Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Getting More Clients to Leave Feedback

Employee
Jeff C Employee Member Since: May 1, 2015
1 of 22

The Job Success Score (JSS) helps high quality freelancers stand out. In a recent survey of Top Rated freelancers, JSS was identified as the second most important thing contributing to a user winning contracts.

 

So it’s no surprise that freelancers want to achieve and maintain a high Job Success Score. However, one of the challenges we frequently hear is the effect lack of feedback or no feedback has on JSS scores, “what is the impact to my Job Success Score when a client doesn’t leave me feedback?”

 

There are many reasons clients may not leave feedback. For example, they may have forgotten or they could’ve been unhappy with the work and didn’t want to leave a negative score. Having a few contracts without feedback typically will not negatively impact your score. However, when you have a large number of jobs without feedback, that can affect your score.

 

In many cases where clients don’t leave feedback, it was because a freelancer ended the contract. However, we understand it can be a hassle for freelancers to follow up with their clients after a contract is over, just to leave feedback on a job. As a result, we are exploring ways to encourage clients to leave feedback. We’ve begun a test to notify clients who haven’t left feedback on a contract after a week. The notifications are sent via email and are also shown in the client’s Upwork account after they login (screenshot below). Since implementing this test, we’ve seen a 10% decrease in jobs ended without feedback. It’s great to see more feedback being given. We will continue to explore more ways to encourage clients to leave freelancers feedback to help build their reputations on Upwork.

 

-Jeff

 

Client JSS Nudge.png

Community Guru
Elba A Member Since: Feb 28, 2017
2 of 22

Jeff C, that's great! I hope you'll go a little further, also include dormant contracts as well (what about 3 weeks without a milestone funded or hours logged), for the client to resume project or close the contract.

Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
3 of 22

@Jeff C wrote:

The Job Success Score (JSS) helps high quality freelancers stand out. In a recent survey of Top Rated freelancers, JSS was identified as the second most important thing contributing to a user winning contracts.

 

So it’s no surprise that freelancers want to achieve and maintain a high Job Success Score. However, one of the challenges we frequently hear is the effect lack of feedback or no feedback has on JSS scores, “what is the impact to my Job Success Score when a client doesn’t leave me feedback?”

 

There are many reasons clients may not leave feedback. For example, they may have forgotten or they could’ve been unhappy with the work and didn’t want to leave a negative score. Having a few contracts without feedback typically will not negatively impact your score. However, when you have a large number of jobs without feedback, that can affect your score.

 

In many cases where clients don’t leave feedback, it was because a freelancer ended the contract. However, we understand it can be a hassle for freelancers to follow up with their clients after a contract is over, just to leave feedback on a job. As a result, we are exploring ways to encourage clients to leave feedback. We’ve begun a test to notify clients who haven’t left feedback on a contract after a week. The notifications are sent via email and are also shown in the client’s Upwork account after they login (screenshot below). Since implementing this test, we’ve seen a 10% decrease in jobs ended without feedback. It’s great to see more feedback being given. We will continue to explore more ways to encourage clients to leave freelancers feedback to help build their reputations on Upwork.

 

-Jeff

 

Client JSS Nudge.png


 _________________________________________________________________________

Jeff, at least that's a step in the right direction and is appreciated.  I'm confident an additional step I'm going to suggest will never happen, but I'm going to suggest it nonetheless.  How about negatively impacting Clients' Scores for not giving Feedback as occurs to Freelancers' Scores for not receiving Feedback? 

 

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
4 of 22

@Pat M wrote:

@Jeff C wrote:

The Job Success Score (JSS) helps high quality freelancers stand out. In a recent survey of Top Rated freelancers, JSS was identified as the second most important thing contributing to a user winning contracts.

 

So it’s no surprise that freelancers want to achieve and maintain a high Job Success Score. However, one of the challenges we frequently hear is the effect lack of feedback or no feedback has on JSS scores, “what is the impact to my Job Success Score when a client doesn’t leave me feedback?”

 

There are many reasons clients may not leave feedback. For example, they may have forgotten or they could’ve been unhappy with the work and didn’t want to leave a negative score. Having a few contracts without feedback typically will not negatively impact your score. However, when you have a large number of jobs without feedback, that can affect your score.

 

In many cases where clients don’t leave feedback, it was because a freelancer ended the contract. However, we understand it can be a hassle for freelancers to follow up with their clients after a contract is over, just to leave feedback on a job. As a result, we are exploring ways to encourage clients to leave feedback. We’ve begun a test to notify clients who haven’t left feedback on a contract after a week. The notifications are sent via email and are also shown in the client’s Upwork account after they login (screenshot below). Since implementing this test, we’ve seen a 10% decrease in jobs ended without feedback. It’s great to see more feedback being given. We will continue to explore more ways to encourage clients to leave freelancers feedback to help build their reputations on Upwork.

 

-Jeff

 

Client JSS Nudge.png


 _________________________________________________________________________

Jeff, at least that's a step in the right direction and is appreciated.  I'm confident an additional step I'm going to suggest will never happen, but I'm going to suggest it nonetheless.  How about negatively impacting Clients' Scores for not giving Feedback as occurs to Freelancers' Scores for not receiving Feedback? 

 

Or, make it impossible to close a contract without leaving feedback, regardless of who tries to close the contract.

 

I'm sure many people will find fault with this suggestion,but speaking only for myself, I think that clients - valuable as they are to the survival of this platform- should not have the ability to harm freelancers' JSS scores simply because they cannot be bothered to leave feedback.   

 

Of course, contract management is an important skill that all freelancers must learn, but even the best contract managers can do nothing if a client simply refuses to leave appropriate feedback.

 

What to do if a client simply disappears is of course another matter entirely, and one that admittedly, I do not have a ready answer for. 


 

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
5 of 22

Or, make it impossible to close a contract without leaving feedback, regardless of who tries to close the contract.”

 

Reinier,

I believe that’s already the case. It’s the best argument for having clients close contracts.

 

Best,

Michael

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
6 of 22

@Pat M wrote:

How about negatively impacting Clients' Scores for not giving Feedback 

 


Other than the fact that clients don't have scores visible by freelancers, a business that punishes, or otherwise negatively impacts its clients for not following its own procedures, is a future bankrupt business.

 

What Upwork just did is a great move and the right way to do things. Punishing or negatively impacting clients is a request that we read here on a regular basis. I really wonder what's going on in the minds of people who run a business and demand their clients to be punished.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
7 of 22

@Rene K wrote:

@Pat M wrote:

How about negatively impacting Clients' Scores for not giving Feedback 

 


Other than the fact that clients don't have scores visible by freelancers, a business that punishes, or otherwise negatively impacts its clients for not following its own procedures, is a future bankrupt business.

 

What Upwork just did is a great move and the right way to do things. Punishing or negatively impacting clients is a request that we read here on a regular basis. I really wonder what's going on in the minds of people who run a business and demand their clients to be punished.

__________________________________________________________________________

Rene, I'm confident you know I was referring to the Client Reviews which are visible.  As I stated, I do believe what UW is doing regarding this situation is a move in the right direction, and I sincerely do appreciate it.  

 

There are those of us who run businesses via Upwork plus additional businesses which have absolutely nothing to do with Upwork and/or oDesk/Elance and never have had anything to do with Upwork and/or oDesk/Elance.  We have more control with those we run that do not involve Upwork.  However, I've found Upwork to have a niche for me.  IMO it's not perfect but is the best of it's kind. 

 

Additionally I'd like to add that we as Freelancers are also "Clients"/Customers here.  In your opinion, Rene, what's going on in Upwork's mind when we're punished per se and haven't done anything wrong?   


 

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
8 of 22

@Pat M wrote:

 

Additionally I'd like to add that we as Freelancers are also "Clients"/Customers here.  In your opinion, Rene, what's going on in Upwork's mind when we're punished per se and haven't done anything wrong?   


 


Lol, exactly. As much I despise this whole idea of "punishment," I don't see why freelancers have to suffer all the consequences. At least give clients some sort of communcation/reputation score or rating.

Active Member
Joel V Member Since: Apr 8, 2019
9 of 22

A good business deal is not about "punishing" anyone.  But there is more to a business deal than just exchanging services for money.  Risk also needs to be factored into the equation.  With UpWork it seems that the risk is always shouldered by the freelancer instead of shared equitably by both parties.

Ace Contributor
Tom R Member Since: Mar 15, 2013
10 of 22

FANTASTIC!!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS