cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequently Asked Questions on TOS changes regarding information sharing and interviews

Highlighted
Community Leader
Remi O Member Since: Jun 6, 2016
631 of 787

So today this happens:

Client sent a Calendly link for scheduling which requires an email address to be completed. I assume the client does not know about the new TOS change on sharing contact information.
I brought this to the client's knowledge and asked that the meeting be scheduled via Upwork Messages. However they said 'Sorry - need to schedule via the link.'

There are already about 13 interviews on the job and the client's insistence tells me that some freelancers may have scheduled via the link providing their email addresses and I'm the odd one out.

I will lose the opportunity to bid on the job because clients do not know or have not been clearly informed about the TOS in a way that's streamlined and effective and doesn't make freelancers like me sound crazy.

Highlighted
Christy E Member Since: May 20, 2017
632 of 787

Remi O wrote:

So today this happens:

Client sent a Calendly link for scheduling which requires an email address to be completed. I assume the client does not know about the new TOS change on sharing contact information.
I brought this to the client's knowledge and asked that the meeting be scheduled via Upwork Messages. However they said 'Sorry - need to schedule via the link.'

There are already about 13 interviews on the job and the client's insistence tells me that some freelancers may have scheduled via the link providing their email addresses and I'm the odd one out.

I will lose the opportunity to bid on the job because clients do not know or have not been clearly informed about the TOS in a way that's streamlined and effective and doesn't make freelancers like me sound crazy.

This is exactly what we've all been saying. Freelancers who follow the rules will be penalized. Freelancers who always subvert the rules will continue to do so with no recourse.

Absolutely maddening.

Highlighted
Anton K Member Since: Sep 9, 2016
633 of 787

Remi O wrote:

So today this happens:

So Upwork staff... are we supposed to be reporting each and every client who does this for violation of Upwork rules?

When is this farce going to end?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Tony S Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
634 of 787

So do I understand it correctly thatyou just cut out your email-reply functionality, as when replying an email with a message from Upwork user he's seeing my signature with all the contacts?

Highlighted
Simon L Member Since: Aug 30, 2018
635 of 787

Just wanted to join a long list of people saying that a client reached out directly (they must have somehow guessed my website, as I don't have a link anywhere) and scheduled a GoToMeeting via Calendly with their entire team to discuss a project.

As I literally have zero communication with this client on UpWork whatsoever (no chat, no invite, no nothing), the only reason I know they came from UpWork is that I have a dropdown question on Calendly asking "how did you find me" and they responded "through UpWork". I'm unable to report them, because there's no chat to file the report against.

I've reminded them nicely to keep communication on-platform, and have extended the olive branch that I'm willing to keep the meeting date/time so long as it's on UpWork's chat feature and not on GoToMeeting, but considering it's a team of 7-8 people I doubt they will go through the hassle of doing that. I'm pretty much assuming that's a lost contract at this point - we'll see...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Steven E. L Member Since: May 5, 2015
636 of 787

Simon L wrote:

I've reminded them nicely to keep communication on-platform, and have extended the olive branch that I'm willing to keep the meeting date/time so long as it's on UpWork's chat feature and not on GoToMeeting, but considering it's a team of 7-8 people I doubt they will go through the hassle of doing that. I'm pretty much assuming that's a lost contract at this point - we'll see...

Congratulations! You will soon be award the profile badge of honor for Acting Deputy Assistant Chief Seargent of Upwork Law Enforcement.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
George S Member Since: Jun 2, 2011
637 of 787

Simon L wrote:

Just wanted to join a long list of people saying that a client reached out directly (they must have somehow guessed my website, as I don't have a link anywhere) and scheduled a GoToMeeting via Calendly with their entire team to discuss a project.

As I literally have zero communication with this client on UpWork whatsoever (no chat, no invite, no nothing), the only reason I know they came from UpWork is that I have a dropdown question on Calendly asking "how did you find me" and they responded "through UpWork". I'm unable to report them, because there's no chat to file the report against.

It's not the first time this happened to me and as soon as they say "I found you on UpWork" I request them to use UpWork (or at least that's what I always did) ...but this TOS change shows you exactly how UpWork has zero respect for the loyalty of those like you and me.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Shannon P Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
638 of 787

Looks like Upwork isn't replying to the crux of this thread anymore, but again, I just got an invite where the client included their phone number and email. I get an average of like 10 invites a week, since the new TOS rules on communication went into place I haven't had one client say, "ok, when do you want to talk using Upwork's voice chat feature?" or anything like that. They've all been in the dark about the changes. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
639 of 787

Shannon P wrote:

Looks like Upwork isn't replying to the crux of this thread anymore, but again, I just got an invite where the client included their phone number and email. I get an average of like 10 invites a week, since the new TOS rules on communication went into place I haven't had one client say, "ok, when do you want to talk using Upwork's voice chat feature?" or anything like that. They've all been in the dark about the changes. 

So I have access to a Client account (on the team in Upwork, not using Creds!). I logged in late yesterday to check something, and when I loaded the client account, saw a banner - 

TOS banner on Client Page.jpg

Highlighted
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
640 of 787

Pandora H wrote:

Shannon P wrote:

So I have access to a Client account (on the team in Upwork, not using Creds!). I logged in late yesterday to check something, and when I loaded the client account, saw a banner - 

TOS banner on Client Page.jpg

Perhaps they should change the color green to red (warning color) and change the text along the way.
Something like "ATTENTION, New TOS. All PRE-CONTACT COMMUNICATIONS etc .......", including capital letters.
It is possible that in this way the advertisement is not diluted among all the green things and you pay attention to it.
Just an idea.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS