Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Re: Call/video feature unreliable

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
81 of 96

Kelly B wrote:

Bojan S wrote:

Hi Kosiso,

 

Could you please share the browser version you're experiencing this issue with?

 

Thank you!


I got this same question over and over, and my answer is .... I AM USING THE UPWORK APP ON MY DESKTOP. Why in the world does it matter what browser I use outside of that?

 

Also, if there's some kind of known bug with a specific browser, or just a specific set of actions we should be taking, why can't you just post that?


Yes. That. Improve the Help Pages based on our feedback. Not rocket science.

<addressed to whomever is making the DECISIONS about this kind of stuff, not the Mods>

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
82 of 96

I believe that some allowances should be made for Forum Moderators who don't know how Upwork's video/audio tools actually work.


From the beginning, there has been a disconnect because Upwork employees have tested these tools within a very narrow set of conditions, and they have experienced these tools actually functioning. Also, I believe that the information that they have been provided from higher-ups and/or engineering is that "these tools work now."

 

I believe that Upwork Customer Service representatives and Forum Moderators are genuinely trying to be helpful with this issue, but they are limited in how much they can do. They're not the people who actually assembled the communication tools. And they are limited in how much they can help Upwork users, because the information they have been provided is incomplete.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kelly B Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
83 of 96

Preston H wrote:

I believe that some allowances should be made for Forum Moderators who don't know how Upwork's video/audio tools actually work.


From the beginning, there has been a disconnect because Upwork employees have tested these tools within a very narrow set of conditions, and they have experienced these tools actually functioning. Also, I believe that the inormation that they have been provided from higher-ups and/or engineering is that "these tools work now."

 

I believe that Upwork Customer Service representatives and Forum Moderators are genuinely trying to be helpful with this issue, but they are limited in how much they can do. They're not the people who actually assembled the communication tools. And they are limited in how much they can help Upwork users, because the information they have been provided is incomplete.


I don't expect the mods to fix my issue; that's why I went directly to Upwork help. However, I DO expect the mods to give us a clear answer as to how we're supposed to not violate the new ToS when they can't advise us how to make their voice messaging system work.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
84 of 96

+ 1000 @ Kelly's comment "I don't expect the mods to fix my issue; that's why I went directly to Upwork help. However, I DO expect the mods to give us a clear answer as to how we're supposed to not violate the new ToS when they can't advise us how to make their voice messaging system work."

Highlighted
Active Member
Bethany W Member Since: Oct 20, 2016
85 of 96

I absolutely want to abide by Upwork's new guidelines for keeping client calls through here, but the calling platform is incredibly frustrating. In the past couple of days, I have spoken to different clients over the Upwork voice call platform so I am following the rules, but it has dropped every single call at least twice. It also cuts out and I've missed valuable information the client is trying to communicate to me. 

 

Is anyone else having this issue as well? It makes for a stressful workday! 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
86 of 96

Bethany W wrote:

I absolutely want to abide by Upwork's new guidelines for keeping client calls through here, but the calling platform is incredibly frustrating. In the past couple of days, I have spoken to different clients over the Upwork voice call platform so I am following the rules, but it has dropped every single call at least twice. It also cuts out and I've missed valuable information the client is trying to communicate to me. 

 

Is anyone else having this issue as well? It makes for a stressful workday! 


Lot's of people are having issues with it. Most of those people are NOT on the Upwork Forums. The Voice Call system is buggy. Maybe it's better than it was, maybe it's not. It's in no way whatsover a reliable solution for meetings for a large swath of users. Is this absurd? Yes, yes it is.

Highlighted
Active Member
Eugene D Member Since: Dec 21, 2019
87 of 96

I'm reporting an issue with the call/video feature. I tried speaking with a new potential client today and the screen lagged, we were unable to share screens, the call dropped, and overall it was a frustrating experience.  Any word on whether these issues will be worked out, and meanwhile, are we able to speak with clients through other means without being penalized?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
88 of 96

Eugene D wrote:

I'm reporting an issue with the call/video feature. I tried speaking with a new potential client today and the screen lagged, we were unable to share screens, the call dropped, and overall it was a frustrating experience.  Any word on whether these issues will be worked out, and meanwhile, are we able to speak with clients through other means without being penalized?


There are feedback tools inside the meeting tool. I hope you used it. You can also (and should) submit tickets when the Call/Video feature does not work. According to recent updates from the Forum Moderators, we can expect very slow but constant updates to this tool. Don't expect anything great to happen quickly.

 

No, your not supposed to use any communication tools outside of the Upwork platform prior to being hired. Yes, you risk you and the client being banned if you do. 

 

Is this stupid? Yes, yes it is.

 

 

 

 

Highlighted
Active Member
Eugene D Member Since: Dec 21, 2019
89 of 96

Thank you, I didn't know about the ticket creation within messages.  I will do that.  Very frustrating.

Highlighted
Active Member
John L Member Since: Jan 20, 2020
90 of 96

I have generally found the UI to work just fine. A big need though is to enable conference calls. Of the last few interviews I've had, the client wants to be able bring in more than one person on their end.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS