Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highlighting Top Talent to Quality Clients

Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
41 of 46

Christine A wrote:

I also think that there should be an application fee to join Upwork in the first place; you could put it towards hiring human beings to actually read the applications, instead of auto-accepting them.

Great points Christine.

But NO to this one. Upwork should remain the marketplace it is.

In fact, I think it was a huge mistake to have been rejecting over 90% of new freelancer applications, as was reportedly happening during Stephane Kassriel's tenure (I don't know if it continues).

Not every freelancer in the rejected 90% was essentially buttom-of-the-rung; some of them were highly qualified in some niches.

My great fear is that they left to another platform that welcomed them in open arms.

My great fear is that they are about to gather critical mass over there.

You know this thing about demand creates supply. For Upwork; for Upwork, there should be demand for their services first.

The platform(s) that welcomed the rejected freelancers believe(s) that supply creates demand.

I have no idea which of these two schools of thought will win.

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
42 of 46

Abinadab A wrote:

Christine A wrote:

I also think that there should be an application fee to join Upwork in the first place; you could put it towards hiring human beings to actually read the applications, instead of auto-accepting them.

Great points Christina.

But NO to this one. Upwork should remain the marketplace it is.

In fact, I think it was a huge mistake to have been rejecting over 90% of new freelancer applications, as was reportedly happening during Stephane Kassriel's tenure (I don't know if it continues).

Not every freelancer in the rejected 90% was essentially buttom-of-the-rung; some of them were highly qualified in some niches.

My great fear is that they left to another platform that welcomed them in open arms.

My great fear is that they are about to gather critical mass over there.

There's no need to fear that there aren't enough freelancers here, and I disagree that quantity equals quality anyway. I guess you weren't around a few months ago to read the thread about the hundreds of freelancers who had been auto-accepted by falsely claiming to be Australian voiceover artists, when they clearly weren't? And I guess you don't know about the tens of thousands of people who belong to groups on Facebook and elsewhere, where accounts are bought and sold and advice is given on exactly how to lie about your skills in order to get your profile accepted? I agree that some quality freelancers are undoubtedly being turned away, and an application fee would actually help to address that. Currently, liars and con artists who game the system are being rewarded with auto-acceptance of their profiles, while people who are honest about their abilities are less likely to be accepted. And then these dishonest freelancers go on to scam clients and discourage them from ever hiring someone here again. It's a situation that needs to be addressed, and if not with an application fee, then what do you suggest?

Community Guru
43 of 46

Christine A wrote:

It's a situation that needs to be addressed, and if not with an application fee, then what do you suggest?

I don't know the magic silver bullet for this problem.

What I'm sure of is that it's not an application fee.

It is in Upwork's existential interest, as a freelance marketplace that registration on its marketplace be free.

Community Leader
Alexander B Member Since: Mar 30, 2017
44 of 46

The application fee for joining Upwork is actually a good idea. And after you earn $10,000 on Upwork, I'd also like to add that Upwork could give you back the money you paid for the application fee, for extra incentive. 

I'm surprised Upwork doesn't give you a month of free premium membership for every $10,000 in revenue you generate. These little small things would go a long way to creating a DELIGHTFUL experience on this platform.

Community Guru
45 of 46

Iliana M wrote:
  • How could Upwork better help you achieve that success?

Deemphasise the US-only, or UK-only, or whatever-only feed.

Nobody needs that.

However, continue to strengthen your ID and location verification processes for profiles for all countries (and not, more stringent procedure for select countries).

Clients should continue to be able to express location preference in their job posts.

Ace Contributor
Stefan K Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
46 of 46

Here is my idea of how you can better value top-rated freelancers. Or at least not to insult them.

Top-rated freelancers (or those with some level of earning) should not pay for the connects.

While buying the connects is not a big fee, we are already paying a lot on fees with existing contracts. This is like paying for the job of sourcing and finding new contracts.  Moreover, new contracts are already charged with higher fees. I understand the reason for price on connects - I am fine to filter out spammers and make bids more relevant. But well-established freelancers do not need this filter. We do the filter ourselves on a huge amount of postings, checking the briefs quality, credibility and billing history. We have to bid carefully only on jobs that seem to be promising.

While Upwork is putting new fees for everybody, this particular fee is kind of insult to the hard work of those who are here even longer than Upwork itself. Just remove this for freelancers with certain earning or ratings. This would be a more palpable sign that you value the work of top-rated freelancers, rather than some update to the portfolio tools on the platform. This is not a very needed thing.

Otherwise, this connects are like a low-cost airline policy, when they are charging even for the seat number to survive in the market. You do not have to do this, but you do. And even with your business passengers. And that is insulting...

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS