cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identity Verified badge soon required for all earning freelancers

Ramona-Diana M Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
231 of 363

Rene K wrote:

Because they want to know if it's you and not someone you sold the account to.

No. I'm sorry, but It doesn't make sense. If person A sells the account to person B, then person A can easily make the requested video call, then the person B (who bought the account) still can work with that account and you will still have no idea at all who works in fact with that account.

I'm just tryin' to tell you that a 60 seconds video call does not guarantee the user's true identiy, isn't it? Let's be honest about the reason of doing this....

And in the end, we all know that this will make a lot of users migrate to other freelancing websites. So sad, I'm with odesk/upwork since 2012. I'm so sad seeing all these mandatory changes.

Ray E Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
232 of 363
You have the right... I won't be working for UpWork either; this is just tracking for nefarious purposes, we all know our clients, we do great work, we don't need to be verified by people we don't know and who we haven't verified. ODesk was great.. Elancer, which sucked, took over ODesk and named it UpWork and things have been downhill ever since..

Don't comply, I'm not going to
Carla V Member Since: Jun 23, 2019
233 of 363

Joanne Marie P wrote:

Hi Carla, 

I've shared your concern with the team and one of the team members will reach out to you via support ticket to assist you further. Thanks!

Thanks, Joanne! I'll be waiting.

Natalie L Member Since: Jul 4, 2019
234 of 363

I've been asking questions to Upwork about how they're handling our Government-issued ID.

Whilst they have explained their policy, they have said they are handing our ID to a third party. I have asked who they are and what they are going to do with our IDs.

After more than 2 days, I have not received a reply to this.

Does anyone else who the third party is? It is highly unusual for Upwork to fail to respond with an actual answer for so long (in my experience), so I am very wary about sending my ID to them. I don't know who they are giving it to and what they are going to do with my ID after verification.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
235 of 363

Natalie L wrote:

I've been asking questions to Upwork about how they're handling our Government-issued ID.

Whilst they have explained their policy, they have said they are handing our ID to a third party. I have asked who they are and what they are going to do with our IDs.

After more than 2 days, I have not received a reply to this.

Does anyone else who the third party is? It is highly unusual for Upwork to fail to respond with an actual answer for so long (in my experience), so I am very wary about sending my ID to them. I don't know who they are giving it to and what they are going to do with my ID after verification.

Valeria, in her reply to several people in this thread (Jul 11, 2019 03:07:19 PM), indicated that Upwork does not disclose the name of the third-party vendor, and addressed legal concerns in a general way.

Ray E Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
236 of 363

So nobody gets to know the 3rd party vendor's identity nor do we get to know the people requesting this at UpWork. A quick search of UpWork on google shows Bloomberg says the CEO is a 44  year old Standford graduate, so Standford is directly linked to the NSA since the 60s, so clearly it is government tracking to just keep everyone **Edited for Community Guidelines** to government; why else would you need a "government" id?

Question, is there a list of approved UpWork  "governments"? (aka groups of people that rob and control others at gunpoint). Please provide a list of governments and who approved those government gangs to provide ids ...

Gent S Member Since: Jul 15, 2019
237 of 363

This should not be required.. Looks like many bad changes are coming to Upwork.. 

Omkar K Member Since: Jul 15, 2019
238 of 363

I received a email today to verify my identity, but when I click on the link with URL 

https://www.upwork.com/ab/identity-verification/

it redirects me to 

https://www.upwork.com/ab/find-work/

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
239 of 363

Hi Omkar,

May you please clear your cache and cookies or log in with another browser to check if you`re able to use the verification link provided in your support ticket. Once you initiate the process our agent will follow up to guide you through the process and advise you directly about any of your concerns.

Let us know if the issue persists.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Omkar K Member Since: Jul 15, 2019
240 of 363

I tried to upload my passport picture but I get 

Please try again with a valid official government ID.