cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequently Asked Questions on TOS changes regarding information sharing and interviews

Highlighted
Edward M Member Since: Mar 26, 2018
891 of 931

Petra R wrote:

That is just ridiculous in most cases. It is also completely unacceptable to expect a client to do so and a freelancer to suggest it.

It's essentially profile suicide sooner or later.

I agree. In the "before times" we might have been able to pull this off. But clients want to "show" me what they need on Zoom before we BOTH agree to move forward with a contract. And now during the Covid crisis, clients prefer Zoom.

It's incredibly unreasonable for me to deny a client (When Jobs are dwindling anyway) just because of that latest addtion to the TOS?

This rule absolutely needs to be reworked.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
892 of 931

Edward M wrote:

Petra R wrote:

That is just ridiculous in most cases. It is also completely unacceptable to expect a client to do so and a freelancer to suggest it.

It's essentially profile suicide sooner or later.

I agree. In the "before times" we might have been able to pull this off. But clients want to "show" me what they need on Zoom before we BOTH agree to move forward with a contract. And now during the Covid crisis, clients prefer Zoom.

It's incredibly unreasonable for me to deny a client (When Jobs are dwindling anyway) just because of that latest addtion to the TOS?

This rule absolutely needs to be reworked.

Agreed. The lack of screen sharing and other features makes these "Upwork-only" calls so inefficient. The restriction is embarrassing to have to explain to potential clients and makes it look like the freelancer is fishing for a contract before even having a first meeting. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Aloke T Member Since: May 5, 2015
893 of 931

Can Upwork not just contact Zoom and give all tenured freelancers on the plateform a Zoom account linked to Upwork somehow? Or hire freelancers on Upwork and develop a usable video call and screensharing app?

Highlighted
Amir E Member Since: Feb 5, 2018
894 of 931

Sometimes, I need to login to client's site to see the issue and analyze to see if the job is in my field of expertise at all or not before accepting the contract. Is this violation of the new rules?

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
895 of 931

Hi Amir,

Freelancers and clients may not request or share any contact information before a contract is started, with one exception.  A client or freelancer may only share an email address if it is for the sole purpose of giving the other party access to a system that allows them to scope the project in advance. This allows freelancers to review a project prior to a contract so they can determine if they have the needed skills, how many hours it will take, etc. All communications, however, must still take place on the Upwork platform.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Steven E. L Member Since: May 5, 2015
896 of 931

Vladimir G wrote:

Freelancers and clients may not request or share any contact information before a contract is started, with one exception ...

Is that a fact? What happened to the exception for sharing third-party portfolios such as Behance and Dribble?

I guess apparently Upwork has now backtracked on their forwardtrack? When was this decision made? Where was appropriate notification provided so the people who drive Upwork's entire business model can maintain compliance with this absolute utter silliness?

Highlighted
Andrei C Member Since: Sep 16, 2015
897 of 931

I would really appreciate if you would notify us (freelancers/clients) by email or some other way that we definitely see it, when big changes like this happen.. Not everybody checks the forums for this kind of things (including myself). I just saw this post by mistake..

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
898 of 931

Hi Andrei,

I'd like to confirm that we had sent an email notification to all users regarding these TOS updates.

Highlighted
Daniel C Member Since: Mar 21, 2020
899 of 931

Client tries to send me a zoom meeting, I explain I cannot due to Upwork TOS. They say there are a few people I must talk to for this job and they're all in different locations (eg Hong Kong and their partners in Germany) and the German partners do not have nor want an Upwork account but they'll do the inital call with me over Upwork and we'll see where we go from there, client asked me what should he do and I have no idea **Edited for Community Guidelines**

to suggest

Client finds my LinkedIn using my name, I say sorry but we must keep things on Upwork and if we open a $5 contract then we can talk wherever. Client eventually relents and opens a $5 contract to make this process with less friction

1) At least the Upwork calling system worked this time, although my video did freeze at one point even though sound quality was good

2) Client opened $5 contract and now if they don't hire me I have to close a contract without any earnings, thus hurting my JSS

3) If I took the $5 what sort of feedback is the client going to give if they decide not to hire me? Will they give me 1 star because of this rule?

4) Clients are now far more determined to try to find my in other places (LinkedIn) than they ever were before, clients will start wondering why they should pay through Upwork at all and can you imagine how much Upwork is losing due to more dishonest freelancers this way?

5) Why am I having to educate clients on this rule anyway?

I've made money here, I'm top rated and I've made my peace with the fees but this rule is surely hurting Upwork far more than it helps? It's making clients go behind Upwork and find me elsewhere which I have *never* had before?!

So now what? Do I deacticate my LinkedIn and all my other social so clients cannot just type my name into Google?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Vivek K Member Since: May 28, 2016
900 of 931

I have not hired recently on upwork , so if rules have changed then I can't say.  But communication was always allowed outside upwork.

Freelancers  were not supposed to provide your contact details on profile  and/or on proposal. Similarly clients could not put a job post asking to be contacted on communication system outside of upwork.

But you could provide email or skype or whatever in the message you sent to a client or prospective client.

I have emails/ phone numbers of many freelancers. 

The only rule was payment should be made through upwork system, which isn't actually unfair because that's how they make revenue.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS