Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequently asked questions about VAT for EU freelancers

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
321 of 340

Hi Tom,

Tom G wrote:

This forum makes it very clear that once approved I will not pay VAT on any fees that Upwork charge to me - I understand this. What is not clear however is what happens when my company does work for a UK based client through Upwork?

Just to clear any confusion, Upwork will only charge VAT to you on its fees for using Upwork. No VAT will be charged by Upwork to you on the fees charged by you to your client. Upwork does not charge and does not take responsibility for VAT that may or may not be due on charges by you as a Freelancer to your client. This is something for which you as a freelancer remain responsible.

Highlighted
Tom G Member Since: Apr 21, 2020
322 of 340

Thanks for the response Vladimir.

For the avoidance of doubt, if I'm responsible will Upwork have a problem with my company sending an off-platform invoice for the VAT amount to any UK based clients (as suggested by Micael N)?

Kind regards, Tom

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
323 of 340

Hi Tom,

Yes, you can create a separate invoice for the VAT charges in order to be compliant with your government's requirements. It will not be considered a violation of ToS.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Tom G Member Since: Apr 21, 2020
324 of 340

Many thanks for the clarification.

Kind regards, Tom

Highlighted
Micael N Member Since: Jul 5, 2016
325 of 340

Notice that all these "clarifications" are regarding sending a off-platform invoice to the client, not receiving an off-platform payment from the client regarding the VAT.

And that matters, because either:

1. It's also allowed to receive an off-platform payment for those extra 20%: you charge 100£, Upwork gets its 20%, the client pays you 20% VAT outside of Upwork, and you end up with 80£ profit

2. Or it's not allowed, and you'll have to charge extra 20% within Upwork to cover for it. If that's the case: you charge 120£, Upwork gets its 20%, you'll have to take 20£ for VAT, and end up with 76£ profit.

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
326 of 340

Hi Micael,

Your second point is correct, all payments need to be processed through Upwork as per Upwork TOS.

The process from your first point would constitute circumvention, which is prohibited by Upwork TOS. You can find more information in Section 7. Non-Circumvention of the Upwork User Agreement. 

Highlighted
Alban K Member Since: Aug 30, 2017
327 of 340

Hi,

I am from Albania, do I have to pay VAT? We dont have such kind of taxes in my country.

Kind regards,

Highlighted
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
328 of 340

Hi Alban,

Upwork charges VAT to freelancers and agencies in certain countries unless specific exemption requirements are met. Upwork is required to collect this tax and pay it to the appropriate government agency. You may want to check with a local tax advisor in your area for further assistance with this. Thank you.

-Joanne
Untitled
Highlighted
Shayan H Member Since: Dec 25, 2018
329 of 340

Hi, my country asks me to pay 19% of my income as VAT that I must have taken from my customer to the tax office. Do you charge my customer with this amount of money or not?

Highlighted
Micael N Member Since: Jul 5, 2016
330 of 340

You wish. You have to pay it from your own pocket.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS