Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improvements to Voice/Video Call Feature in Upwork Messages

Highlighted
Kimberly B Member Since: Dec 20, 2016
161 of 193

Petra,

Thank you. That was my initial thought. But if that is the case then why is Upwork enforcing this policy? If the calls/conversations aren't recorded or monitored in some capacity, how is anyone protected? 

Also, I've gotten mixed responses. Some people have said the calls ARE recorded. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Tatyana M Member Since: Feb 10, 2019
162 of 193

It appears, in the nicest possible way to interpret this, that Upwork phone/video chat function has a major security flaw. 

I just had a phone call (never turned video function on) through Upwork. A few minutes after the call has ended- I noticed the camera light is on and the red dot on the browser tab showing that I am being recorded.

This is a major breach. To all Upwork freelancers- I recommend you double check and put tape over your camera. This is unsafe and unethical. 

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
163 of 193

Hi Tatyana, 

Please, see my response to your post here as well. When you have a chance, could you please send me a PM with more information about what call you're referring to, so I could double check?

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
164 of 193

Kimberly B wrote:

Are calls conducted between clients and freelancers on the Upwork Messages center recorded/monitored?

Recorded? They can barely make it work.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
165 of 193

Thanks, Rene. Again, this contradicts what Petra and Upwork's support team have communicated. What is meant by "they can barely make it work"?

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
166 of 193

Hi Kimberly,

I can confirm that Voice/Video calls held on Upwork aren't recorded or monitored by Upwork team. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Tatyana M Member Since: Feb 10, 2019
167 of 193

Why is my post suddenly burried on page 15 of another thread?

Highlighted
168 of 193

Thanks for confirming, Valeria. 

Highlighted
Peter M Member Since: Jun 16, 2020
169 of 193

I just want to know if there is an ability to have a voice message recorded can be sent from the client to me and backward like in WhatsApp which will be useful if there is the time difference between me and client and can`t get in touch at the exact time for a call   

thanks 

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
170 of 193

Hi Peter,

The option to record voice messages isn't available at the moment. That said, you can consider recording a voice message on your end and attaching the recording in Messages. I understand this isn't the process you were referring to but sharing as a workaround.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS