Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identity Verified badge soon required for all earning freelancers

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Karen B Member Since: Apr 12, 2019
81 of 2,832

So, in other words, Upwork is forcing everyone who doesn't have one to buy a new computer that either has a webcam or can support one.  Or buy a new phone.  (And I read the article and all it did was list programs or phones that support webcam -- it didn't say what to do if you didn't have any of them).

I know that for me (and I imagine hundreds of other Upwork freelancers) -- this simply isn't within our budget.  I envision a mass exodus of freelancers out of Upwork.    This is simply unethical!

Highlighted
William B Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
82 of 2,832

I got an email a few minutes ago titled, "Update to the identity verification process". In summary, starting in August 2019, we are ALL REQUIRED to upload a government-issued ID. I assume that means the Identity Verified badge is going away as we will all be Identity Verified.

I choose not to get the Identity Verified badge because I did not want Upwork storing my government-issued id. If they simply needed to see it--and then delete it--that may have been okay but they do not delete it. I asked what safeguards Upwork takes to protect my government-issued id from unauthorized access and was told "it is safe".

Has anyone tried uploading a redacted id? It seems like all they want/need is the photo and address.

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
83 of 2,832

Hi William, 

I would like to confirm that that the Identity Verified Badge will not go away as this is an indicator for users of the platform that your identity has been identified already. 

I'm sorry to learn that you are uncomfortable with this process. In general, Upwork has security measures in place, and teams dedicated to ensuring the security of the Upwork platform and your information. We continue to refine these systems and processes so we stay ahead of any site attacks.

Also, all the information you submit when verifying your identity is kept secure. Access to your information is reserved exclusively for Upwork agents who have passed strict background checks and our third-party vendor. Our system stores your ID image for 30 days with exceptions in cases of fraud.

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
William B Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
84 of 2,832

Thank you, Avery O.

Your information about id image retention is different from what I got from Customer Service. If the image is kept for 30 days on the system, it exists on backups for months after that. And access to those backups must be restricted and secure at all times as well.

I am uncomfortable any time my personal information is stored by others. My information has been hacked from multiple sites -- all making the same security claims Upwork does.

I am shocked that I seem to be the first one to raise this concern here on Upwork.

Highlighted
Jacqueline H Member Since: May 3, 2016
85 of 2,832

Upwork is basically asking to store very sensitive information with absolutely no guarantees that it won't be shared/stored or lost by accident. 

We all know that Upworks website has ongoing connection and other problems on a daily basis. Plus even the most secure websites are hacked ALL the time. If not now in the future and all these websites have to say about it is "sorry."

All this says to me is they don't care about our privacy and ultimately security. They are willing to put both of those things at risk for their bottom line. What happens after that is none of their concern.

The only way I see them fixing this is to reneg on the requirement to be badge verified.  

Highlighted
Community Leader
Andy H Member Since: May 11, 2016
86 of 2,832

Good morning, Upwork.

Could someone please tell me what you require from those living abroad. The only photo ID I have from the host country are my two official driving licenses. Non-photo ID includes:

• Bank account (both countries)
  • Vehicle registration document
  • Lease agreement:

From my home country, the only photo ID I have is a valid passport. Non-photo ID includes:

• Driving license (old paper type, but still valid)
  • UK national insurance number

Please advise so that I can prepare quality scans for whatever documents you need.

Thank you in advance,

Andy H

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
87 of 2,832

Hi Andy, 

For this verification, you are requested to submit a valid government ID. You may refer to this help article for more information. 

Here's a link for more information about the ID Verification Badge. 

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Leader
Andy H Member Since: May 11, 2016
88 of 2,832

Thank you, Avery.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Lisa T Member Since: Apr 26, 2016
89 of 2,832

Will we just be verified and then the ID and video deleted? If the point is just to verify, after that is done there is no point in keeping the ID and video...or is there? Is there something else that will be done with our information? Sold to other companies? After we are verified there is no further need for that info.

Also, what questions will we need to answer in this video interview?

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
90 of 2,832

Thanks for reaching out Lisa. All the information you submit when verifying your identity is kept secure. Access to your information is reserved exclusively for Upwork agents who have passed strict background checks and our third-party vendor. Our system stores your ID image for 30 days with exceptions in cases of fraud.

Regarding the video call questions, freelancers are asked a few questions about the information in their profile. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS