Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improving Client Quality

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
11 of 16

I totally appreciate Sara's perspective about wanting more information on clients, but allow me to offer a different perspective.

And I realize mine is probably a minority viewpoint, so you don't need to point out that I'm not speaking for everybody, just myself.

I'm really not interested in seeing more information about clients. I don't google potential clients or try to find out more about them. I don't care if oDesk posts more information about a client beyond what they already make available. I don't really care.

What I care about is the client's business relationship with me.

I don't give ANY clients, no matter who they are or how prominent they might be (or claim to be), any kind of break when it comes to hiring me. They all are treated the same.

If they hire me for an hourly project, I expect them to leave the oDesk system alone and let my payments be processed normally.

If they hire me for a fixed-price project, I expect them to pay me when I submit my work without asking me to do any work outside the scope of the agreement, and I expect them to close contracts when I ask them to. And I don't do large fixed-price contracts wth anybody until they have proven themselves trustworthy with a small fixed-price contract.

That's about it. That's all I need to know about a client.

If the job is something I'm not comfortable doing, whether for ethical reasons or because it is outside my skill set or interest, then I don't do the job. But that's about the job, not about the cilent.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
12 of 16

@Preston H wrote:

What I care about is the client's business relationship with me.

The point you're failing to understand here is that Sara is talking about clients who don't want a business relationship with you.  They want to scam you, or hire someone at $3/hour (or less, if they can manage it).  They are a huge waste of time and make oDesk look bad.

There are two directions oDesk can go: it is either a world-wide marketplace that attracts the best freelancers from around the planet, or it is a sweat shop full of the most exploitable labor available.  You can't really mix the two successfully, and you definitely should not have clients who target one of those groups interacting with the other.

That could have been a distinction they made with Elance vs. oDesk but, barring that, they really have to do a lot more here to keep both the bad freelancers and the bad clients from stinking up the place.  Absolutely nothing about these new initiatives actually seems to accomplish that, though, so we're this is all just so much tilting at windmills.

Highlighted
Marty L Member Since: Jan 1, 2015
13 of 16

I'm glad to see some thought about the quality of clients.

With the "connect system" I would encourage if clients have no history/no funded payment, "no charge is made to connect with them"

Too often I get "job requests" which are no more than spam -- to a wide community (i.e. things which have nothing to do with my profile).   Clients should have to have a limit on wasting freelancers time.

When I apply to jobs (often as a lark) I find "seeing if there's any interviews" very useful.

When they post a job, have applications and no interviews, its a sign they're not serious (especially if they have no history on odesk).

Highlighted
Community Guru
Md Rahatur R Member Since: Apr 17, 2013
14 of 16

Marty is right. This is causing a problem for me as well.
I have completely stopped applying most of the new clients here on oDesk. Because most of my applications were wasted on these new clients who do not hire or are really spammers. But when I see some of them really hire I see I missed an opportunity!

I suggest at least make the payment method verified. This will keep the spammers and less serious clients away.
Also start reviewing the accounts of the clients who has very poor hire rates. I am sure some of them are working on other portals and getting the idea of the quote/project from here.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Teresa R Member Since: Feb 6, 2012
15 of 16

Over the past two days, I've encountered two clients who posted hourly jobs and claimed they wanted "expert" applicants. The applicants--including me--bid accordingly, meaning far more than the $3.00/hour minimum. However, when each client contacted me, they offered me a fixed-price rate that would have, in effect, reduced me to an hourly rate 75% to 80% below what I bid.

I understand that some clients may want to negotiate, but that isn't negotiation. That's outright fraud. The jobs should have been posted as fixed-price gigs for entry-level applicants, not hourly gigs for expert applicants. When withdrawing one application, I actually told him that if I'd known he was paying a bottom-barrel fixed price, I'd never have applied to the job. I find it difficult to believe that any of the other applicants would have, either.

Is there any way to report this type of fraud?

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
16 of 16

Hi Teresa,

Sorry to hear you encountered a misleading job posting. You can report it either by flagging the posting as a "Job is in wrong category" or by submitting a request to Customer Support.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS