cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Fit available to all freelancers

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
11 of 116
Donna, I don't believe that cost of living should be a factor in how you calculate your rates or how clients pay you. You should be charging a higher rate than other contractors because you bring more value to your clients, not because of where you live.

I can assure that my cost of living has absolutely nothing with the rates I charge clients.

I believe you absolutely can compete against contractors from countries where the cost of living is lower. There are many successful oDesk contractors in the United States and Europe and other places where the cost of living is higher. There are many clients who prefer hiring people from these more expensive locales, because of the positive experiences they have had with high quality, higher paid contractors.

Consider these things and market yourself accordingly.
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
12 of 116

Hi Donna,

I've confirmed your rate, and what the client has paid in the past, are not factors in determining a Good Fit. We've accounted for the scenario you describe here.

Ace Contributor
Donna M Member Since: Aug 28, 2012
13 of 116

Thanks Preston.. That I do I give my best and charge for it as you said all should do

I just hope that the Good Fit algorithm doesn’t take the clients average rate in comparison to a freelancers stated rate into account as that would be unfair to freelancers that do charger higher rates because they do a good job and know their worth.

They shouldn’t be put at a disadvantage and deemed as inappropriate and unsuitable simply because their rates are higher than a client’s average which can be skewed due to lower priced jobs in a entirely different line of work

Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
14 of 116

@Donna M wrote:

I just hope that the Good Fit algorithm doesn’t take the clients average rate in comparison to a freelancers stated rate into account as that would be unfair to freelancers that do charger higher rates because they do a good job and know their worth. 

On the flip side, I think it should make a difference if the client has a consistent history of hiring the absolutely cheapest people available regardless of quality.  For example, I don't ever want to work for someone who mainly sees oDesk as a way to skirt their local minimum wage laws.  I don't care how much they might be paying for the one particular job I'm looking at, that client will not ever be a "Good Fit" for me.

Community Guru
Ian David John E Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
15 of 116

Hi Garnor,

Can you check my oDesk profile you can see it speaks for itself! Yet i have no good fit badges showing on any jobs i research that I am a good fit for. This is not good!!!!

Thanks In Advance

Ian

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
16 of 116

I am not a good fit for any job either, not even the ones oDesk "recommended" to me. It makes me laugh. Just tell us which jobs we're allowed to do, and which freelancers a client is allowed to hire, and get it over and done with please. If executed well, I'd love the concept of a Good Fit indicator, but I have seen the freelancers oDesk deemed a Good Fit by recommending them to my job, and sorry to say, I would've had a better shot at getting my project completed by hiring the first random person off the street.

Community Guru
17 of 116

Hi Krisztina, Ian and others,

We didn't turn this on for all freelancers until yesterday evening.

Community Guru
18 of 116

Thanks, Garnor - I checked a few hours ago so I guess I am just not fit for any job posted on oDesk despite the fact that I have a pretty diverse skill set!

Community Guru
19 of 116

Thanks for reporting back Krisztina. We'll take a look to ensure there aren't any issues preventing you from seeing this.

Community Guru
20 of 116

@Garnor M wrote:

Thanks for reporting back Krisztina. We'll take a look to ensure there aren't any issues preventing you from seeing this.

Thanks, I'll stay tuned.

On a separate note, you guys lost over 300 hours off my profile. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS