Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Indian TDS Tax Withholding on Upwork Earnings

aartichudasama
Aarti C Member Since: Apr 27, 2019
51 of 298

Hello Team,

I can see the tax was deducted in my account of the 5% it's wrong you have to deduct of 0.75% because i already updated my Aadhar number in my account.

Please check asap do the needful.

Please see attached snapshot for your refrence.

Thanks.

**Edited for community guidelines**

aartichudasama
Aarti C Member Since: Apr 27, 2019
52 of 298

Hello Team,

I did mailed you two times about tax withholding but i didn't get any response from your side.my question was why the upwork deduct 5 percent taxes? i have already updated my Aadhar number. than why it's happen to deduct  5 percent tax? as per upwork rules upwork should deduct only 0.75 percent.

Can you plaese check asap?

Thanks

djondinium
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
53 of 298

Hi Aarti,

I'm sorry for the delay. We are checking with the team and will update you as soon as we have more information.

Thank you for your patience.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
54 of 298

Aarti, Gautam and Gagandeep,

We appreciate your patience while we were checking on this. The team confirmed that the transactions you were referring to had happened before PAN/Aadhar numbers were added to your accounts. Therefore, it was withheld at 5% rate. Going forward you should see the tax being withheld at 0.75%.

~ Valeria
Untitled
sunderdeepsingh
Sunderdeep S Member Since: Mar 24, 2015
55 of 298

Did they help you because they are doing the same with me? I had PAN info long time back but they silently were deducting 5% and when contacted to their Support, they had no answer and simply said they will email me.

vineetbegwani
Vineet B Member Since: Jan 4, 2020
56 of 298
Yes, they did. Actually they cannot do anything here as they are
statutorily required to withhold the tax and deposit with the government
authorities. We just need to make sure that it reflects in the income tax
portal (Form 26AS I guess).
shibajyoti
Shibajyoti B Member Since: Aug 5, 2020
57 of 298

This is sort of an untold premium membership process !!

tmind2minds
Dilshad K Member Since: Oct 27, 2018
58 of 298

Upwork has started Withholding Tax or TDS for Indian Freelancers from Oct2020. I want to download the TDS or WHT report. How can I download the TDS or WHT report of my account?

bstojadinovic
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
59 of 298

Hi Dilshad,

We've been advised that the reporting is done quarterly. So a statement will be provided to you every three months. You can check this help article for more information.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Untitled
nabhassy
Ace Contributor
Anil C Member Since: Oct 23, 2015
60 of 298

The Website of Income tax department India shows that no deduction shall be made if  the gross amount during the previous year does not exceed five lakh rupees and PAN information is submitted.

My gross amount during the previous year is less than INR 5,00,000 and PAN is given.

But TDS is still deducted. 

Please verify.

This is the url of Section 194 - O.   of Income tax department

https://www.incometaxindia.gov.in/_layouts/15/dit/mobile/viewer.aspx?path=https://www.incometaxindia...

This is the relevant portion from the Website.

No deduction under sub-section (1) shall be made from any sum credited or paid or likely to be credited or paid during the previous year to the account of an e-commerce participant, being an individual or Hindu undivided family, where the gross amount of such sale or services or both during the previous year does not exceed five lakh rupees and such e-commerce participant has furnished his Permanent Account Number or Aadhaar number to the e-commerce operator.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS