cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identity Verified badge soon required for all earning freelancers

Aldo C Member Since: Jan 17, 2018
61 of 1,165

I have a question, I have my most recent ID that is my driver's license, but the picture doesn't look good, but it has the info you are asking in the front face (name, and day of birth), so would there be any problem if the picture doesn't look good (it looks a little squeezed)?

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
62 of 1,165

Hi Aldo, 

You will have two tries upload your ID document for review. If it doesn't go through, you will automatically be routed for manual review. 

You may also wish to use another government-issued ID such as a passport if you feel like the driver's license may be rejected. 

-Avery
Untitled
Mark W Member Since: Jun 26, 2019
63 of 1,165

Hi Lena, thanks for the announcement Smiley Happy

I dont have any of these documents:

• Driver’s license (I dont drive)
  • Passport, green card, etc. (I live in Australia and only have and expired UK passport)
  • National identity card (I dont have one of these)

Can you advise - thanks  Smiley Happy

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
64 of 1,165

Hi Mark,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further on how to complete the verification process. Thank you.

Untitled
Ace Contributor
Karen B Member Since: Apr 12, 2019
65 of 1,165

I think I did the video verification when I joined Upwork a year ago (I remember doing it with somebody).  Now, I have a different computer -- it's a Panasonic Toughbook, and there's no webcam.  And nowhere to install one.  So, this video thing will be a problem.

Government ID is no problem.  I have a Driver's License/REAL ID and also a passport (but the passport expires next month).  So I can either take a photo with phone and attach or scan and attach.

Brian C Member Since: Jun 27, 2019
66 of 1,165

I am not understanding what equipment I need in order to verify.  

I have gleaned from the articles that I need a webcam and mic for the video interview.  I will have to buy one.

What do I need to transmit my driver's license to you?  Do I just give you the number and you access it from the state, or is there some procedure like taking a picture?  I don't have a cell phone, but my wife does.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
67 of 1,165

Hi Brian, Karen, 

You may read more about how to complete the ID Verification process in this help article

If you do not have an available webcam and mic for the interview, you can initiate the chat, and let the team know so that they can share more information on how you can complete the video verification call. 

-Avery
Untitled
Christopher H Member Since: Nov 3, 2017
68 of 1,165

So how do people without webcams or microphones verify their account?

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
69 of 1,165

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for reaching out. A video chat is required and in the scenario you mentioned a freelancer will need to have access to a device with a webcam, in order to complete the process. You can read more about the process and supported browsers for video verification in this Help article.

Ace Contributor
Karen B Member Since: Apr 12, 2019
70 of 1,165

So, in other words, Upwork is forcing everyone who doesn't have one to buy a new computer that either has a webcam or can support one.  Or buy a new phone.  (And I read the article and all it did was list programs or phones that support webcam -- it didn't say what to do if you didn't have any of them).

I know that for me (and I imagine hundreds of other Upwork freelancers) -- this simply isn't within our budget.  I envision a mass exodus of freelancers out of Upwork.    This is simply unethical!

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS