cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improvements to Voice/Video Call Feature in Upwork Messages

Highlighted
James G Member Since: Aug 12, 2020
101 of 181

Yes, that is the icon I clicked on. I tried it many times in both our calls and all it does is make the screen Minuscule instead of larger.

Highlighted
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
102 of 181

Thank you for the confirmation, James.

The next time you`re on a call with someone, could you please take screenshots from your end so that I can ask our engineers to investigate it further?

Untitled
Highlighted
103 of 181

Thanks for the reply. I'm guessing your engineers will not be able to fix this immediately. In the mean time I have a largest project I've ever had done on Upwork that needs to be completed. Would you please make arrangement for me to be granted special permission to use Hangouts or Skype until this gets fixed? If I need to I would be willing to jump on a call with one of your managing staff (Ie: decision maker) to show them the issue by sharing my screen.

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
104 of 181

Hi James,

Could you please share the browser you were using during the call? We'd like to investigate your report further and someone from our team will reach out to you via a support ticket shortly.

Highlighted
105 of 181
I thought I had already shared that in my original messages. I was using
Google Chrome on Windows 10. So what do you suggest I do in the
meantime? I notice you're ignoring my latest request to escalate this to
a decision maker.
Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
106 of 181

Hi James,

You are correct that you've shared those details in your initial messages, I apologize about asking for them again. Could you please confirm that once you share your screen, the shared screen appears within the call window and you'd like to expand it further to cover the whole screen? If that the case please note we don't have a full screen option and clicking on the option Goran shared minimizes the screens and maximizes it to the original size. Could you please confirm if this is the case and you're looking for the full screen option?

Highlighted
107 of 181

I have already replied via email to your last message but I see now the email came back undeliverable: 

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<mailer@us.khoros-mail.com>
(reason: 550-5.1.1 The email account that you tried to reach does not exist. Please try)

Perhaps you should fix that.. Now I'm trying to reply on your upwork form.  Afer waiting over a minute I am finally able to type my reply. Tried to send this but after 10 minutes of waiting if finally said there was invalid html from the email  that came back undeliver. The issue has cost me far too much time!

Here was my reply:

To be clear, I am not sharing my screen, I am trying to see the contractors screen in a tiny window. So when you say please confirm once you share your screen, It appears you are not understanding the issue I have described. I am afraid I do not understand 'clicking on the option Goran shared'. I do not know that word even after looking it up, and after that you lost me further.

By continuing to ignore my original request to either ask a higher up for permission to us another VOIP platform (like it was a short time ago) or have them jump on an Upwork call with me so I can show them the issue or have them show me what I am doing wrong, you are taking up even more of my time I need to run my business, asking me to perform the duties of a beta tester or someone you should be paying to go through your requested steps that do not make sense. Then Upwork will be asking me for money (after taking up my time) to use your platform when I hire this contractors? That hardly seems like the right thing to do when all you have to do is refer me to a decision maker while you workout your bugs. I have no intention of paying this provider outside of Upwork, I simply want to jump on a call with him so he can show me what he can do for me. I have already receive kudos from a community member so I suspect others are also experiencing similar issues. Please refer me to a decision maker that can grant me permission. Otherwise I'll have to find another way to get this project done.

James

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Peter K Member Since: Nov 23, 2016
108 of 181

I just used Upwork voice call for the first time. What a painful experience for both me and the client. I had to repeat myself many times. I just know I'm going to lose business communicating like that. 

Can we not use something else like Hangouts  or Skpe if there are problems with Upwork service?

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
109 of 181

Hi Peter,

I'm sorry you experienced issues while using Voice/Video call feature. Could you please clarify if you used it on browser or via Upwork App? I'll share your experience with the team and will also have a support ticket created where we could further assist you and address your concerns. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
110 of 181

Yesterday, for the first time after 8 years on Upwork, I saw a message pop up in Upwork message chat with a potential new client after he sent me an invite to a Skype call for our interview. This Upwork bot sends a message to say that if we communicate outside of Upwork's systems before a contract starts, my account will be terminated.

This morning I wake up to message and invitation notifications on my cell. I click on one and the page can't be displayed. I get an error. I've seen countless times where the messaging center won't open or is down for maintenance over the years so I make a point of not relying on it. However, now it is a rule?

The reason I'm creating this post is because not only will the notifications give me an error screen when i try to open them, but I just tried Upwork's own calling system and it didn't work well enough, so the client dropped the call and asked for another way to continue the interview. However... that is not allowed.

Thoughts?

I'm frustrated because my experience with Upwork's communication systems have been that's it's consistantly unreliable and now I see this new rule that forces us to use it on the threat of account termination.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS