cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Fit available to all freelancers

Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
1 of 116

UPDATE: this thread has been closed from further replies as the feature has been discontinued.

As many of you know, over the past several months we’ve been testing a “Good Fit” badge that appears on the job details page. You’ve also seen mention of the “Good Fit” badge on your My Stats pages under the Marketing Effectiveness area. We show the “Good Fit” badge to freelancers if we believe their skills and experience are a good match compared to other applicants for the job.

Starting today, the “Good Fit” badge is being released to all freelancers. This means, if oDesk finds your work history, job performance, ratings and profile match a job’s requirements and a client’s preferences especially well, you’ll see the green “Good Fit” badge in the top right corner of the job description page.

Many of you have noticed this already during our testing, and you’ve given us input that’s allowed us to improve the preciseness of this feature. Our testing showed freelancers who applied to a “Good Fit” job were four times more likely to be hired than applicants who weren’t shown the badge. Others prefer to stick with their current search and job application preferences. This is fine, you are not required to apply to jobs with a "Good Fit" badge, and you will not be penalized for not applying to jobs marked as a "Good Fit." It's there to signal when we think you'll be a top candidate, but the decision to apply or not is still up to you.

By making “Good Fit” available for all freelancers, we’re hopeful more of you will find this helpful in identifying, applying and winning those jobs that are a best match for you. Obviously, we can’t guarantee the client will hire you if you see the badge, but if you apply, oDesk will rank your application higher in the client’s list than other freelancers who applied without seeing this badge.

We’ve added some important notes about this feature in the FAQs below, so we hope you’ll take some time to read them.

In the future, we plan to display the “Good Fit” badge in your job search to help you further target your efforts and make it possible to filter the job feed accordingly.

As always, your feedback on the feature and the ways we can make it better is most welcome here.

Here are a few answers to common questions regarding “Good Fit”:

FAQs

Q. What happens when I apply to a “Good Fit” job? Will my application be treated differently?

oDesk will rank your application above other applicants who did not see the “Good Fit” badge. We can’t guarantee your exact position in the client’s applicant list, as it is refreshed every time a new candidate applies. It’s possible that other “Good Fit” candidates will rank above you if they’re a better fit.

Q. I saw the “Good Fit” badge on a job, but now I no longer see it for that same job. What happened?

The “Good Fit” calculation is based on your match with the job and how well you compare versus other applicants. Therefore, the calculation gets updated each time a new candidate applies. For example, on Day 1, we may show you the “Good Fit” badge because you’re a top candidate at the time. However, on Day 2, if the job has already received several qualified applicants, you may no longer be a top candidate. We therefore won’t show you the badge -- even if you saw it on Day 1. Because of this real-time updating, it’s best not to delay applying to a “Good Fit” job.

Q. Will I be penalized if I apply to a job that doesn’t have the “Good Fit” badge?

No — you’re free to apply to any job you think is right for you. Your client satisfaction and communication metrics (displayed on your My Stats page) will not be impacted by your choice of job applications.

Q. Will I be penalized if I don’t apply to a job that is listed as a “Good Fit?”

No - you’re free to apply, or not, to any job you think is right for you. Your client satisfaction and communication metrics (displayed on your My Stats page) will not be impacted by your choice of job applications.

Q. The jobs listed as “Good Fit” are not relevant to me, will these calculations be updated?

We welcome your feedback on the jobs noted as “Good Fit.” We’ll monitor the discussions here to capture input along with monitoring the frequency with which freelancers apply to, and win, jobs that are noted as “Good Fit.”

Q. Am I guaranteed not to be auto-hidden if I apply to a “Good Fit” job?

Though your position in the client’s list is never guaranteed, given your “Good Fit” for the job, it’s highly unlikely that you will be auto-hidden.

Q. If I apply to a job with “Good Fit” does this mean my application will never be a “poor fit” as shown on My Stats?

“Good Fit” as described here is not factored into the “poor fit” measurement shown on your My Stats page. In order to avoid further confusion, we've temporarily removed “poor fit” from My Stats until we can provide a better explanation of its use for freelancers.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
2 of 116

So there's Goof Fits and there's Good Fits, but we shouldn't be worried because they're not the same thing. Also, one kind of them changes all the time anyway. I think I feel a good fit coming on...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
3 of 116

Me Too Stephen 

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
4 of 116

I looked at all the jobs listed in my job feed, and found exactly one 'Good Fit', for an Entry Level ($) PHP Developer. Considering my rate is $24/hour, I guess this means oDesk has a very low opinion of my Web Developer abilities. As of now, the job has 6 applicants--the highest any of them charge is $12/hour. So I guess I'm more capable for entry-level work than they are--thanks oDesk for the vote of confidence.

Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
5 of 116

John at least you found one Smiley Tongue I am still not a good fit for anything on oDesk.

Mods, Why am I seeing some jobs and then they disappear on my list of jobs, but if I look logged off I can see all available jobs? Is it being decided for me what I can view now?

Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 116

Well, according to Garnor, 'Our testing showed freelancers who applied to a “Good Fit” job were four times more likely to be hired than applicants who weren’t shown the badge.' But this 'Good Fit' entry-level job has already more than 4 applicants so even if none of them were a good fit, I don't like my chances so I won't be applying. Anyway, I guess the morale is oDesk has such great programmers they look down their noses at me and I should be grateful they're not requiring me to reduce my rate by half. Heck, my success score is only 96%, I'm an embarrassment to the developer community.

Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
7 of 116

"Our testing showed freelancers who applied to a “Good Fit” job were four times more likely to be hired than applicants who weren’t shown the badge"

Oh my God, it gets worse...

That's because you stuck them at the top of the list...self-serving fait-accompli, really don't you think, duuhh???

it's like "Our testing showed that freelancers who were hidden by the robot were ten times less likely to be hired than applicants who were allowed to be shown to the applicant" - except that at least in the Good Fit case the applicant knows that they are a good fit (well, at least temporarily...) Kudos for that at least...

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 116

If this one 'Good Fit' I found is the best oDesk can do, they can take it and stick it where (fill in the blank).

Donna M Member Since: Aug 28, 2012
9 of 116

I'm not sure this is working yet ( at least I hope not) as I have not found one good fit even for someone looking for a sales rep that is native English speaking (which I am) while the few that have applied are not native English speaking.

So John a least you found one. Smiley Indifferent

I am curious does the good fit algorithm take into account what the clients Avg Hourly Rate Paid is in comparison to what the hourly wage that a freelancer is requesting?

If so the system will be flawed as I have worked for clients that may have a lower average rate paid but that will pay higher amounts for Sales reps or other jobs  and much lower rates for Administrative jobs for instance and that would bring down the average hourly rate.

If I am not a good fit simply because my rates are higher being a US citizen and having a much higher cost of living then other countries where they can work for $3.00 per hour or where the client uses lower paid workers for certain tasks thus bringing down their average hourly rate paid then I will never be a good fit.

So does the Good Fit use a clients Avg Hourly Rate Paid as a determination of a good Fit??

Highlighted
Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
10 of 116

I'm not a good fit for any design job listed on first 50 pages. Maybe I should try a different category? Translation?

;-)

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS