Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About Withholding Tax

Highlighted
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
31 of 142

Hi Sahil,

I'd like to follow-up on your question earlier.  Yes, you can use your legal business name on your W-8BEN Form and PAN Card. Thanks!

-Joanne
Untitled
Highlighted
Divyanshu M Member Since: Sep 30, 2020
32 of 142
I am a director of private limited company and want to work as an individual freelancer on upwork but I want all payment to be done in my company account?
My company name is different than my legal name.
Now few things i want to ask is :
1. Can I fill Company Pan no. In Pan no. Field?
2. Can I use my company current account to receive payment, if yes then what to write in first name, last name and name on account?
3. What to write in legal name of W-8BEN? Should I write my name or company name?
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Joy Esther J Member Since: Feb 13, 2017
33 of 142

Hello there,

If you can explain the WHT calculation, it will be great. Suddenly find the deduction under WHT. 

Please explain. 

Regards

Joy

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
34 of 142

Hi Joy Esther,

The amount of tax we are required to withhold is dependent upon whether or not you have a valid PAN or Aadhaar number on file with Upwork:  

• For Upwork users that have a PAN or Aadhaar on file, we are required to withhold 0.75% of client payments to users. 

• For Upwork users that do not have a PAN or Aadhaar on file, we are required to withhold 5.0% of client payments to users.

The withholding tax is calculated based on the gross amount that the user invoices their client, so it is calculated prior to freelancer service fees or any other fees that may reduce the amount credited to the user’s account. You can check this help article for more information. 

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Aarti C Member Since: Apr 27, 2019
35 of 142

Hello Team,

I can see the tax was deducted in my account of the 5% it's wrong you have to deduct of 0.75% because i already updated my Aadhar number in my account.

Please check asap do the needful.

Please see attached snapshot for your refrence.

Thanks.

**Edited for community guidelines**

Highlighted
Aarti C Member Since: Apr 27, 2019
36 of 142

Hello Team,

I did mailed you two times about tax withholding but i didn't get any response from your side.my question was why the upwork deduct 5 percent taxes? i have already updated my Aadhar number. than why it's happen to deduct  5 percent tax? as per upwork rules upwork should deduct only 0.75 percent.

Can you plaese check asap?

Thanks

Highlighted
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
37 of 142

Hi Aarti,

I'm sorry for the delay. We are checking with the team and will update you as soon as we have more information.

Thank you for your patience.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
38 of 142

Aarti, Gautam and Gagandeep,

We appreciate your patience while we were checking on this. The team confirmed that the transactions you were referring to had happened before PAN/Aadhar numbers were added to your accounts. Therefore, it was withheld at 5% rate. Going forward you should see the tax being withheld at 0.75%.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Shibajyoti B Member Since: Aug 5, 2020
39 of 142

This is sort of an untold premium membership process !!

Highlighted
Dilshad K Member Since: Oct 27, 2018
40 of 142

Upwork has started Withholding Tax or TDS for Indian Freelancers from Oct2020. I want to download the TDS or WHT report. How can I download the TDS or WHT report of my account?