Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identity Verified badge soon required for all earning freelancers

board-karen
Ace Contributor
Karen B Member Since: Apr 12, 2019
81 of 3,945

I think I did the video verification when I joined Upwork a year ago (I remember doing it with somebody).  Now, I have a different computer -- it's a Panasonic Toughbook, and there's no webcam.  And nowhere to install one.  So, this video thing will be a problem.

Government ID is no problem.  I have a Driver's License/REAL ID and also a passport (but the passport expires next month).  So I can either take a photo with phone and attach or scan and attach.

briancad
Brian C Member Since: Jun 27, 2019
82 of 3,945

I am not understanding what equipment I need in order to verify.  

I have gleaned from the articles that I need a webcam and mic for the video interview.  I will have to buy one.

What do I need to transmit my driver's license to you?  Do I just give you the number and you access it from the state, or is there some procedure like taking a picture?  I don't have a cell phone, but my wife does.

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
83 of 3,945

Hi Brian, Karen, 

You may read more about how to complete the ID Verification process in this help article

If you do not have an available webcam and mic for the interview, you can initiate the chat, and let the team know so that they can share more information on how you can complete the video verification call. 

-Avery
Untitled
choitash
Christopher H Member Since: Nov 3, 2017
84 of 3,945

So how do people without webcams or microphones verify their account?

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
85 of 3,945

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for reaching out. A video chat is required and in the scenario you mentioned a freelancer will need to have access to a device with a webcam, in order to complete the process. You can read more about the process and supported browsers for video verification in this Help article.

Untitled
board-karen
Ace Contributor
Karen B Member Since: Apr 12, 2019
86 of 3,945

So, in other words, Upwork is forcing everyone who doesn't have one to buy a new computer that either has a webcam or can support one.  Or buy a new phone.  (And I read the article and all it did was list programs or phones that support webcam -- it didn't say what to do if you didn't have any of them).

I know that for me (and I imagine hundreds of other Upwork freelancers) -- this simply isn't within our budget.  I envision a mass exodus of freelancers out of Upwork.    This is simply unethical!

bdm95x
William B Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
87 of 3,945

I got an email a few minutes ago titled, "Update to the identity verification process". In summary, starting in August 2019, we are ALL REQUIRED to upload a government-issued ID. I assume that means the Identity Verified badge is going away as we will all be Identity Verified.

I choose not to get the Identity Verified badge because I did not want Upwork storing my government-issued id. If they simply needed to see it--and then delete it--that may have been okay but they do not delete it. I asked what safeguards Upwork takes to protect my government-issued id from unauthorized access and was told "it is safe".

Has anyone tried uploading a redacted id? It seems like all they want/need is the photo and address.

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
88 of 3,945

Hi William, 

I would like to confirm that that the Identity Verified Badge will not go away as this is an indicator for users of the platform that your identity has been identified already. 

I'm sorry to learn that you are uncomfortable with this process. In general, Upwork has security measures in place, and teams dedicated to ensuring the security of the Upwork platform and your information. We continue to refine these systems and processes so we stay ahead of any site attacks.

Also, all the information you submit when verifying your identity is kept secure. Access to your information is reserved exclusively for Upwork agents who have passed strict background checks and our third-party vendor. Our system stores your ID image for 30 days with exceptions in cases of fraud.

-Avery
Untitled
bdm95x
William B Member Since: Mar 15, 2017
89 of 3,945

Thank you, Avery O.

Your information about id image retention is different from what I got from Customer Service. If the image is kept for 30 days on the system, it exists on backups for months after that. And access to those backups must be restricted and secure at all times as well.

I am uncomfortable any time my personal information is stored by others. My information has been hacked from multiple sites -- all making the same security claims Upwork does.

I am shocked that I seem to be the first one to raise this concern here on Upwork.

jkhutchins
Jacqueline H Member Since: May 3, 2016
90 of 3,945

Upwork is basically asking to store very sensitive information with absolutely no guarantees that it won't be shared/stored or lost by accident. 

We all know that Upworks website has ongoing connection and other problems on a daily basis. Plus even the most secure websites are hacked ALL the time. If not now in the future and all these websites have to say about it is "sorry."

All this says to me is they don't care about our privacy and ultimately security. They are willing to put both of those things at risk for their bottom line. What happens after that is none of their concern.

The only way I see them fixing this is to reneg on the requirement to be badge verified.  

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS