Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Good Fit available to all freelancers

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
91 of 116

re: "The hiding of proposals that are not deemed a "Good Fit" by the algorithim is my concern."

 

Brenda,

You can apply to jobs which do NOT display the "Good Fit" badge.

 

If a job doesn't have this badge, it doesn't mean that your job application will be hidden.

 

If you apply to a job and you can see your name in the list of applicants on the job listing page, then it means that your application is accessible to the client, either in the main list or the auto-hidden list.

 

If your job application would not have been blocked or auto-hidden before, it won't be blocked or auto-hidden now that the Good Fit system is in place.

 

Active Member
Brenda B Member Since: Feb 20, 2015
92 of 116

So, Preston, there isn't going to be a relationship between "Good Fit" or not and having one's application hidden?

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
93 of 116

@Preston H wrote:

[...]ODesk does NOT make any money from jobs you apply to and and don't get hired for.

ODesk does NOT make any money when clients post jobs and none of the applicants seem appropriate so the client doesn't hire them.[...]

 


Actually they do, which is my main issue with the connects and membership plan. With the introduction of the membership plan it is actually in oDesk's interest that freelancers burn through their 60 free connects quickly so they sign up for the plan. It's a stupid way of doing business. oDesk should make money when we make money, that ensures that everybody's interest is aligned. If the average job costs two connects ($2) apply for, that's more in revenue than oDesk would make on a $20 contract, because the COGS are lower and there are plenty of $20 projects on this site.

Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
94 of 116

@Krisztina U wrote:
Actually they do, which is my main issue with the connects and membership plan. With the introduction of the membership plan it is actually in oDesk's interest that freelancers burn through their 60 free connects quickly so they sign up for the plan. It's a stupid way of doing business. oDesk should make money when we make money, that ensures that everybody's interest is aligned. If the average job costs two connects ($2) apply for, that's more in revenue than oDesk would make on a $20 contract, because the COGS are lower and there are plenty of $20 projects on this site.

Also keep in mind that many freelancers will be spending those 2 connects applying for a job.  It is not unusual for me to see some jobs that interest me float above 100 applicants, so you're looking at the possibility of 200+ connects being spent on a job.  It may be true that some of them are the spam that oDesk is looking to curb, but it remains to be seen what materially changes under the new system.

 

But in the spirit of fairness, the proper valuation of a Connect is not the direct $10 for 10 price, but the adjusted $10 for 70 (and upward if more are purchased).  And even then there will only be a percentage of people who purchase them, so the realized value will likely be below $0.05.

 

 

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
95 of 116

Fair point, Darrin - but keep in mind that people can "pay" more connects to get on top of the list - on Elance that's called a sponsored bid, which I assume will be possible on oDesk as well, although I am not 100% sure, so the average actually goes up. And even if oDesk earned as little as $0.05, it's a numbers game, and it's money earned without an exchange of value (at least in my book), so it's a highly questionable business practice (again, in my book). I see tons of jobs on Elance that have 50+ applicants with a dozen being sponsored ones, so I believe the connect system has already proven to be ineffective in curbing spam. 

 

Additionally, oDesk admitted several times that it will continue to hide applications, so someone could be paying the maximum of 5 connects, and end up hidden. 

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
96 of 116

@Krisztina U wrote:

Fair point, Darrin - but keep in mind that people can "pay" more connects to get on top of the list - on Elance that's called a sponsored bid, which I assume will be possible on oDesk as well, although I am not 100% sure, so the average actually goes up. And even if oDesk earned as little as $0.05, it's a numbers game, and it's money earned without an exchange of value (at least in my book), so it's a highly questionable business practice (again, in my book). I see tons of jobs on Elance that have 50+ applicants with a dozen being sponsored ones, so I believe the connect system has already proven to be ineffective in curbing spam. 

 

Additionally, oDesk admitted several times that it will continue to hide applications, so someone could be paying the maximum of 5 connects, and end up hidden. 


 

Krisztina,


I ask about this early on in this thread about getting at the top of the list with more connects and I think it was Garnor who replied it will not get the to the top of the list. They would not be implementing on oDesk as they have on Elance with the connects.

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
97 of 116

@Suzanne N wrote:

Krisztina,


I ask about this early on in this thread about getting at the top of the list with more connects and I think it was Garnor who replied it will not get the to the top of the list. They would not be implementing on oDesk as they have on Elance with the connects.


Thanks, Suzanne that's good to know. I suppose the top is reserved for those who come with a "recommended/good fit" badge. 

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
98 of 116

@Krisztina U wrote:

@Suzanne N wrote:

Krisztina,


I ask about this early on in this thread about getting at the top of the list with more connects and I think it was Garnor who replied it will not get the to the top of the list. They would not be implementing on oDesk as they have on Elance with the connects.


Thanks, Suzanne that's good to know. I suppose the top is reserved for those who come fit a "recommended/good fit" badge. 


I assume that is the purpose. I know that it was stated the the good fit badge applicants would be put at the top.

 

 

Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
99 of 116

Hi Krisztina and others,

I'm working on gathering some additional information regarding Good Fit and why it is/isn't appearing as much as you'd expect. I'll follow up here on the discussion soon. Thanks for your patience.

Active Member
Brenda B Member Since: Feb 20, 2015
100 of 116

From what I can tell so far from my experience, the algorithim seems to be based upon key words that appeared in jobs we are working on an hourly basis.

 

The unfortunate part is that it is simplistic at this point....keywords by themselves can be misleading. E.g., "comic" (as in comic strip), "comic" (as in comic book).... "graphic" as in graphics for web site,  or "graphic" as in graphic novel. That sort of thing can, of course, occur among all the various categories offered on Odesk.

 

There may be keywords that ignore OTHER keywords, for example: comic strip and T shirt and logo all in one job description. Perhaps a freelancer might want to do one or two, but not all.

 

There are also words that are extremely important to applicants such as "fast" being overemplasized (better for an agency to apply rather than individual).

 

 

 

 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS