Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reasons Why Job Success Score is a BAD IDEA

Highlighted
Dana B Member Since: Jul 21, 2015
91 of 317

The job success score is a VERY BAD IDEA for multiple reasons:

1) I've found many glitches with my own profile that I've had to work with UpWork to resolve. The track-record with overall problems with UpWork is high, as we all know. Replacing something that is easy to monitor by the freelancer (5 star rating) with a poorly defined complex algorithm is just an invitation for disaster, as WE HAVE NO WAY TO MONITOR WHETHER OR NOT THE SCORE IS CORRECT, and tech support has no idea either.

2) I've seen multiple freelancers commenting that their score is jumping wildly back and forth. Also, the score often is a poor representation of their actual success and client satisfaction.

3) Incorporating hidden feedback from clients into the score is not appropriate. Freelancers should be able to see ALL comments and have a chance to RESPOND BACK. Is it fair to keep this hidden when we may work for the same client again?

4) The job success score is not intuitive. From the comments I've seen, clients have problems interpreting it.

5) UpWork, YOU WILL LOSE BUSINESS because freelancers are struggling with getting new clients (due to their job success being misrepresented).

My suggestion is to change back to the 5-star rating, which was working well.

Community Guru
Dietmar Thomas B Member Since: Aug 11, 2015
92 of 317

Hello Everyone!

One question that has been bugging me ever since the JSS was announced and I became aware of it is that, as a newcomer who was happy at last having achieved a 5.0 after a couple of jobs, I am faced with a blank! When will my JSS be displayed the first time in my case or as a standard rule?

Another question is, due to me being busy on a few milestones for only 1 customer that will keep me buried in work for at least 1 1/2 month, will that affect my JSS?

I am not applying for any jobs at the moment, therefore my profile views have dropped to 0.0. Does this affect my JSS too?

One of the main criteria is $1000 for the rising talent status, what are the other requirements to be regarded in order to reach that goal? I have nearly completed the financial requirement and will have done certainly have it all in wraps in about a week or so.

Being a man of many questions, here is another one! In the https://www.upwork.com/o/profiles/browse section (of which I was not aware until today! No obvious buttons displayed or mention of it anywhere in a visible manner!), is there a ranking order applicable or is it just generated wildly? If there are certain criteria, what are they? How can I start moving up the food chain on the list? 

I would love to hear the answers to these, for me at least, important questions.

Regards

Thomas

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
93 of 317

Hi Dietmar,

Thank you for your questions. Here are some answers:

- You will need to complete at least 4 jobs in order for your Job Success score to be calculated and displayed on your job success score.

- You working on one contract and not applying for new jobs will not affect your Job Success score negatively.

-  Here are the requirements for the Rising Talent program and here are the requirements for the Top Rated program. 12-month earnings of at least $1000 is a requirement to become a Top Rated freelancer.

- The way your profile appears in search depends on many factors including your application activity, your performance on your previous contracts as well as who is searching, the requirements of the client who is searching and when the search is performed.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Cathleen C Member Since: Aug 17, 2015
94 of 317

The original intent of freelancing sites was to connect freelancers with clients. And for that service, the site took a percent. Simple. Fair.

OK, so instituting the five star feedback thing was helpful, as it allowed BOTH freelancer and client to do a little research before working with each other. Simple. Fair.

Now this whole JSS thing is introduced, and look how many threads/posts there are, just focusing on the stupid JSS instead of focusing on work. Between the bugs and the JSS, neither clients nor freelancers are actually getting any work done. The only people who are getting work done are the scam clients and the freelancers willing to work for $3/hr.

Maybe this is Upwork's business goal?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
95 of 317

Hi Cathleen,

Although the star feedback is definitely very helpful, our data shows that successful projects depend on a number of factors – not just public feedback averages. Job Success scores address this by taking into account all public and private factors that contribute to freelancers’ track records. Therefore, it is a more complete metric for the freelancer's performance.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
96 of 317

Like a five  course gourmet meal put through the blender so that you can taste all of it in one mouthful

Przemyslaw S Member Since: May 21, 2017
97 of 317

Beautiful! 

It reminds me the sense of humour from (good old, with Diana Rigg) Avengers.

Ace Contributor
Aditi J Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
98 of 317

Hey Valeria,

Why do you need to have a JSS or any star system for freelancers if you are taking money from them? Freelancers are your consumers. What kind of business gives their own consumers rating (secretly or openly)?? If Upwork officials cannot sleep without rating someone, then clients are the ones they should rate. 

Does it not seem counterintutive to you? What say?

Community Guru
Barbara W Member Since: Sep 10, 2015
99 of 317

@Aditi J wrote:

Hey Valeria,

Why do you need to have a JSS or any star system for freelancers if you are taking money from them? Freelancers are your consumers. What kind of business gives their own consumers rating (secretly or openly)?? If Upwork officials cannot sleep without rating someone, then clients are the ones they should rate. 

Does it not seem counterintutive to you? What say?

I don't entirely agree. If you go somewhere and purchase a service, would you feel that your customer should rate you, or that you can rate them? This is the way Upwork handles it. Clients (the customers) are able to influence the ratings of the freelancers (who are service providers), but the reputation of the customers is taken into consideration when determining the amount of influence.

Let me frame it differently.

You're a routine customer of Wal Mart - then one day you shop at Macy's for whatever reason. You think Wal Mart is just grand, but your complaints about Macy's are that they are too expensive, too specialized, etc. Your opinion on Macy's shouldn't reflect as heavily as the perpetual Macy's customers. Moreso, someone who's never shopped in any department store whatsoever and tries to get a $500 jacket for $10 should be figured in when they are dissatisfied with what they get for $10. Maybe they truly aren't satisfied - that's fine - but there's a chance that they're just being overly demanding. Depends on how they respond to other stores in the area.

Pardon me if I'm just being naive because I'm new (I don't have a JSS of my own, yet) but... Putting it this way sort of makes sense, to me at least. This is just a generic explanation/comparison of how I understand the JSS to be calculated and I make no claims of being an expert at this system.

- Barbara Herrera -
Ace Contributor
Aditi J Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
100 of 317

Freelancers are Upwork's customers. So freelancers should be able to grade Upwork not the other way round. In your example, Walmart or Macy's does not rate its customer. So it is not relevant Smiley Happy