cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequently Asked Questions on TOS changes regarding information sharing and interviews

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
971 of 978

Yes.

After a client has hired you, you may provide your email address.

You may communicate using email or any communication method that you like with any client who has hired you.

Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
972 of 978

Hi. Could an Upwork moderator please confirm whether this is allowed.

In an interview, a potential client has sent me a link to some files that I need for scoping the project. The files are password-protected, and he wants my email address so he can send me the password. I assume that the password will be created by the system that sends me the password, so he doesn't know the password and he can't simply send it to me in an Upwork message.

Can I send him my email address for this purpose? (I expect we could find another arrangement, but I don't want to complicate things unnecessarily.)

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
973 of 978

Hi Richard,

Yes, this is allowed. A client or freelancer may only share an email address if it is for the sole purpose of giving the other party access to a system that allows them to scope the project in advance. This allows freelancers to review a project prior to a contract so they can determine if they have the needed skills, how many hours it will take, etc. 

Thank you for this question! 

~ Bojan
Untitled
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
974 of 978

Thanks, Bojan. I thought so, but I wanted to make sure.

Fabian W Member Since: Nov 3, 2020
975 of 978

Hi Joanne, I understand the reasoning behind this but for me - as a paying customer - this is a reason to look for alternatives because this disturbs my optimized recruiting process.

There are simple solutions and I don't really understand why Upwork is not able to improve this for such a long time. For instance there could be a simple tool that helps to coordinate interviews (e.g. like Calendly) or - even simpler - there could be an email adress for freelancers (**Edited for Community Guidelines** 
) which enables complicant communication outside of the platform.

Jalal K Member Since: Oct 19, 2018
976 of 978

Good Day everyone, My client want to contact through whatsapp and my contract with him on upwork continues. Is contacting outside is a violation while mode of payment is upwok?

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
977 of 978

Hi Jalal,

If you`re hired on an official contract you and your client can use your prefered method of communication even if it's outside of Upwork. 
To clarify, communicating outside of Upwork before an official contract is formed is a violation of our TOS. Thank you.

Untitled
Jalal K Member Since: Oct 19, 2018
978 of 978

Thanks Goran for the info my contract continues on upwork.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS