Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GST for freelancers/agencies in India

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
41 of 84

Hi all,

Please note that I've closed the previous main thread discussing the Indian Goods and Services Tax (GST) and moved recent posts to this thread, in order to streamline the discussion and more efficiently communicate the information related to the recent update.

Hi Pradeep,

Thanks for your questions. Upwork is currently working with its tax advisors to determine under what circumstances GST must be collected on transactions between Upwork and its users. If it is determined that tax is to be collected, we will contact our users in India to provide an explanation of what transactions will be assessed and the date any collection will start. Since we cannot offer tax advice, we suggest you reach out to a trusted tax expert or advisor to learn more about GST and your tax obligations.

Highlighted
Saumya s Member Since: Aug 24, 2020
42 of 84

Is it mandatory to provide GSTIN ( even if we don't have one) to withdraw our earnings  ?

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
43 of 84

Hi Saumya,

If you do not currently have a GST number, you may wish to consult with a trusted tax expert or advisor. Upwork cannot provide tax advice. Please check this help article for more information. 

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Shubham K Member Since: Aug 18, 2017
44 of 84

Hi Saumya,

You shall be able to withdraw your earnings without GSTIN too (via PayPal account). However in many cases PayPal has also started to mandatorily ask for a GSTIN for foreign receipts. Initial withdrawals should not be a problem though.

However a better approach would be to get a GST number, apply for LUT and get your export of service returns filed. This way you will be compliant and expect no troubles in future. This will also establish your business as a formal entity in government records.

Happy to help further, Thanks!

Highlighted
CS Amrut L Member Since: Aug 26, 2020
45 of 84
Is it mandatory to levy GST when payment is received in INR (i.e LFT) from upwork
Highlighted
Tamal M Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
46 of 84

As per my knowledge GST is for business accounts. I person cant have a GST number.

Any professionals or business entity with valid PAN can register for GST. As per new rule, you must register for GST if your gross receipt is above ₹20L. 

Highlighted
Drupal D Member Since: Sep 9, 2020
47 of 84

I have the same question, I am also freelancer, I don't have GSTIN, what to do?

Do we really need this?

Highlighted
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
48 of 84

Hi there,

If you do not currently have a GST number, you may wish to consult with a trusted tax expert or advisor. Upwork cannot provide tax advice. For more information, please refer to this help article.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
Highlighted
Vikrant S Member Since: Jan 14, 2020
49 of 84

Respected Madam,

I understand there are rules of GST in india, but GST is not appilcable to me, also Upwork charges a good %age as fees and also withdrawing also is being charged my request to you is to reconsider the 1% GST charge which will be another loss for us since, as of now GST is not applicable for me, there are other ecommerce sites like amazon, ebay which only apply GST on goods under GST category, I think it will be double implication of GST and will be unfair to charge so.

Sincerely,

Vikrant

Highlighted
Rachana S Member Since: Sep 28, 2017
50 of 84

What will be if the freelancer is under agency? in this case will you be required Company/agency GST id ?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS