🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Project Catalog™—now available globally!
Page options

Project Catalog™—now available globally!

lenaellis
Community Member

Over the past few months, many of you have helped us test and refine our newest Upwork offering: Project Catalog. 

Through your contributions, feedback, and support, we’re thrilled to announce that Project Catalog is now officially live for the entire Upwork community—talent and clients alike.

If you’re not familiar with Project Catalog (or just want a refresher), here’s a quick introduction:

Project Catalog is where the work you love finds you. Build and sell your own project offerings based on the type of work you want more of. Each project will be listed on Project Catalog, ready for clients to purchase for a fixed price in just a few clicks. Once a client purchases, they’ll fill out any requirements you’ve requested, and you’ll be set to get to work.

It’s an easy way to get more eyes on your offering and land new projects quickly—all while putting you in the driver’s seat. That means you and your clients can get started right away, and with confidence.

Check out this video to learn how clients will discover and purchase your projects. 

Stay tuned for more exciting rollouts 

Project Catalog is just the beginning of a series of exciting new ways to land clients on Upwork, adding to Talent Marketplace, the current platform you already know and love.

But no matter how you choose to use Upwork to grow your independent work, know that we’re dedicated to helping you build the strong and profitable relationships that are the foundation of a growing business.

We want to thank you for your hard work and the contributions you make to creating a thriving community on Upwork.

Happy New Year—may it be your most rewarding one yet!

824 Comments
craigpetty93
Community Member

Does mean you don't have to use connects for upwork if you go with this new Feature for upwork?

veroalana
Community Member

Hello everyone!

I just submitted my first projects to the project catalog system. But I know these types of systems work best for the freelancers who appear on the first page. I'm wondering, which is the criteria used to determine which freelancer go on the first page. 

Does anyone know anything about this? Does anyone have had success in this new system in Upwork?

Thanks.

researchediting
Community Member

Valeria K wrote:

....Here are some tips for improving your projects and making sure they are attractive to clients and catch their eye:

• Highlight your project in simple, jargon-free language.

• Choose professional images that speak to your work. 

• Proofread your work so there are no typos.

• Don’t use click bait, text-heavy graphics.

Ick. I hope Upwork means cant rather than jargon (the field-specific technical language a client and contractor may use to most efficiently and effectively communicate). Given its general cluelessness about professional freelancing, I'm not placing any bets.
I am baffled by the seeming conflation of click bait and text-heavy graphics. I can't imagine what one has to do with the other.

As others have pointed out, the language workers among us are put at a serious disadvantage when eye-catching graphics are required for a listing. Upwork's proposed solution to use stock images is no solution at all.

NikolaS

Hi Craig,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Yes, that is correct, you do not need to use Connects for Project Catalog. To learn more about Project Catalog, click here.

gina-herrera
Community Member

Craig P wrote:

Does mean you don't have to use connects for upwork if you go with this new Feature for upwork?

The only people who should be worrying about connects is those who work for $15 an hour or less, anyone else stressing about connects have bigger problems because they are failing at winning enough proposals to make the cost of connects worth their time. Should be the last thing on your mind about this new rollout.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Gina H wrote:

I was going to say a lot more but someone already took the liberty of stealing my reddit comment and pasting it here as their own Smiley LOL hilarious

Anyways, the general consensus among freelancers is that this program is trash and you will soon see that it's a failure - I can't wait to watch this flop. High end clients may get frustrated and not want to use the site anymore, and others who come here specifically because they hate Fiverr will now look elsewhere. Also, clients will price shop since they will have access to pricing right off the bat. Tl;dr - it's funny that Upwork seriously thinks this is beneficial to anyone including themselves.

This is the problem with "You don't have to use the Project Catalogue, you can keep using UW the way you always have." Especially given the berserk matching algorithm that does NOT serve a client the best-matched talent UW has to offer. 

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Gina H wrote:

Craig P wrote:

The only people who should be worrying about connects is those who work for $15 an hour or less, anyone else stressing about connects have bigger problems because they are failing at winning enough proposals to make the cost of connects worth their time. Should be the last thing on your mind about this new rollout.

Oh, I think that is precisely who this thrilling new feature was built for. Never mind what kind of havoc it might play with the rest of the marketplace.

gina-herrera
Community Member

Phyllis G wrote:

Gina H wrote:

Oh, I think that is precisely who this thrilling new feature was built for. Never mind what kind of havoc it might play with the rest of the marketplace.

Already had my first "loss" to the project catalog, today someone reached out to me from a US only job post about a branding package for $100 (lol). I told them it was impossible for them to receive good work for that price because my base rate for just a logo is more than 5x their entire budget. They said they understood - checked the post again a few hours later and sure enough, they had started a project "You will get a perfect branding package" from someone who charges a hot $11 an hour. At least they were nice about it :'D

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Gina H wrote:

Phyllis G wrote:

Gina H wrote:

Already had my first "loss" to the project catalog, today someone reached out to me from a US only job post about a branding package for $100 (lol). I told them it was impossible for them to receive good work for that price because my base rate for just a logo is more than 5x their entire budget. They said they understood - checked the post again a few hours later and sure enough, they had started a project "You will get a perfect branding package" from someone who charges a hot $11 an hour. At least they were nice about it :'D

Oh, dear, I'll take losses like that all week long. 

gina-herrera
Community Member

Phyllis G wrote:

Oh, dear, I'll take losses like that all week long. 

exactly why loss is in quotes - having the audacity to reach out to a 90$/hr freelancer for a $100 flat rate logo is honestly hilarious. Perfect candidate for the Catalog.