cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seriously concerned about Upworks bugged video calls.

Highlighted
Jana J Member Since: Feb 17, 2020
171 of 188

I've used Upwork now for two years without a problem. I was contacted for a potential job but the employer would like to do a video call first. The problem is the video conferencing DOES NOT WORK, and if we take the video chat off of the platform risk being terminated. 

Why isn't anyone at Upwork fixing this issue? This has been ongoing since the inception of Upwork and you are going to lose freelancers and hiring companies. It has to change. 

Highlighted
Nikola S Moderator Member Since: Jul 2, 2020
172 of 188

Hi Jana, 

I'm sorry about the issue you experienced with using the call feature. Could you please check the tips shared in this Help article in order to confirm your audio and video permissions are up to date?

Additionally, one of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

Thank you, 

~ Nikola

Untitled
Highlighted
Megan F Member Since: Aug 15, 2019
173 of 188

OOOORRR...

Why not treat us like adults and let us conduct the video chat off the Upwork platform? This seems more like trying to squeeze money out of situations by hampering the initial discussions, rather than helping facilitate discussions between the interviewer and interviewee.

You aren't making money until the contract is signed. And if the contract is never signed between the interviewer and interviewee then there is no revenue loss on your part. But forcing a client to use a program they are not accustomed to ensures the revenue loss on your part.

If there are superior products out there, it would be better to hook them into your platform (create a 'Make a Zoom call" feature), rather than create a glitchy phone program and muscle users to work with it.

Highlighted
Yara J Member Since: Sep 10, 2020
174 of 188

cannot share my desktop with my freelancer.  see error ' FAILED TO START SHARING YOUR SCREEN'

PLEASE HELP.

**Edited for community guidelines**

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
175 of 188

Hi Yara,

I apologize for the inconvenience this caused. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you with this issue. 

Thank you for your patience. 

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Madison L Member Since: Apr 18, 2019
176 of 188

(freelancer) Does anyone know if it is possible to disable the call feature within the messages with clients? I don't do calls with clients at all, and I'm very upfront about that if they ask. However, I occassionally have clients try to start a call with me (unplanned) when I'm not even online. Is there a way to prevent this?

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
177 of 188

Hi Madison,

Thanks for the question. The Call feature can't be disabled. Could you please share if receiving unexpected calls is something you experience often? You have an option to block clients that persist with initiating calls despite the specific personal policy you've communicated with them.

Highlighted
Madison L Member Since: Apr 18, 2019
178 of 188

Hi Vladimir,

Thank you for confirming it can't be disabled. It's not something that happens too often -- maybe once a month or so. And it's usually with a client I'm either already working with, or one that I am interviewing with, so I don't wan't to block them. I think the client just sees the "call" option and thinks it's like a phone -- they can just call and talk whenever. It lead to one client I was recently interviewing with becoming quite irritated, thinking I was ignoring them, when I didn't even realize he was trying to call because I wasn't online. I was just hoping I could disable the option for clients to call me within my message settings so that this wouldn't be an issue in the future.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
179 of 188

Madison:

Great suggestion.

It kind of feels silly that nobody thought of doing this already.

Obviously you don't want to block these people because you are actively working for them. You simply don't want them thinking they can call you... not so much because it annoys you but because it is an inconvenience to them to think that they can do so even though that is not an option you provide.

I would think it would be a straightforward modification to allow a freelancer to opt out of being called, which would result in the client-side button being blocked.

Highlighted
Michael P Member Since: Jun 7, 2016
180 of 188

Hello everyone,

I have been on and off Upwork since it was oDesk. I've probably been around longer than a lot of the Upwork staff even! Smiley Happy

Now I have graduated to Top Rated Agency and intend to run the business entirely on Upwork. I enjoy the platform and gladly adhere to the rules as I truly value the service provided.

However, there are some serious problems I am concerned about. You see the video/call functionality on Upwork is really buggy so much so that I can't really use it for client communication. Yet if I do not I am flagged for using Zoom video calls. What am I supposed to do? Honestly if you want to have your Terms and Conditions they need to be backed by a service that really works. I feel like I am put in a Catch 22 because how am I suppose to close deals if I can't even have a screenshare...

I will attach a screenshot of a bugged screenshare - read the label in the top left and see there is no video.

In fact the last 3 times I've attemped to use the video functionality in the call it has always been seriously bugged. It's a serious problem. San Francisco is my hometown perhaps I should go visit the Brannan office and tell them my predicament in person?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS