and be constantly worried about getting banned and losing our income if we accidentally give a link to a portfolio that UpWork doesn't allow or a myriad other things. The rules are becoming very confusing.

I just tried to do a voice call using the UpWork system. In order to activate the microphone I have to restart the browser on my Mac. I'm not going to leave it open all the time.

After I was able to reconnect, the audio quality was poor and the video was blurry. I have a very good, 1Gb/s connection

Even if the UpWork system worked well, potential clients often need to be able to create an an account on their system for me to see the detail of the project, and that requires giving them my email address.

This is ridiculous. I predict that a competitor will easily beat UpWork if UpWork continues to insist on this cumbersome process. All of the time that I have spent building a good reputation on here will have been wasted and I will need to start over on a new system.

Please reconsider.

I swear that for a moment I thought the same!. If someone is financially willing to develop such a platform, It is the suitable time.