cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequently asked questions about VAT for EU freelancers

Gurgen H Member Since: Mar 12, 2016
11 of 316

Hi

can you please just answer questions which she asked ? and don't copy past the same respnose every time when freelancer ask you about that.

I will repeat one more time, here in the UK, nobody is required to get VAT unless turnover is >83K, it is by law. Why I need to get VAT in this case only for UpWork purposes ?

second question, OK let say, somehow I get my VAT number, and I entered it in Upwork what benefits whill I get there ? in any case if you will not charge me, then my goverment will charge me that VAT, so why you confuse people, what is the hell discussion every time you discuss here ?

just tell people that instead of 20% now, we will take your money even more, and even if somehow you get your VAT number, then instead of UpWork, the amount will be taken by your goverment, 

In any case everybody has to pay VAT in eveyr country, expect some disabled/senior people, or any other.

Again, why you confuse people ? just tell them truth.

KR

Gurgen

Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
12 of 316

Gurgen, please see inline

@gurgen H wrote:

Hi

I will repeat one more time, here in the UK, nobody is required to get VAT unless turnover is >83K, it is by law. Why I need to get VAT in this case only for UpWork purposes ? You don't a VAT ID to work on Upwork. If you don't have a VAT ID Upwork will charge you UK VAT on their services (fees, commission, etc.). If you have a VAT ID and entered into your profile you will have to file the VAT on these services (and everything else you import) with HMRC yourself.

second question, OK let say, somehow I get my VAT number, and I entered it in Upwork what benefits whill I get there ? With just the VAT ID there is no real advantage for you, on the contrary, you have to do the VAT filing yourself. But, if yor are VAT registered, you can claim back the VAT charged to you. You are not required to be VAT registered with a turnover >83k in the UK, but then you can't claim back the VAT your are charged. in any case if you will not charge me, then my goverment will charge me that VAT, so why you confuse people, what is the hell discussion every time you discuss here ?

just tell people that instead of 20% now, we will take your money even more, and even if somehow you get your VAT number, then instead of UpWork, the amount will be taken by your goverment, 

In any case everybody has to pay VAT in eveyr country, expect some disabled/senior people, or any other. Well, not quite. VAT is a consumer tax, businesses, and a freelancer is a business, can claim back the VAT they are being charged, provided they are VAT registered and thus charge VAT to their clients.

Again, why you confuse people ? just tell them truth.

KR

Gurgen

13 of 316

Hi

Thanks for details response. I will try to get VAT, though I don't know how, because I already have TAX account as I work in a company need to pay taxes, so this is another process of getting another TAX account and request VAT number for that account. I have no idea how people living in the UK can do this, seems the person who has a job here, can in general have a 2 TAX accounts or not. The only place I have found that is here:
https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/registration/newbusiness/business-not-allowed

I hope that I can request back my VAT charged by Upwork, when I enter my VAT number there.

KR

Gurgen

14 of 316

Community Guru
15 of 316

@gurgen H wrote:

I am in a progress of suing you. This is not legal in the UK unless your threshould is below than 85K.

**bleep** you business. I am leaving Upwork.

Well, your webchat with HMRC shows you have no idea of what you are talking about and you obviously haven't understood how the VAT system works. Asking the wrong questions will lead to getting the wrong answers.

Massimo S Member Since: Nov 14, 2017
16 of 316

why dont you clarify this once for all.

Thanks

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
17 of 316

Hi Gurgen,

I'm sorry to hear about your decision on both accounts. Please refer to the explanation our Customer Support team provided and the agent's confirmation that Upwork isn't charging VAT on your earnings but on the services provided to you as a freelancer.

Paulo O Member Since: Jun 29, 2017
18 of 316

Hi there!

I live in Portugal and I have a consultancy firm. I would like to use my firm's VAT identifier, but unfortunately that seems not possible.

I have a freelancer account, is that the problem? Should I use an agency account?

Thanks.

Community Guru
19 of 316

@Paulo O wrote:

Hi there!

I live in Portugal and I have a consultancy firm. I would like to use my firm's VAT identifier, but unfortunately that seems not possible.

I have a freelancer account, is that the problem? Should I use an agency account?

Thanks.

Why does it seem impossible?

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
20 of 316

Hi Paulo,

Please check if the number you tried adding can be verified by the VIES database. Let us know if it verifies there but still doesn't on Upwork.