Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identity Verified badge soon required for all earning freelancers

abinadab-agbo
Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
71 of 3,947

I'd suggest you roll it out and make it compulsory after a freelancer's first $400 earned.

Some who sign up here today are broke. While they can afford Connects, they might not be able to afford passports, etc. So if you give them some time so they can put things in order, put things in place, and do the necessary travels to whatever govt. department issues the required ID, that would be better.

Keep in mind that some who sign up today live in the desert and have never had a government-issued ID.

abinadab-agbo
Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
72 of 3,947

I think this method might disadvantage freelancers with some kinds of disability, e.g. speech disability.

Can Upwork come up with more verification methods for this class of people?

Upwork should consider adding keycode verification, as is done on some other sites.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
73 of 3,947

Abinadab A wrote:

I think this method might disadvantage freelancers with some kinds of disability, e.g. speech disability.

The video call has a text chat option.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
afifield
Community Guru
Amanda F Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
74 of 3,947

My government issued ID won't go through for some reason! It keeps saying it is blurry but it isn't at all. It is clear and should be able to verify. What can I do? 

EDIT: it went through that time but now it is saying they need to review it within a business day.

I did the video chat before, do I need to do it again as well? It is checked off in my profile and says completed on 2017-03-27 and after I uploaded my ID it asked to do it again even though it is still checked off in green on my profile as completed unlike the government ID that I have in now for verification, but if it needs to be done please let me know as I do not want interruptions for my work! 

djondinium
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
75 of 3,947

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Once it is requested our team will reach out to you via ticket with detailed instructions on how to complete this short process. At the moment you don't have any pending requests to complete our any of the verification process.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
afifield
Community Guru
Amanda F Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
76 of 3,947

Aleksandar D, It was approved 3 hours ago and looks like I didn't need to verify by video again since I did this a short time ago, so I now have the badge. I didn't need to open a request or anything, my ID was already uploaded and said it needed 1 business day. It failed to go through the first time, then I reuploaded it and it was put on a wait, and then they approved so others who can see that your ID isn't blurry and has everything they asked in the image just try uploading again and they'll manually check it. I assume they all need to be checked manually anyways but yet it comes up and says that it is trying to process the verification while you sit there, and that doesn't work so you need to upload it again until it goes in to be checked manually. 

aldocaava
Aldo C Member Since: Jan 17, 2018
77 of 3,947

I have a question, I have my most recent ID that is my driver's license, but the picture doesn't look good, but it has the info you are asking in the front face (name, and day of birth), so would there be any problem if the picture doesn't look good (it looks a little squeezed)?

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
78 of 3,947

Hi Aldo, 

You will have two tries upload your ID document for review. If it doesn't go through, you will automatically be routed for manual review. 

You may also wish to use another government-issued ID such as a passport if you feel like the driver's license may be rejected. 

-Avery
Untitled
el_spiko
Mark W Member Since: Jun 26, 2019
79 of 3,947

Hi Lena, thanks for the announcement Smiley Happy

I dont have any of these documents:

• Driver’s license (I dont drive)
  • Passport, green card, etc. (I live in Australia and only have and expired UK passport)
  • National identity card (I dont have one of these)

Can you advise - thanks  Smiley Happy

g_vasilevski
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
80 of 3,947

Hi Mark,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further on how to complete the verification process. Thank you.

Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS