cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Indian TDS Tax Withholding on Upwork Earnings

shivranjan77
Shivranjan K Member Since: Feb 13, 2017
11 of 330

Then upwork must decrease service fee from 20% to 10%.  It's so unfair if this continues people will surely look at a different platform.

bstojadinovic
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
12 of 330

Hi Shivranjan,

Freelancers are charged a sliding fee based on their lifetime billings with each client (across all contracts they've ever had with that client's company). Once they have earned $500 with one client their fee will be reduced to 10%. To learn more about our freelancer's fees check out this guide.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
bineeshk
Bineesh K Member Since: Apr 2, 2020
13 of 330

This withholding tax will be refunded to our account? in future? 

vineetbegwani
Vineet B Member Since: Jan 4, 2020
14 of 330

Hello Valeria,

I understand that Upwork is required to collect the withholding tax (Tax Deducted at Source) and deposit it with the Indian government. But from what I see in my tax portal, the amount of tax withheld from my earnings is not reflected. Can you please confirm the timeline by which you are required to deposit the withheld tax with the government, or please provide a statement along with the dates and amounts of the taxes are deposited with the government.

Thanks!

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
15 of 330

Hi Vineet,

We are required to do our quarterly filing by 1/31/2021. Then the statements to the freelancers (Form 24Q) will be available within 15 days of that filing or 2/15/21 at the latest. 

~ Valeria
Upwork
jkpaul20
JoyKishor P Member Since: May 7, 2020
16 of 330

Yes, it has not been deposited to Income tax Authority as on 02/28/2021 and TDSs are being deposited to the authority every quarter. So october quarter ended on 31st December, and TDS collected are deposited before 31st Jan.

So why was this not deposited as yet. or when will this be deposited.

jkpaul20
JoyKishor P Member Since: May 7, 2020
17 of 330

Hi Valeria,
When would Upwork deposit the Tax Collected from freelancers to Income Tax Authority. I do not see the tax collected (0.75%) were deposited against my PAN as on 02/28/2021 and normally it is being deposited every quarter. 

Kindly advise.

utkarshmaitin10
Utkarsh M Member Since: Feb 25, 2019
18 of 330

Hi Upwork,

Well i checked , I am unable to see the Tax deducted in my Form 26AS.

Thanks, please check and let us know

loveleshsoni1349
Lovelesh S Member Since: Mar 6, 2019
19 of 330

How will my tax consultant know how much TDS he should be claiming when filling for ITR?

You guys deduct TDS in Dollars ($) but you haven't revealed how much I should be claiming in INR?? How can I claim and what rate should my consultant should be using? This is very confusing really!

Example: If you have deducted TDS of $5 then then at the time of filling ITR, my tax consultant will obviously say that $5 TDS is already paid but out of my total liability I should be deducted this amount. The problem is that our currently is INR and if the TDS was also shown in INR then it would have been very easy but IT'S NOT!!

Any ideas what is the answer to this question???

nipuntrivedi9
Nipun T Member Since: Jun 20, 2018
20 of 330

Dear Lovelesh, 
I had a long conversation on this upwork support but no luck. They are still confused about this. From their representative, this is what I received,  "I know this is still confusing since this is new for everyone. Upwork is required to send the report until the end of January so for now, this is still in progress but you can use your Transaction History page to know how much is being remitted to the Indian government but this is in USD. I'm currently confirming if the form will be sent mid February or April. "

I will further update this thread as soon I receive any update from them.

Best Regards

Nipun Trivedi

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS