cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequently asked questions about VAT for EU freelancers

Paulo O Member Since: Jun 29, 2017
21 of 316

My VAT number is not getting validated, but I really can't change it, can I?

This VIES thing doesn't seem to work, and I can make no sense to why they ask for two VATs in order to validate just one.

Anyway, I am at dead end, here, I just can't change my own VAT number or make it available.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
22 of 316

Hi Paulo,

If the tax ID that you tried to submit isn't in the format provided by VIES, Upwork won't be able to validate it. Please contact your local tax office to confirm your VAT number is valid.

Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
23 of 316

@Paulo O wrote:

My VAT number is not getting validated, but I really can't change it, can I?

This VIES thing doesn't seem to work, and I can make no sense to why they ask for two VATs in order to validate just one.

Anyway, I am at dead end, here, I just can't change my own VAT number or make it available.

Paulo,

For a VAT number to be valid it has to pass the EU's VIES system. That's the law within the whole EU. You really should get in touch with your tax authorities.

24 of 316

My VAT number is validated through VIES, but I still can't use it. My business name and address are correct, and I don't see any reason for my VAT's rejection.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
25 of 316

Hi Paulo, 

Can you send us a screengrab of the error, making sure that you remove any personal information so that we can check for you.

-Avery
Untitled
26 of 316

Well, I don't see what good could this picture bring, since the error message is quite generic. But here it is.

The whole message of valid VAT, from VIES, contains sensitive data, so there is nothing to show. My VAT is valid, and I have entered multiple times here.

I also copied the name of the firm e address in order to use with Upwork. But, nevertheless, it still gets rejected. 

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
27 of 316

Thanks, Paulo. 

I've shared the screenshot you've shared here to our Customer Support Team. Someone from their team will reach out to you to help resolve the issue.

-Avery
Untitled
28 of 316

It has been almost three days, and my status is pending approval. I guess it will not even be rejected.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
29 of 316

Hi Paulo,

Please respond on the notification our team sent you yesterday in order to proceed with reviewing the problem you reported regarding the status of the VAT number you provided.

30 of 316

Well, I would love that. Where should I look? I read all my emails e notifications on my Upwork's dashboard. What am I missing?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS