cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequently asked questions about VAT for EU freelancers

Ace Contributor
Lucian M Member Since: Jun 25, 2017
311 of 316

The year is closing by and I went to IRS / tax institute a few weeks ago to understand what I actually have to declare, provide proof of how I own this money through work / a job in order to not get a fine or something else greater. I had discussed with the person at the Information desk, providing to her all the history of my work here on Upwork, file by file printed.  She wasn't clear either and we talked for at least 30 minutes. She knew English at medium level which was a bit hard for her to realize the entire subject. She told me to get more info and then return to her.

Now that I have read the main page of this topic and with my previous thread I made a few months ago relating to VAT, I understood only half of it as now I'm still a little confuse.

I have worked for 10$. 2$ is Upwork fee = 8$ - VAT = 7.62$ at the end.

"Amount: $2.00 USD x 19% = $0.38 USD"

From my understanding, this VAT 0.38$ fee tax is going back or "remitting" to my tax authorities through Mini One Stop Shop.

Question 1:

I need to know how does my tax authorities get the signal, something to show up on their screen computer that this VAT tax fee has my identity  ?

Question 2:

This VAT tax fee that was taken from me, it means that I don't have to pay any other taxes in my country? I notice in my invoices that I have 19% which is what my Romanian country current percentage is.

Question 3:

If I don't have to pay any more taxes (by my understandings) and just to show my earnings how can I show the exact proof on paper to my IRS or government that,  tax was already taken from my earnings.

I have to start and form a file in February 2018 to show what I have earned in 2017 and from this sum to tax me.

I do not have a VAT number. Freelancer working from home.

Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
312 of 316

@Lucian M wrote:

The year is closing by and I went to IRS / tax institute a few weeks ago to understand what I actually have to declare, provide proof of how I own this money through work / a job in order to not get a fine or something else greater. I had discussed with the person at the Information desk, providing to her all the history of my work here on Upwork, file by file printed.  She wasn't clear either and we talked for at least 30 minutes. She knew English at medium level which was a bit hard for her to realize the entire subject. She told me to get more info and then return to her.

Now that I have read the main page of this topic and with my previous thread I made a few months ago relating to VAT, I understood only half of it as now I'm still a little confuse.

I have worked for 10$. 2$ is Upwork fee = 8$ - VAT = 7.62$ at the end.

"Amount: $2.00 USD x 19% = $0.38 USD"

From my understanding, this VAT 0.38$ fee tax is going back or "remitting" to my tax authorities through Mini One Stop Shop.

Question 1:

I need to know how does my tax authorities get the signal, something to show up on their screen computer that this VAT tax fee has my identity  ?

Question 2:

This VAT tax fee that was taken from me, it means that I don't have to pay any other taxes in my country? I notice in my invoices that I have 19% which is what my Romanian country current percentage is.

Question 3:

If I don't have to pay any more taxes (by my understandings) and just to show my earnings how can I show the exact proof on paper to my IRS or government that,  tax was already taken from my earnings.

I have to start and form a file in February 2018 to show what I have earned in 2017 and from this sum to tax me.

I do not have a VAT number. Freelancer working from home.

Lucian,

First of all, this are questions you should discuss with a tax consultant.

That said, the $10 you mention are your revenue, the $2 commission are costs which leaves you with a net income of $8. This has to be filed for income tax. The VAT Upwork charged you can be reclaimed if you are VAT registered. If you exempted from charging VAT you cannot reclaim it. But again, please discuss this whole matter with a tax consultant.

Chris W Member Since: Mar 29, 2018
313 of 316

So, for what I understand, this is the tax for Upwork's services. If I do not give my VAT number, Upwork will take care of those taxes, and if I enter my VAT number, I need to take care of those taxes. As a Dutch resident, both cases would result in a 21% increase over the Upwork services. Then what advantage do I gain by entering my VAT number and doing the administration over those taxes?

Gurgen H Member Since: Mar 12, 2016
314 of 316

Hi

please see my question and responses in the 1st 2nd page, same questions is there answered.

KR

Gurgen

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
315 of 316

Hi Gurgen,

We apologize for the late follow up to your question. While previous VAT charges can't be reversed by Upwork, you can consult a local tax adviser about processing a tax return via your local government.

Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
316 of 316

@Chris W wrote:

So, for what I understand, this is the tax for Upwork's services. If I do not give my VAT number, Upwork will take care of those taxes, and if I enter my VAT number, I need to take care of those taxes. As a Dutch resident, both cases would result in a 21% increase over the Upwork services. Then what advantage do I gain by entering my VAT number and doing the administration over those taxes?

If you are ALSO VAT registered and charge VAT to your clients, you can claim back the VAT you paid more easily, that's all. If you have clients in EU member states having a VAT ID will make things for them easier too.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS