🐈
» Support » Product Release Notes » Indian TDS Tax Withholding on Upwork Earnings
Page options

Indian TDS Tax Withholding on Upwork Earnings

lenaellis
Community Member

Starting October 1st, Upwork will begin withholding Tax Deducted at Source, TDS, from payments to freelancers and agencies located in India as part of a new tax law enforced by the Indian government.

As part of our continued efforts to remain compliant with tax laws in India, we are asking that our customers in India provide their Income Tax Identification number in the “Tax Info” section under “Settings”. For purposes of TDS withholding, the Indian government will accept either a Permanent Account Number (PAN) or an Aadhaar number. Please be sure to use the correct format for your PAN or Aadhaar number as defined by the Indian government:

• PAN is a 10-digit alphanumeric entry, i.e., A A A A A # # # # A
    # = Numeric   A = Alphabetic 
  • Aadhaar is a 12-digit numeric entry

For those freelancers and agencies that have provided a PAN or an Aadhaar number:

We are required to withhold 0.75% of all your payments, starting with the first dollar you earn as of October 1, 2020, and forward it to the Indian government. The rate is scheduled to increase to 1% on April 1, 2021.

For those freelancers and agencies that have not provided a PAN or an Aadhaar number:

We will be required to withhold 5% of all your Upwork earnings and forward it to the Indian government. You will be able to claim a tax credit or refund from the Indian government should you pay more taxes than required. 

You will need to add a PAN or Aadhaar number in order to keep the withholding tax at .75% of your earnings.  Click here to Add Income Tax Identification.

To learn more about Indian TDS, click here

Let us know if you have any questions.

492 Comments
disha_india
Community Member

Hi Vladimir,
Thanks for your confirmation. Really, we are waiting for "Form 16A" certificate for each quarter.
Regards,
Bibhas

disha_india
Community Member

Exactly, I checked just and noticed the same.

jnoortheen
Community Member

Any updates on the TDS certificate? it is past Feb 15th

saksena_shashank
Community Member

Hello,
It is 21st Feb now ( nearly a week passed since 15th Feb deadline).
But TDS being deducted by  upwork is not reflecting in Form26AS  / deposited against company PAN till date... and we have no update from upwork till date.

pramanik-riju
Community Member

Hi
Its imperative for us to receive the tax credit as some of us have large contracts that would help us save a significant amount of money. 
its been a week past 15th February as per your own admission, so kindly let us know 

galaxysoftware
Community Member

Any status on when we are getting WHT statement @Upwork

It's been a full week late already! At least you guys should respect deadlines set by yourself!

saksena_shashank
Community Member

An update  from Upwork would be  really appreciated on TDS  submission  for Indian Freelancers & Agencies. It is critical  for us

puneetkumar0986
Community Member

I have earned 60$ and upwork deduct 3.77$ as WHT.
Can Anyone help about WHT calculation according to above deduction?

BojanS
Community Manager

Hi Puneet,

Thank you for reaching out to us with this question. I checked this for you and the correct withhold was applied on your transactions. $3.77 out of the $502.50 (which is 0,75%) and $0.45 out of the $60.00 (which is 0,75%). You can check this under your Transaction history.

mikeobserver
Community Member

This is a technical topic and I was hoping the CAs on upwork can throw some light on this matter.

As required by the law, the TDS is being deducted on earnings at 0.75% since October 2020. But as on February 23, 2021 the tax deducted is not reflected in my Form 26AS on the income tax portal. As per my knowledge, this should have reflected latest by January 31, 2021 for the taxes deucted for the quarter that ended on Decemeber 2020.

As a side note, I have provided my PAN to upwork.