cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodbye beta, hello Project Catalog™—now available globally!

m_terrazas
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
21 of 613

A doubt. Why can't the "Project Catalogs" be flagged?
I've been looking at it and either I'm blind or it can't be done.
I have come across fake photos and stolen portfolios, but there is no way to flag them.
The only way to do it is by accessing the freelancer's profile.
Is it to hinder a little more?

Edited because GIna already told me where it was.
In front of my noses!

gina-herrera
Community Guru
Gina H Member Since: Aug 10, 2020
22 of 613

Maria T wrote:

I just checked, if you scroll down past the description there is a flag that says "Report this Project"

But agreed with everything else you said for sure

m_terrazas
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
23 of 613

Gina H wrote:

Maria T wrote:

I just checked, if you scroll down past the description there is a flag that says "Report this Project"

But agreed with everything else you said for sure

Thanks Gina, as I said, I'm going blind Smiley Embarassed
No matter how many times I looked up and down I couldn't see it!

ericaandrews
Erica A Member Since: Jul 12, 2020
24 of 613

I encountered the same problem: Every project I tried to add to the catalog got "rejected", once for using an image where I had to black-out/redact things to satisfy an NDA with a past customer: It was a great screenshot of my work, but the client said I could only use it if I hid certain information about his computer systems. Most of the work I do requires an NDA, which bascially means I can't post any images of my past work into the project catalog if they are required to be "un-redacted" and "unedited".

Several other project submissions were rejected when  the Upwork "screeners" didn't agree with how I "categorized" my projects.  I do IT work exclusively, but when I submitted a project related to technical writing and IT business analysis/project management, Upwork rejected it and said I needed to 're-categorize' it under "Graphic Design" / "Info graphics", which is not where my future clients would think to look if they were looking for *IT* and *System* documentation.  If I posted my project into a category that made no sense for IT, it would either not be seen by the right clients or would attract clients looking for "graphic design" and "advertisement" "infographics", wasting my time and theirs.  It didn't make any sense because I know my industry and how/where clients will search for my work much better than a generic person "screening" my project and deciding where to file it on Upwork.  The available categories are too limited and don't cover most of the available services in IT. I just got frustrated with it and gave up.   They need to go back to the OLD way where freelancers posted these types of available one-time "side projects" directly on their profile, with direct control over the images, description, pricing, and categorization.  I already have my own web site for handling one-time non-upwork contracts of this type, so I'll just keep using that for now.

I agree that this new "feature" is eventually going to steal work away from long-time freelancers that have long-term client engagements, because you'll eventually have new people join Upwork with no Upwork client experience, simply posting projects promising to build entire e-commerce websites for $2 just to land their first Upwork gig.

bstojadinovic
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
25 of 613

Hi Erica,

Thank you so much for the valuable feedback regarding categories. I see that our team sent you an email when your project was declined which outlines a specific reason why that happened and some suggestions on how to improve. I encourage you to check that email out!

~ Bojan
Upwork
web-developer786
Md Liton H Member Since: Mar 31, 2021
26 of 613

Exactly. 

zoomconcepts
Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
27 of 613

Exciting, yeah. I'm particularly excited to see how your marketing pushes the idea that you're a 'talent'-focused space, yet almost all steps you've taken lately try to turn said talent into mindless cogs, and to take away more and more business agency from them. If I wanted to run a shop, I'd be on Etsy or Fiverr. 

egaruth
Nikola S Moderator Member Since: Jul 2, 2020
28 of 613

Hi Madhav,

Thanks for your question. Project ranking depends on the search query, talent quality, and offering competitiveness. We are actively fine tuning and updating our ranking strategy to ensure fairness and robustness.

~ Nikola

Untitled
arfat-hossen
Community Leader
Arfat H Member Since: Jun 11, 2019
29 of 613

Hi Upwork Team,

Please reply as soon as possible. Yesterday a client gave me a project catalog message. I answered her. Then today this message is showing. Does that mean he bought my service? Or what could be the next step if I start working?

Thanks

Arfat Hossen

tinker_bell3
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
30 of 613

Hi Arfat,

I checked, and it looks like the client mesaged you to discuss the project in detail. When a client buys your project you get a push notification, an email, and a message in Upwork Messages. Since projects are time-sensitive, it’s a great idea to download the freelancer mobile app and turn on your push notifications. When a client buys your project, the idea is that they are agreeing to what you've pre-defined in your project. So a contract will be created and the milestone will be funded. You'll be notified whenever a purchase happens and a contract room will automatically be opened, at which point you can start messaging. The next step is waiting for the client to provide requirements to you, which were also defined upfront by you when you created the project. Only after the client submits requirements does the due date get set and the "clock" starts for you. Once you deliver the work by the due date, the client can approve (just like a fixed-price contract), funds will be released, the contract will be closed automatically, and your client will be prompted to leave feedback. Note: You can check your notification settings by clicking here.

~ Joanne
Upwork
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS