Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Fit available to all freelancers

Highlighted
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
31 of 116

@Preston H wrote:

I DO see how this can be harmful, although I think in practice you may be overestimating the negative impact.

Despite all that, I think the concept itself is a good one. Would your opinion of "Good Fit" be different if you saw it working right for you? If you saw jobs which you really think are a good fit marked with this label, and if you knew that when you apply to one of those jobs, you'll be at the top of the list?

I base my opinion on the year or so in which I have seen applicants come with a recommended badge (aka "good fit") that, for a lack of a politer term, were completely useless and irrelevant to what I was looking for. So I won't accept the overestimating impact argument because I have seen it not work too often for that.

I did mention in my initial post that I do like the concept of the Good Fit, but, and it's a gigantic but, oDesk can't execute so speculating about how great a working Good Fit feature would be is purely philosophical at this point. The cold reality is didn't work a year ago, it didn't work a month ago, and excuse my pessimism, at this point, I highly doubt it'll work in a year from now. In order to make it work, oDesk would actually have to listen and objectively observe and adjust, but as we were told, everything is great, because Good Fit freelancers are 4x more likely to get hired which is a funny and very self serving way to measure the success of the feature. How about some stats about client satisfaction? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
32 of 116

Preston,

They have stated that applications to jobs that are deemed a good fit will be placed higher on the applicants' list - and so, by logic, vice versa. So it does hurt us, by manipulating where our applications show in the application list for any given job.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
33 of 116

"They have stated that applications to jobs that are deemed a good fit will be placed higher on the applicants' list - and so, by logic, vice versa. So it does hurt us, by manipulating where our applications show in the application list for any given job."

Stephen:

I failed to take that into account when I said that Good Fit doesn't hurt us.

I trust that Good Fit does not directly affect our oDesk profiles if we apply or do not apply to Good Fit jobs.

But, yes, now that you and Krisztina pointed it out, I understand the negative impact that Good Fit may have on our ability to land a job when we're applying for a job which does NOT display the Good Fit label and other applicants for the same job DO see the Good Fit label.

I wasn't thinking about that, even though I realize it was pointed out previously on this thread.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
34 of 116

Regarding Good Fit as it applies to me personally.

I have never actually applied to a Good Fit job before. I didn't see it before yesterday. Maybe I wasn't on the list of people who it was released to yet. Or maybe I wasn't looking in the right place.

For the record, when I click on the "Recommended" link on my job feed, I see a page with 20 listings.

Out of these lisings, 4 of them have a "Good Fit" label.

I think 2 of these really are asking for things I don't have experience with and would not be comfortable applying to.

2 of these are actually not bad fits which I would not mind applying to if I had time.

I wouldn't say that any of them are "Great Fits." But the feature is called "Good Fit," and in my case, looking at this small sampling, I'd say that this is an accurate label for 2 out of the 4.

Highlighted
Brenda B Member Since: Feb 20, 2015
35 of 116

Hi, Everyone!

My experience is unfortunately the same as Preston's.

I believe the problem stems from the fact that there are things that simply defy quantification.  While they are helpful, computer programs cannot assess and evaluate quite as well as the human mind. (Thank goodnesss.....)

Unless the "Good fit" feature isn't activated for me yet, jobs that are just like ones I have successfully done before (right here on Odesk) do not have the "Good Fit" label. However, I will keep a watch in the future. Perhaps that will change.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
36 of 116

Valeria wrote earlier,

"I will also get back to you with the answer to question whether the hourly rate paid by the client on average and the profile rate of the freelancer are counted for defining a Good Fit after I get clarifications from the Team."

So you're on the oDesk customer service team yet you don't know? Common sense would indicate that a freelancer with a $3 an hour rate is not a good fit for a job description that specifies Expert ($$$) for example. I was insulted when a Entry Level($) job was designated a Good Fit for me--my rate is $24 an hour and I NEVER apply for any Entry Level($) jobs.

Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
37 of 116

@John K wrote:

Valeria wrote earlier,

"I will also get back to you with the answer to question whether the hourly rate paid by the client on average and the profile rate of the freelancer are counted for defining a Good Fit after I get clarifications from the Team."

So you're on the oDesk customer service team yet you don't know? Common sense would indicate that a freelancer with a $3 an hour rate is not a good fit for a job description that specifies Expert ($$$) for example. I was insulted when a Entry Level($) job was designated a Good Fit for me--my rate is $24 an hour and I NEVER apply for any Entry Level($) jobs.

John,

You should be nice now. Customer Service doesn't know everything and at least she offered to find out. I would much rather hear I don't know then giving some convuluted explaination that really has nothing to do with it or the incorrect information.

She did say she would find out for you.

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
38 of 116

@Suzanne N wrote:

John,

You should be nice now. Customer Service doesn't know everything and at least she offered to find out. I would much rather hear I don't know then giving some convuluted explaination that really has nothing to do with it or the incorrect information.

She did say she would find out for you.

Valeria and Suzanne,

I apologize, but I'm a little emotional about this because I've been asking about the relevance of hourly rate to Good Fit for 2 days now, and the only direct replies I received have been from freelancers saying I should be glad I came across one Good Fit, which struck me as a bit patronizing because it's for a job I wouldn't even consider applying for because I regard myself as capable of more than entry-level work.

Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
39 of 116

I understand and I was one of those saying you were lucky to come across one as I still see nothing that is a good fit. I look at it this way I am unique and have special skills all upon themself Smiley Tongue just kidding, but sometimes it takes time to find an answer to something. I do customer service all day and most of the time can answer a question off the top of my head, but when it is something new many times I have to discuss it with the powers that be to get details and specifications on things, and sometimes it takes me a day or two. Although I try to do it faster it doesn't always happen.

Sometimes no one has a concise answer unfortuanately. And I know I have been hard on the mods wanting answers but I do also understand they can't know everything although they would like to.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Donna M Member Since: Aug 28, 2012
40 of 116

Preston, also consider the new connects system in relation to Good Fit

Why would anybody use 2 to 5 connects to apply for a job that does not say Good Fit because some unknown algorithm has determined them to not be a good match for that job even though they may be perfect, so they spend money to be put at the bottom? What’s next hiding applications that are not a Good Fit?

Also remember you can apply and be a Good Fit and the top of the pile when you originally apply but if someone else applies that the unknown algorithm (with unknown weighted parts) decides that applicant is a better fit you are then placed farther down the list.

I can't see how this helps either freelancer or client?

I am starting to wonder with all the changes does oDesk want to be a Freelance community or a temporary agency as they seem to want to decide what is best for  both freelancer and client

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS