cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GST for freelancers/agencies in India

Highlighted
Vishal M Member Since: Jun 2, 2020
61 of 84

Hey Anup Bhai, am not that active on upwork, but am getting on this thread after searching FIRC certificate standard Charted Bank. Am also affiliater, i recived approx 40k usd from my network, they did me Lft through Standard Charted Bank Mumbai, Recieved money through NEFT in my bank account , and i have to withdarw 1 lakh usd, am going mad over this 18% gst & after than income tax that's too much bhai , please help how to deal with this. how to save 18% gst. this is the page where i landed first - https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/FIRC-certificate-from-Upwork/td-p/376583

you or angad S please reply me & help me with best it seems u already face this & delt with

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
62 of 84

Sridhar J wrote:

If you are using LFT to withdraw money from your Upwork account, there is very little chance that you can prove your income is for export services. 

First, when we use LFT to withdraw money from our Upwork account, the bank transaction clearly shows the money has come from Upwork.

Second, Upwork does provide a certificate of earning that shows our earnings in USD.

Reports > Certificate of Earnings

"Certa bonum certamen"
Highlighted
Ankit R Member Since: Feb 9, 2020
63 of 84
You might have received wrong advice from CA there is amendment in this regards have attached it .

It is not required GST no for interstate supply below 20L
Highlighted
Dharmender Yadav A Member Since: Apr 19, 2020
64 of 84

I am a freelancer from India.Can I put my GSTIN under "I am not registered under GST"?Will this stop me from withdrawing my funds.Please reply

Highlighted
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
65 of 84

Hi Dharmender,

Did you mean that you don't have a GST number at the moment? If you do not currently have a GST number, you may wish to consult with a trusted tax expert or advisor. Upwork cannot provide tax advice. Thank you.

Untitled
Highlighted
Amit K Member Since: Nov 12, 2016
66 of 84

Is it compulsory to provide GSTIN details for Indian freelancers? 

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
67 of 84

Hi Amit,

If you do not currently have a GST number, you may wish to consult with a trusted tax expert or advisor. Upwork cannot provide tax advice. You can find more information in the previous conversation on this announcement thread and in this Help article.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
68 of 84

Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Amit,

If you do not currently have a GST number, you may wish to consult with a trusted tax expert or advisor. Upwork cannot provide tax advice. You can find more information in the previous conversation on this announcement thread and in this Help article.

Hi Vladimir, I am in the process of setting up in India, and have in fact consulted several Indian tax professionals who have stated that I do not have to pay or register for GST. I suspect the same applies to many Indian freelancers here.

Now the question that many of us are asking is: Since we are not legally required to have a GST number, can we safely continue without one on Upwork? What is Upwork going to do to freelancers who don't provide their GST number (because they don't have to)? Or is this something that Upwork is still in the process of figuring out?

Some clarification is much needed, even if it's just: "Sorry, we actually don't have the answers to your questions. We're working on it."

Either way, we need to know.

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
69 of 84

Hi Isabelle,

I apologize but I won't be able to advise on your question. Upwork is currently working with its tax advisors to determine under what circumstances GST must be collected on transactions between Upwork and its users. If it is determined that tax is to be collected, we will contact our users in India to provide an explanation of what transactions will be assessed and the date any collection will start.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
70 of 84

Well I guess that's an honest answer. Thanks anyway, I know you're just relaying what the team tells you.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS