cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GST for freelancers/agencies in India

Highlighted
Aslam S Member Since: Mar 21, 2015
31 of 84

Upwork should pay that from fees/earning that they collect from us. They planning to charge extra 1% apart from regular cut ?

Highlighted
PRADEEP K Member Since: Oct 31, 2016
32 of 84
Yes this is what it looks like but maybe better to wait for specifics as of now they charge gst extra from australian freelancers as well google upwork gst australia
Highlighted
Tamal M Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
33 of 84

I've surrendered (filed REG-16) my GSTIN and it's under process for months now. Do I still have to add it in Upwork?

Highlighted
Biju J Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
34 of 84

Hi Munedra,

I pay income tax every year. My earning is less  6 L anuualy. Do I need to register for GSTIN ?.

Highlighted
Ananya S Member Since: May 10, 2020
35 of 84
Hey! I'm new to the upwork space and I am still a bit confused. Will I have difficulty withdrawing my money from upwork if I don't have a gstin? Or will they be charging me 1% of my earnings as gst and then let me withdraw money?
Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
36 of 84

Hi Ananya,

If you do not currently have a GST number, you may wish to consult with a trusted tax expert or advisor. Upwork cannot provide tax advice.

To your second question, at the present time, Upwork is not registered in India and therefore will not assess the GST on transactions there. We are only collecting GST numbers from Upwork users currently. If we as a company are required to register in India in the future and start getting assessed GST, we will let you know.

Highlighted
Shibajyoti B Member Since: Aug 5, 2020
37 of 84

1% of 6K USD  = 60 USD

Highlighted
Soumyadip G Member Since: May 21, 2019
38 of 84

As per my knowledge GST is for business accounts. I person cant have a GST number. I am confused a bit. As I have freelancer account how can I obtain GST number. 

Highlighted
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
39 of 84

Hi Soumyadip,

If you do not currently have a GST number, you may wish to consult with a trusted tax expert or advisor. Upwork cannot provide tax advice. Thank you.

Untitled
Highlighted
PRADEEP K Member Since: Oct 31, 2016
40 of 84

1.Gouran what if someone did not have GST number ? and he have indicated in upwor that i dont have GST number will upwork still charge GST to that freelancer ?

2.Will it be absolutely required for a freelancer to add GST

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS