cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Fit available to all freelancers

Community Guru
Md Rahatur R Member Since: Apr 17, 2013
71 of 116

Ian, as per the functionality of the "Good Fit" badge it used to represent the freelancers (something like standing out). So clients do not need to see the badge.

Also do you think if freelancers has the option to turn on/off the "Good Fit" badge then anyone will turn that off? So whats the point leaving it to the freelancers?

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
72 of 116

And I'm confused as to where my post went. I'm not aware it breached any guidelines and it only stated the obvious. If a freelancer sees a job that they know is a good fit for them, but doesn't have a good fit badge, they may apply for it, but the application will be listed lower than other applications that have been deemed by a robot/algorithm/call it what you want, to be  good fit. That's not in dispute. What is in dispute is the ability of that algorithm to determine what is a good fit - and there are numerous reports on these pages that it quite obvious isn't very good at choosing what is a good fit.

So, while freelancers are encouraged in the oDesk blurb to be very selective in applying to jobs they know themselves are a good fit for, they are in fact penalised if (as often happens) the algorithm hasn't also deemed the job a good fit. So in effect they're being told that they have a better chance of applying to some jobs that they know they are not good fit for.

Garnor says

"Are you saying that because of the Good Fit badge, [...] by the way is not visibile to clients, you were quickly identified, hired and paid by clients to whom you delivered work?"

Yes, maybe, but the point is (and it's forever being danced around but really isn't going away) that the algorithm isn't fit for purpose, because it makes bad decisions. The fact that Rahatur came across a rare one where it made a good call doesn't change this. The elephant is in the room.

Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
73 of 116

@Garnor M wrote:

That sounds like the feature really helped in identifying a job post that led to a working job for you. I'm confused why that's a bad thing.

Because it is in oDesk's best interest to seek a global maxima rather than a local maxima.  It is to Rahatur's credit that he sees this.  It is worrisome that such objective thinking confuses people at oDesk.

Ace Contributor
Sadak N Member Since: Jan 30, 2010
74 of 116

I can"t see "good fit" for any job!!! I am not a good fit for any jo???!!!

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
75 of 116

Well I had to come in to say I actually saw several tonight that were a good fit and would be something if I was looking for full time I would have applied too. One even sounded fun being the greeting and customer service for robots to welcome people at their locations lol.. So I will give oDesk a bit of credit maybe the Good Fit will pan out once they tweak a bit. All jobs that I looked at this evening that were good fit were actually expert jobs and good pay.

Ace Contributor
Dejan H Member Since: Jan 29, 2015
76 of 116

I also noticed a good fit badge for some ridiculous job. And I love how you can say to one freelancer: "Great, that is why we did it," while 99% of us tells you that it doesn't work. As I already said -- let clients decide who is the best person for their job. oDesk has tried to determain that, and failed. We all see that.

Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
77 of 116

I find it a bit strange that none of the invitations I have received lately (even the ones for editors) have had the good fit badge. You would think if the client thought you were a good fit then you are probably a good fit for the job.

Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
78 of 116

One of my active contracts started on February 23. When I applied, the 'Good Fit' badge wasn't there, but now, when I've already been hired, and the job is no longer available, the badge is showing!

Community Guru
Ian David John E Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
79 of 116

oDesk here is my Good Fit thoughts and feedback!

In short Good Fit is not working very well with my skills and profile I should have many more Good Fit badges showing up on jobs posted on oDesk.

Here are your words about my work you said "In a few weeks, we’re launching the "Top Rated" program to recognize our highest-performing freelancers, and you’re one of them. We value your consistent, high quality work and want to help you be even more successful. "

Good Fit to me seems almost useless in its current form! I love the idea its just not working well.

Also connects are coming soon so we need all the help we can get from the Good Fit system. Come on oDesk you need to get this right!!!!

Ace Contributor
Dejan H Member Since: Jan 29, 2015
80 of 116

Well, it seems that things are improving. I was a good fit on 3 jobs that are actually my area of expertise. Maybe it is a coincidence or they are improving their system. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS