cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identity Verified badge soon required for all earning freelancers

Erica G Member Since: Mar 13, 2019
11 of 836

Will there be another option in place of a video call? Not everyone has access to that option. I have a smart phone with no video calling nor do I have a webcam. Could you have a unique specific phrase that we could write on a paper and take a selfie in place?

Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
12 of 836

Hi Erica,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Kindly, refer to your existing ticket as one of our team members already gave you all the available options for Video Verification.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
Erica G Member Since: Mar 13, 2019
13 of 836
Except they didn't give me "available options". They just said it was video required ( no options for which app or programs suffice to make such a call), that's it. If you are going to now make this a requirement, some options would be more helpful to your freelancers.

Since we have to verify our credentials, will there now be mandatory verified payment/identity on the client side?
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
14 of 836

Erica G wrote:
Except they didn't give me "available options". They just said it was video required ( no options for which app or programs suffice to make such a call), that's it. If you are going to now make this a requirement, some options would be more helpful to your freelancers.

Since we have to verify our credentials, will there now be mandatory verified payment/identity on the client side?

You don't need apps or programs for the process. You do need a camera, internet access, and a browser. Everything else is provided by Upwork's contractors. I did it by phone without having to do anything but follow the provided links.

We are the ones who control whether or not we work before payment verification. There is no point in inviting Upwork in to insist on a step (payment verification) that is not necessary for negotiating a contract.

And no, Upwork will not be requiring identity verification from buyers, despite its apparent effort to stratify buyers and shift expenses to the lower-revenue ones. Scamming clients and scamming contractors represent different problems and require different solutions. For now, the clients' identity is verified by the color of their money.

Cecilia K Member Since: Sep 17, 2015
15 of 836
I'm closing my account with Upwok --a difficult decision. I've worked through oDesk, then Upwork for nearly ten years. My identity was verified years ago. Yet, here is yet another decision to place even more personal information in the cloud about each contractor. We're given a choice, then threatened if we do not comply. This is wrong.

Upwork raised fees from 10% to 20% and raised fees to the number of bids, etc.

Enough!

Upwork is in a highly competitive field in the arena of many outsourcing companies. That said; I used to think oDesk (later changed to Upwork), worked with me to foster an excellent work environment. I no longer feel this way.

Many other outsourcing companies work with their contractors.
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
16 of 836

Hi Cecilia,

I'm sorry to hear that you are uncomfortable with this process. In general, Upwork has security measures in place, and teams dedicated to ensuring the security of the Upwork platform and your information. We continue to refine these systems and processes so we stay ahead of any site attacks.

Also, all the information you submit when verifying your identity is kept secure. Access to your information is reserved exclusively for Upwork agents who have passed strict background checks and our third-party vendor. Our system stores your ID image for 30 days with exceptions in cases of fraud. Thank you.

Untitled
Carolyn F Member Since: Jun 28, 2019
17 of 836

There is NO web-based storage that can claim it is "secure" or "safe". You, I, Upwork, every IT person, and everyone who uses the web knows that. Even the FBI has been hacked. Upwork, no matter how good their IT dept., can compete with that. I am tired too of endless requests for critical personal info, esp when it is one sided.

Ace Contributor
Karen B Member Since: Apr 12, 2019
18 of 836

I fully agree with you!  I don't like the way that Upwork is moving.    I'm looking into other venues.

Monty R Member Since: Jul 1, 2019
19 of 836

I believe that the writing is on the wall - and this service, as dearly as I've loved my interaction here - has become less contractor/client focused, and more shareholder friendly. I expect the following to happen soon:

a) You'll be MANDATED to get a certification badge (costing $9.99 plus tax a year) - otherwise you might not be allowed to bid (or your bids will come with an added "tax")

b) You'll need to "revalidate" your identity every year - for a small "processing fee" of course (to keep costs down and continue to keep the platform "affordable")

c) Every interaction with clients will be "taxed" - one way or another (including new Milestones assigned to existing contracts)

This is the ONLY way the platform can justify confidence from shareholders. I'd be surprised if one/all of these aren't already in the works.

I work closely with a group of off-shore individuals (also UpWork contractors) - none of them intend to stick around for too long here. I hope we don't lose some of the brightest and best that UpWork has!!

Did someone say "alternates" - share, please?

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
20 of 836

Monty R wrote:

> a) You'll be MANDATED to get a certification badge (costing $9.99 plus tax a year) - otherwise you might not be allowed to bid (or your bids will come with an added "tax")

> b) You'll need to "revalidate" your identity every year - for a small "processing fee" of course (to keep costs down and continue to keep the platform "affordable")

This sounds like a yearly plan. Ten dollars per year? Lol, that's nothing, it wouldn't bother me at all, but if they implement such a mandatory fee, my guess would be ten dollars per month. I would still buy it. Actually, some freelancers have already floated the idea in the forums in the past as a way to get rid of spammers.

> c) Every interaction with clients will be "taxed" - one way or another (including new Milestones assigned to existing contracts)

No, I don't see this happening, but they may very well get rid of the Freelancer Basic plan and make it mandatory for people to buy a paid plan, maybe with some connects included. I don't know. I wouldn't be strictly against it, all depends on the price.

As for an alternative, they are plenty of freelancing platforms out there. The only thing that one should base their decision upon while picking a platform is: what is the net cost/benefit ratio for me on this platform? Period.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless