cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identity Verified badge soon required for all earning freelancers

Highlighted
Brian Douglas C Member Since: Jun 20, 2019
51 of 2,832

I'm confused.  You already have my driver's license ID and back in May the video phone call was done.  This needs to be done again or did I just receive a bulk email?

Highlighted
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
52 of 2,832

Hi Brian,

Thanks for reaching out to us. As part of our ongoing work to keep the Upwork marketplace a secure place for freelancers and clients, verification is sometimes required more than once. We do try to avoid doing this repeatedly and apologize for the inconvenience it may cause.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
Highlighted
Carolyn F Member Since: Jun 28, 2019
53 of 2,832

You don't care much about freelancers. Otherwise, you'd be making these requirements of those hiring too. Upwork people are getting increasingly out of line.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Karen B Member Since: Apr 12, 2019
54 of 2,832

You're right, once again!  A couple months ago I wasted time and energy applying to a series of fake jobs.  What is Upwork doing to verify that the clients are who they say they are?  Isn't that more of a priority?

I can see maybe doing some sort of verification process for new freelancers.  It doesn't have to be this complicated or invasive though.  But certainly established freelancers who have multiple clients and steady earnings shouldn't be a concern.

Highlighted
Anna M Member Since: Jun 20, 2019
55 of 2,832

Hello Upwork team, 

I already uploaded my ID, however, when I click on Start Chat to have my video call, it doesn´t work. I allowed the cookies for Upwork and doesn´t work either. I tried with Chrome and Safari and neither of two works. What can I do and when I'm going to find out if my I.D. meets the requirements. ? 

Thank you so much. 

Anna

Highlighted
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
56 of 2,832

Hi Anna,

Thanks for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
Highlighted
Richard C Member Since: Jun 20, 2019
57 of 2,832

What sort of identification/security issues is Upwork Having? We had to do this in 2018. Having to to this more than once is time consuming. I have no other memberships to sites which requires doing this more than once.

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
58 of 2,832

Hi Richard,

As part of our ongoing work to keep the Upwork marketplace a secure place for freelancers and clients, verification is sometimes required more than once. We do try to avoid doing this repeatedly and apologize for the inconvenience it may cause. 

We don't target any specific freelancers or a group of freelancers when requesting verification. The goal is to verify all freelancer profiles on the marketplace. So far it's helped us to identify profiles that are fake or fraudulent and protect genuine users and the marketplace as a whole. 

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Roksalena S Member Since: Jun 10, 2019
59 of 2,832

Good news.

But what do you mean by all earning freelancers?

Do you have to verify your identity straight after you register to the site or once you get your first contract? 

it is not very clear.

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
60 of 2,832

Hi Roksalena,

Thanks for your question. We are rolling out this requirement to earning freelancers, entailing those who have earned on Upwork, and we’ll notify them when it’s time to verify their identity.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS