Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Fit available to all freelancers

Highlighted
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
21 of 116

@Garnor M wrote:

Thanks for reporting back Krisztina. We'll take a look to ensure there aren't any issues preventing you from seeing this.

Any news on this, Garnor? I still can't find any jobs that I am deemed a good fit for. It also seems that you guys are now filtering the jobs we can see since there is a discrepancy between what I see when logged and what logged in. Is this a new unannounced feature or bug? If it's a feature, I wonder why jobs I am not a good fit for aren't filtered out from my view.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
22 of 116

Hi All,

We appreciate your comments on this thread and will be sharing your reports with the Team so we can improve the Good Fit functionality. I will also get back to you with the answer to question whether the hourly rate paid by the client on average and the profile rate of the freelancer are counted for defining a Good Fit after I get clarifications from the Team.

Also, I would like to point out that currently, you can only see if a job is a Good Fit from the job details page. However, we are building the functionality to allow you to filter your searches and job feeds so that you only see jobs that are a good fit for you if you wish. Of course, you will still be free to apply to whatever jobs you choose.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
23 of 116

Thanks for your hard work, Valeria. When you ask the team, could you also please ask why a separate indicator (good fit) is being worked on, when jobs that we're deemed a good fit for could be displayed in the recommended jobs tab? I don't quite understand the purpose of the "recommended" tab in my job feed, although oDesk is right in not deeming me a good fit for any of the jobs in it. Perhaps you could shed some light on that?

Is the good fit badge replacing the recommended jobs tab? And shouldn't the good fit badge and recommended jobs feature run on the same algorithm for the sake of consistency?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
24 of 116

Hi Krisztina,

Good point. I checked with the team and they confirmed you should expect to see changes to the composition of the recommended jobs list in the coming months as we match up the factors going into this list with what is being produced on Good Fit.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ian David John E Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
25 of 116

Hi All,

This is very worrying!!!!

This is why I asked oDesk to not bring in the connects system until all these problems are sorted out!

But on this problem its going to hurt me even if the connects system is in place or not.

oDesk please look at my profile its as good as it gets!!!

Smiley Sad

Ian

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Dejan H Member Since: Jan 29, 2015
26 of 116

What more to say about these changes? You want to do good things, but you obviously lack the skills to do it. 

First, your job success would be an amazing thing if you can modify your metrics. Thanks to jobs that I closed and didn't get any feedback, my success rating dropped dramatically and I don't get interviews. 

Next, you display it on my profile where all clients can see it, so they can decide that they don't want to hire someone who has such a low success rate.

And finally, you implement a good fit option, and I'm obviously not a good fit to any job, so freelancers who are a "good fit" will be displayed on top.

So just to clarify everything: Your ridiculous metrics leads to significantly low job success, which leads to lack of interviews. Then you display it so the clients will less likely hire me, and then when I apply for a job, you put other freelancers on top.

How amazing is that?

Highlighted
Mary Grace L Member Since: Feb 20, 2015
27 of 116
That's FREElancing at the Elance-oDesk platform.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
28 of 116

Okay... I have seen a lot of complaints about the Good Fit feature.

Let me weigh in here with one point:

I think this is a VERY GOOD IDEA.

I get it that it doesn't seem to be working perfectly for all of us.

But I really don't think the concept is a bad one and I don't see how it hurts contractors at all.

I look it as an additional tool which may be helpful, perhaps more helpful as it is improved upon.

But I have carefully studied what things have a negative impact on our accounts, and I have read the information about Good Fit, and I really do NOT BELIEVE this hurts us in any way. If it's not working for you, and you want it to work better, I agree. But I don't think it can do us any harm, and I don't believe at all that failing to apply to Good Fit jobs will hurt us, or that the "Good Fit" status of a job we do apply to will affect our profiles.

I also genuinely believe that if we apply to a "Good Fit" job we will have a better chance of getting hired for that job.

ODesk representatives came right out and said that when we apply to a "Good Fit' job they're going to put our name at the top of the candidate list and highlight our "Good Fit" status.

Stephen called that "self-serving fait-accompli." Well, yes, that's true. But that's part of the intentional design of how "Good Fit" works. I think of this as a useful fact and an additional tool in my oDesk arsenal.

It is NOT working well for everybody. But unlike some other new oDesk features and changes, this one is completely *optional*.

Highlighted
Community Guru
29 of 116

@Preston H wrote:

Okay... I have seen a lot of complaints about the Good Fit feature.

Let me weigh in here with one point:

I think this is a VERY GOOD IDEA.

I get it that it doesn't seem to be working perfectly for all of us.

But I really don't think the concept is a bad one and I don't see how it hurts contractors at all.

I look it as an additional tool which may be helpful, perhaps more helpful as it is improved upon.

But I have carefully studied what things have a negative impact on our accounts, and I have read the information about Good Fit, and I really do NOT BELIEVE this hurts us in any way. If it's not working for you, and you want it to work better, I agree. But I don't think it can do us any harm, and I don't believe at all that failing to apply to Good Fit jobs will hurt us, or that the "Good Fit" status of a job we do apply to will affect our profiles.

Happy for oDesk that they made at least one contractor happy with this. But if you don't see how promoting poor fits and putting them on top of the clients applicant's list isn't hurting those who are truly qualified yet don't get promoted, then I am not sure what to say. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
30 of 116

re: "But if you don't see how promoting poor fits and putting them on top of the clients applicant's list isn't hurting those who are truly qualified yet don't get promoted, then I am not sure what to say."

Krisztina, you are absolutely right. I DO see how this can be harmful, although I think in practice you may be overestimating the negative impact.

Despite all that, I think the concept itself is a good one. Would your opinion of "Good Fit" be different if you saw it working right for you? If you saw jobs which you really think are a good fit marked with this label, and if you knew that when you apply to one of those jobs, you'll be at the top of the list?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS