Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Identity Verified badge soon required for all earning freelancers

Highlighted
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
31 of 633

Hi Yasmin,

Thanks for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
Michelle M Member Since: Aug 6, 2019
32 of 633

I am having the same issue as Yasmin. Can you assist?

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
33 of 633

Hi Michelle,

May you please clear your cache and cookies or log in with another browser to check if you`re able to use the verification link provided in your support ticket. Once you initiate the process our agent will follow up to guide you through the process and advise you directly about any of your concerns.

Let us know if the issue persists.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
34 of 633

Erica G wrote:

Will there be another option in place of a video call? Not everyone has access to that option. I have a smart phone with no video calling nor do I have a webcam. Could you have a unique specific phrase that we could write on a paper and take a selfie in place?

They want to see you on camera so they know that you are the same person that the one on your profile and that your ID is on the same name. There is no selfie or piece of paper that can do this.

And they can (and will) check again in the future. Because people are selling their accounts to people who use them to scam clients. So better find yourself a webcam. You can buy one for few dollars.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Ace Contributor
Karen B Member Since: Apr 12, 2019
35 of 633

I don't understand how buying a webcam is going to help.  My computer doesn't support it!  I have a Panasonic Toughbook, and I've researched it, and it looks like I'll have to buy a new computer or phone to make this happen.  

What I COULD do (I think) is record a quick video on my phone of me verifying my identity and then attach it to a file.  But it would be more like a 10 second video -- no 10 minute call as was mentioned in the instructions.  I would have to record on my phone, and then email to my computer to be able to attach (and it would have to be really short for it to be able to email).  I

Carolyn F Member Since: Jun 28, 2019
36 of 633

Rene, NO I don't believe they need 10 minutes of video of identification or video at all. They want video for facial recognition software training and tracking. You tagline about darkness is right on. Thanks for the confirmation and warning. Smiley Happy

Ace Contributor
Karen B Member Since: Apr 12, 2019
37 of 633

I don't get how unverified freelancer accounts are scamming clients.  I mean, they're not paying anything until the work is done, right?   

Brian Douglas C Member Since: Jun 20, 2019
38 of 633

I'm confused.  You already have my driver's license ID and back in May the video phone call was done.  This needs to be done again or did I just receive a bulk email?

Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
39 of 633

Hi Brian,

Thanks for reaching out to us. As part of our ongoing work to keep the Upwork marketplace a secure place for freelancers and clients, verification is sometimes required more than once. We do try to avoid doing this repeatedly and apologize for the inconvenience it may cause.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
Carolyn F Member Since: Jun 28, 2019
40 of 633

You don't care much about freelancers. Otherwise, you'd be making these requirements of those hiring too. Upwork people are getting increasingly out of line.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS