🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » GST for freelancers/agencies in India
Page options

GST for freelancers/agencies in India

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Upwork is now collecting General Service Tax (GST) Identification Numbers for freelancers and agencies located in India. We are not currently implementing any tax collection. The GST rules in India are complex, and Upwork is currently working to determine how the GST rules apply to all Indian freelancer and agency transactions being facilitated through Upwork’s platform. At this time, we are only collecting GST ID Numbers. 

We have sent an email to freelancers and agencies located in India notifying them of this update. If you have a GST ID number, we ask you to click the link provided in the email to update your taxpayer identification information. Or you can input the information by going to your “User Settings” and then “Tax Information.” Once you input your taxpayer identification number, this system will confirm that we have received your number.  The system will also let you respond to indicate that you do not have a GST ID number if you are not registered.

If you have any questions about GST or Tax IDs, we recommend that you consult a tax advisor to determine how the law applies in your specific case.

140 Comments
wcskolkata
Community Member

As per my knowledge GST is for business accounts. I person cant have a GST number. I am confused a bit. As I have freelancer account how can I obtain GST number. 

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member

Hi Soumyadip,

If you do not currently have a GST number, you may wish to consult with a trusted tax expert or advisor. Upwork cannot provide tax advice. Thank you.

pradeep_k_srvstv
Community Member

1.Gouran what if someone did not have GST number ? and he have indicated in upwor that i dont have GST number will upwork still charge GST to that freelancer ?

2.Will it be absolutely required for a freelancer to add GST

mukherjeetamal
Community Member

As per my knowledge GST is for business accounts. I person cant have a GST number.

Any professionals or business entity with valid PAN can register for GST. As per new rule, you must register for GST if your gross receipt is above ₹20L. 

VladimirG
Community Manager

Hi all,

Please note that I've closed the previous main thread discussing the Indian Goods and Services Tax (GST) and moved recent posts to this thread, in order to streamline the discussion and more efficiently communicate the information related to the recent update.

Hi Pradeep,

Thanks for your questions. Upwork is currently working with its tax advisors to determine under what circumstances GST must be collected on transactions between Upwork and its users. If it is determined that tax is to be collected, we will contact our users in India to provide an explanation of what transactions will be assessed and the date any collection will start. Since we cannot offer tax advice, we suggest you reach out to a trusted tax expert or advisor to learn more about GST and your tax obligations.

vshirsathe
Community Member

Respected Madam,

I understand there are rules of GST in india, but GST is not appilcable to me, also Upwork charges a good %age as fees and also withdrawing also is being charged my request to you is to reconsider the 1% GST charge which will be another loss for us since, as of now GST is not applicable for me, there are other ecommerce sites like amazon, ebay which only apply GST on goods under GST category, I think it will be double implication of GST and will be unfair to charge so.

Sincerely,

Vikrant

maheshwari_tarun
Community Member

A customer do not need to have a GST to buy any Goods or Services.

only Seller (whose turnover cross 4 million rupee) are obliged to register for a GST number

dsdruchi4
Community Member

What will be if the freelancer is under agency? in this case will you be required Company/agency GST id ?

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Rachana,

If all freelancer's contracts are under the agency and all payments are made to the agency account, then the agency's GST number should be added?

svijay84
Community Member

Is Upwork confirming that freelancers must submit GST number (GSTIN) to continue working here? More clarity on this issue would be helpful because once we apply and get GSTIN we need to submit 3 returns every month. That's a costly, time consuming and unnecessary process for most of us.