cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodbye beta, hello Project Catalog™—now available globally!

singhnirmal24
Nirmal S Member Since: Feb 12, 2020
11 of 613
Thanks, it's sorted now 👍
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
12 of 613

Hi Nicholas and Joshua,

We hear your concern and want to assure you our intent with Project Catalog is not to force you to change how you work. It is just another option for freelancers to market their skills and for clients to get help with their projects on Upwork. It is not required and you definitely can continue using Upwork the way you always have.

~ Valeria
Upwork
feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
13 of 613

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Nicholas and Joshua,

We hear your concern and want to assure you our intent with Project Catalog is not to force you to change how you work. It is just another option for freelancers to market their skills and for clients to get help with their projects on Upwork. It is not required and you definitely can continue using Upwork the way you always have.

But it IS going to force us to change how we work. The project catalogues will take away business from any freelancer who chooses not to use this feature, because fewer clients will post projects for us to bid on. I've decided to try it out because I feel like I have no choice, but I'm pretty sure that it won't work for me; if I have no advantage in being able to craft a tailor-made proposal and address a client's unique needs, then nobody is going to hire me over a cheaper freelancer. 

What worries me most is that Upwork is actually vetting project catalogue listings and rejecting them for things like images being low quality, or text that contains typos. Meanwhile, profiles in the regular marketplace continue to be auto-accepted no matter how terrible they are. So if clients look at the catalogue and see much higher-quality results as compared to doing a normal invitation-type search, then they're going to lean towards using the project catalogues.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
14 of 613

Christine A wrote:

The project catalogues will take away business from any freelancer who chooses not to use this feature, because fewer clients will post projects for us to bid on. 

Hi Christine,

Actually we expect that new clients may have their first interaction with Upwork through Project Catalog or existing clients may explore a new category that they're not experienced in hiring in by using Project Catalog. We have heard this feedback from clients directly. We also expect them to continue using the platform by posting jobs for their other needs, as several clients have shared this with us. Taking away clients from the marketplace and to Project Catalog isn't the intention. Bringing more clients to the platform in general is.

~ Valeria
Upwork
abinadab-agbo
Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
15 of 613

Can someone have a go at explaining why a freelancer with a solid 100% JSS month on month would have a 4.5-star rating on the catalogue while another freelancer at sub-90% would have a 4.9 star?

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
16 of 613

Hi Abinadab,

Star rating shown on the project tile is an average of star ratings the freelancer received on all their contracts since they registered on Upwork, while JSS is calculated over 24-, 12- and 6- months and also takes other factors into consideration such as private feedback, long-term relationships, jobs with higher earnings, etc. Currently, the star-rating is shown on the project tile while the Project Details page will include both, the star rating and JSS. That said, we may revisit this as we further improve this feature.

~ Valeria
Upwork
elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
17 of 613

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Abinadab,

Star rating shown on the project tile is an average of star ratings the freelancer received on all their contracts since they registered on Upwork, while JSS is calculated over 24-, 12- and 6- months and also takes other factors into consideration such as private feedback, long-term relationships, jobs with higher earnings, etc. Currently, the star-rating is shown on the project tile while the Project Details page will include both, the star rating and JSS. That said, we may revisit this as we further improve this feature.

I came here to inquire about the stars as well:

Screenshot 2021-01-23 at 19.54.13.png

The star rating isn't visible on our stats pages anymore and hasn't been for a long time. We all know why it had to go... it wasn't a good enough measure of our track record and could be manipulated. So instead we got the JSS.

And now the stars are back in the limelight? Front and center? A metric I cannot even check on my own profile? Or will it make a comeback on our profile pages as well? And sit there next to the JSS possibly w/o an explanation just like the magic blue bar?

2a05aa63
Community Guru
Viacheslav K Member Since: Sep 9, 2015
18 of 613

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Abinadab,

At least remove the top-rated removal ones? I mean I have only 5 yet the general rating is 4.8 which is ridiculus.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
19 of 613

Viacheslav K wrote:

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Abinadab,

At least remove the top-rated removal ones? I mean I have only 5 yet the general rating is 4.8 which is ridiculus.

Thanks for finding this, Viacheslav, and for your suggestion!

Best,

Michael

m_terrazas
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
20 of 613

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Abinadab,

Well, this is totally absurd.
If you have 5 stars in the profile, the project should show 5 stars.
Also, the JSS should appear, no stars. There are many 4/5 star profiles that have low JSS, due to poor private reviews.
What is intended, to deceive customers?
Please, a little seriousness.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS