cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identity Verified badge soon required for all earning freelancers

Carolyn F Member Since: Jun 28, 2019
51 of 1,165

Bojan, by "protecting users" you mean those posting jobs. All your efforts and policies are toward "protecting" those posting jobs, not freelancers. Even your rehtoric talks like we are chattel and Upwork is a pimp.

You and any representative from Upwork have YET to address any of these concerns and issues that many people are voicing. This is probably my fifth or sixth post and multiple others have posted about our concerns. Yet, no one from Upwork has addressed a single one of those comments. 

What's up Upwork people? You know you're out of line when you can't address the criticism. Come to the table like responsible adults and companies. Or are you indeed a scam operation, like the other lady claims?

Ace Contributor
Karen B Member Since: Apr 12, 2019
52 of 1,165

Indeed -- the silence from Upwork regard valid concerns of freelancers is deafening!

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
53 of 1,165

Carolyn F wrote:

Bojan, by "protecting users" you mean those posting jobs. All your efforts and policies are toward "protecting" those posting jobs, not freelancers. 

Of course they want to protect clients. While they have a payment protection program for freelancers (which works fine for hourly jobs, not that much for fixed rate jobs), their efforts are obviously aimed at making clients happy and to make them feel safe.

Unhappy freelancers and clients will ditch Upwork and move onto a different platform. It would be silly indeed not to like Upwork and to remain here. Since they have way, way, more freelancers than needed and they need more clients, you bet they try to retain the later ones and not the former ones.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
54 of 1,165

Richard C wrote:

What sort of identification/security issues is Upwork Having? We had to do this in 2018. Having to to this more than once is time consuming. I have no other memberships to sites which requires doing this more than once.

Thank the freelancers "renting" out their profiles to some dude in China for this fun process.

Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
55 of 1,165

I'd suggest you roll it out and make it compulsory after a freelancer's first $400 earned.

Some who sign up here today are broke. While they can afford Connects, they might not be able to afford passports, etc. So if you give them some time so they can put things in order, put things in place, and do the necessary travels to whatever govt. department issues the required ID, that would be better.

Keep in mind that some who sign up today live in the desert and have never had a government-issued ID.

Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
56 of 1,165

I think this method might disadvantage freelancers with some kinds of disability, e.g. speech disability.

Can Upwork come up with more verification methods for this class of people?

Upwork should consider adding keycode verification, as is done on some other sites.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
57 of 1,165

Abinadab A wrote:

I think this method might disadvantage freelancers with some kinds of disability, e.g. speech disability.

The video call has a text chat option.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Amanda F Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
58 of 1,165

My government issued ID won't go through for some reason! It keeps saying it is blurry but it isn't at all. It is clear and should be able to verify. What can I do? 

EDIT: it went through that time but now it is saying they need to review it within a business day.

I did the video chat before, do I need to do it again as well? It is checked off in my profile and says completed on 2017-03-27 and after I uploaded my ID it asked to do it again even though it is still checked off in green on my profile as completed unlike the government ID that I have in now for verification, but if it needs to be done please let me know as I do not want interruptions for my work! 

Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
59 of 1,165

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Once it is requested our team will reach out to you via ticket with detailed instructions on how to complete this short process. At the moment you don't have any pending requests to complete our any of the verification process.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
Community Guru
Amanda F Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
60 of 1,165

Aleksandar D, It was approved 3 hours ago and looks like I didn't need to verify by video again since I did this a short time ago, so I now have the badge. I didn't need to open a request or anything, my ID was already uploaded and said it needed 1 business day. It failed to go through the first time, then I reuploaded it and it was put on a wait, and then they approved so others who can see that your ID isn't blurry and has everything they asked in the image just try uploading again and they'll manually check it. I assume they all need to be checked manually anyways but yet it comes up and says that it is trying to process the verification while you sit there, and that doesn't work so you need to upload it again until it goes in to be checked manually. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS