cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Indian TDS Tax Withholding on Upwork Earnings

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
161 of 172

Hi Ketan,

I moved your post to the announcement thread so you could review previous information shared on this topic by us moderators but also by experienced users. You might also want to check articles available online, like this one for example. Thank you.

Balvant R Member Since: Dec 27, 2019
162 of 172

Upwork service fee must be reduced to 10% instead of 20%. And For connect price should be decreased as well.

Upwork have 50% indians and now if you are also start deducting tax i can say upwork will loose many freelancers. and it will affect on your revenue.

Pratik S Member Since: Apr 10, 2016
163 of 172

It's already 3 months after which upwork started collecting "WHT". So can anyone tell me how to get the quaterly report ?

Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
164 of 172

Hi Pratik,

Please be advised that we will be providing freelancers from India the appropriate forms. These will show the amount of tax withheld so you can report it on your government tax filing. We expect that the first form a freelancer will receive will be the quarterly reporting on a Form 24Q.

-Joanne
Untitled
Tejas V Member Since: May 9, 2016
165 of 172

Upwork has started deducting tax at source for my account from October 2020.

Where can I get the TDS cerrtificate / Form-16? - I hope all Indian freelancers will be receiving the certificate.

Qaidjohar B Member Since: Sep 24, 2019
166 of 172

Hello, I am an Indian freelancer.  As Upwork introduced withholding tax in FY2020-21, the TAN number will be required for us to declare the withholding tax when filing the ITR in AY2021-22.

167 of 172

Hi Qaidjohar, 

You may enter your PAN or Aadhaar number in the “Tax Info” section under “Settings.”  Upon checking, it looks like you have already added this information in our settings. If you've managed to add either your PAN or Aadhaar number successfully, i.e. it was accepted and you didn't get an error message, you're good to go! No further action on the Upwork platform is necessary. 

Please be advised that we will be providing freelancers from India with the appropriate forms. These will show the amount of tax withheld so you can report it on your government tax filing. We expect that the first form a freelancer will receive will be the quarterly reporting on a Form 24Q.

-Joanne
Untitled
Ankit T Member Since: Mar 11, 2016
168 of 172

Form 24Q is for "salary", while we work as independent contractors. I'm not sure how that is going to work out legally. Plus, the 26AS should have been updated for the quarter that just ended on the 31st of December but there is no proof of the tax deducted in the government portal as yet. Unless Upwork (the deductor) updates the form 26AS with the amount that it debited as tax, we cannot claim the tax credit for the same. Please resolve this. 

Lubna T Member Since: Oct 24, 2017
169 of 172

Hello Joanne,

From where will we have access to Form 24Q? The last date to file Tax for last quater ends this month. How will I file for the return if you have not provided Form16 or your TAN number

170 of 172

Hi Lubna and Ankit,

I've requested the help of our team. One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket

-Joanne
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS