cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodbye beta, hello Project Catalog™—now available globally!

gina-herrera
Community Guru
Gina H Member Since: Aug 10, 2020
81 of 613
“I am also not cheap in my category and Upwork said (in not so many words, and sort of between the lines, but clearly) that they show clients cheap stuff first.“

... are you serious? If they are showing cheap stuff first how does this benefit anyone? Cheap clients don’t make the site $.

I wonder if they are assuming the budget clients will go to this catalog offering and the rest will contact freelancers directly or put up a post.

The real question is why is upwork so desperate to limit the back and forth between client and freelancer when that conversation is often what prevents bad feeling and thus, arbitration.
feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
82 of 613

Gina H wrote:
The real question is why is upwork so desperate to limit the back and forth between client and freelancer when that conversation is often what prevents bad feeling and thus, arbitration.

I would imagine that there are several advantages in discouraging pre-contract communication (for Upwork, not for clients or freelancers):

1. Clients won't realise that the "fluent" English-speaker they're hiring doesn't actually speak much English at all. 

2. Clients won't ask questions and realise that the freelancer has misrepresented their skills and doesn't actually know how to do the task.

3. Freelancers won't have the opportunity to ask detailed questions, realise that the set budget doesn't cover the client's expectations, and decline the project.

4. Freelancers won't be able to sense that a client is demanding or unprofessional or difficult, and refuse to work with them.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
83 of 613

Gina H wrote:
“I am also not cheap in my category and Upwork said (in not so many words, and sort of between the lines, but clearly) that they show clients cheap stuff first.“

... are you serious? If they are showing cheap stuff first how does this benefit anyone? Cheap clients don’t make the site $n.

Of course I am serious.

Valeria K wrote:

Project ranking depends on the search query, talent quality, and offering competitiveness.

Can we please confirm that "competitiveness" is a euphemism for "cheap"?

Why not just call it "cheap"? It won't feel any better, but at least it would not feel like we're being made a fool out of.

gina-herrera
Community Guru
84 of 613

Petra R wrote:

Can we please confirm that "competitiveness" is a euphemism for "cheap"?

Why not just call it "cheap"? It won't feel any better, but at least it would not feel like we're being made a fool out of.

I hadn't noticed that, but totally agreed that it's definitely an alternative word for cheap.

Higher cost freelancers don't offer "competitiveness" - I don't think any of us compete on pricing ever, the price is the price and if you don't like it go elsewhere. But this approach with the Catalog will definitely take some people "sitting on the fence" and deciding between a $300 and a $500 freelancer to go with the cheaper option if we were to participate, because all they can judge based on at first glance is one picture and one price, there is no cover letter to solidify communication and language skills or ensure that everyone is on the same page with deliverables and explain WHY someone is worth $200 more. Another girl already posted within the first or second day of the catalog rollout that their very first offer needed to be canceled because they were unclear on the (very clearly) listed deliverables.

At the end of the day I am hoping that clients looking for very cheap work will go to the Catalog, and those who take the hire seriously will stick to things as they are but who knows.

craigpetty93
Craig P Member Since: Jan 11, 2021
85 of 613

Does mean you don't have to use connects for upwork if you go with this new Feature for upwork?

egaruth
Nikola S Moderator Member Since: Jul 2, 2020
86 of 613

Hi Craig,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Yes, that is correct, you do not need to use Connects for Project Catalog. To learn more about Project Catalog, click here.

~ Nikola

Untitled
gina-herrera
Community Guru
87 of 613

Craig P wrote:

Does mean you don't have to use connects for upwork if you go with this new Feature for upwork?

The only people who should be worrying about connects is those who work for $15 an hour or less, anyone else stressing about connects have bigger problems because they are failing at winning enough proposals to make the cost of connects worth their time. Should be the last thing on your mind about this new rollout.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
88 of 613

Gina H wrote:

Craig P wrote:

The only people who should be worrying about connects is those who work for $15 an hour or less, anyone else stressing about connects have bigger problems because they are failing at winning enough proposals to make the cost of connects worth their time. Should be the last thing on your mind about this new rollout.

Oh, I think that is precisely who this thrilling new feature was built for. Never mind what kind of havoc it might play with the rest of the marketplace.

gina-herrera
Community Guru
89 of 613

Phyllis G wrote:

Gina H wrote:

Oh, I think that is precisely who this thrilling new feature was built for. Never mind what kind of havoc it might play with the rest of the marketplace.

Already had my first "loss" to the project catalog, today someone reached out to me from a US only job post about a branding package for $100 (lol). I told them it was impossible for them to receive good work for that price because my base rate for just a logo is more than 5x their entire budget. They said they understood - checked the post again a few hours later and sure enough, they had started a project "You will get a perfect branding package" from someone who charges a hot $11 an hour. At least they were nice about it :'D

gilbert-phyllis
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
90 of 613

Gina H wrote:

Phyllis G wrote:

Gina H wrote:

Already had my first "loss" to the project catalog, today someone reached out to me from a US only job post about a branding package for $100 (lol). I told them it was impossible for them to receive good work for that price because my base rate for just a logo is more than 5x their entire budget. They said they understood - checked the post again a few hours later and sure enough, they had started a project "You will get a perfect branding package" from someone who charges a hot $11 an hour. At least they were nice about it :'D

Oh, dear, I'll take losses like that all week long. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS