cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insight on how Job Success Score is calculated

exomedia
Subhranil D Member Since: Mar 9, 2017
291 of 317

I don't think your advice is very helpful.  I have no sense that any of my satisfied clients who left positive PUBLIC feedback would go behind my back to leave NEGATIVE private feedback.  Also, you are telling me to just continue to provide quality services as I always do (which is why I have had a longstanding perfect 100% score).  However, your comment fails to acknowledge that my new low score was created because of factors beyond my control---a client who can't figure out how to leave feedback and one who was intent on cheating me.  So how does your advice to just keep providing quality service protect me from this type of abuse???

mgraybeal
Ace Contributor
Mary G Member Since: Jan 29, 2016
292 of 317
I too suffered a lowered score. I came to work after a long illness and, I think, received bad reviews from 3 clients. I know Upwork says they look at the best of 3-, 6-, and 12-month scores, but I don't think that is the case. No matter what I did, I could not quite get my score back up over 90. It stayed stubbornly at 88% for a year. Then, a year after those jobs, my score magically cleared and zoomed from 88% to 99%. It took a year for this to happen though. It does not seem that the effects of bad feedback lessen over time.

A suggestion that would help those who suffer a sudden and atypical change, maybe chart the score over a long period to show the more typical score level.
catbill
Ace Contributor
Cathy C Member Since: Apr 17, 2016
293 of 317

The current system is clearly not fair. Vladimir says that we should just keep trying and we will eventually increase our JSS. Two problems:

1. I did nothing wrong. The client accused me of not sending her the final report on time when the record clearly shows that I did. She has refused to review the record and provide any evidence of what I did wrong.  I should not be punished for this.

In the other case, the client closed a contract before I did any work and immediately opened another contract. Again, I did nothing wrong yet the system automatically punished me..

2. Once we have a low score it is very difficult to get work. Thus, it is nearly impossible to get new jobs that increase our score.

I have given excellent service to my clients and doubt that I will do any more work with Upwork until their policies change.

exomedia
Subhranil D Member Since: Mar 9, 2017
294 of 317

You are right Cathy..  The advice to just keep providing good service is worthless advice when the reason we are being penalized is beyond our control and no amount of "providing good service" will protect us from clients who are too lazy to leave feedback or are trying to cheat us (as is in my case).  Upwork is playing games with our llivelihoods with a so called scoring system that does not reflect the truth of an outsourcer's job performance.   

haozeke
Rohit G Member Since: Apr 28, 2017
295 of 317
There are a lot of great clients here on Upwork but plenty of scamsters too.

All I see is a system which benefits old hands immensely but poses a huge barrier to new entrants.

I feel really peeved that just because I have a low number of jobs here one guy going psycho and leaving a bad review is my fault. As support told me the feedback and reasons are not checked for accuracy.
miroslav84
Community Guru
Miroslav M Member Since: Jan 21, 2016
296 of 317

I know the JSS we get is the best among three timeframes. But, what does happen if during the last six months a freelancer has less than five completed/closed jobs? Is that shortest timeframe still taken into account in such cases?

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
297 of 317

Hi Miroslav,

Please note that if there isn't enough information to calculate a Job Success Score in a six month window, a score from one of the other two windows will be reflected on the frelancer's profile.

Untitled
diana-moldovan
Diana M Member Since: May 26, 2017
298 of 317

Hello all,

I'm one of those users who tries to find out why their "success score" is going down even if the relationship they had with their customers were constructive or at least decent.
I've read a few forum discussions about this topic and I've found out about 2 criteria you're using in calculating the score that I find most disturbing:
 - "private feedback". As far as I can understand you allow employers to post a good "public feedback" and, in the same time, leave a not so good "private feedback". I'm not sure if you realize what a toxic practice is this. Many of us are willing to use a honest feedback, no matter how critical, to improve our services and customer care. By hiding a potentially critical feedback you don't allow us to do this. Perhaps it would be better to kick out people that are not able to maintain a decent behavior rather than hide what's unpleasant.
 - "paused contracts". I don't want to push my customers to close a contract for which there is no recent activity or to close it myself, forcing them to leave a feedback. Some people are "lazy writers". Perhaps the customer will ask for more work in the future, perhaps he does not care about the paused contract (and this is OK for me). You tend to consider a "paused contract" or a contract closed without feedback as an equivalent of a somehow "bad" feedback. I'm not sure what kind of statistic calculations / studies do you employ and how accurate are your conclusions. The only valuable feedback, in my opinion, is the feedback customers leave without anyone having to ask them to do so.  

Please take a moment to read and perhaps realize that you don't encourage trust and honesty with these "success score" criteria. Thank you for your time.

purplepony
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
299 of 317

Diana, I hope you at least feel better for sharing your views and well know and understand that sometimes that helps. They've "heard it/read it all before."  Unfortunately it doesn't at all appear that they're going to in any way whatsoever change the way in which JSS is calculated.  "It is what it is" so all any of us can do is our best and continue to move forward.  

FYI I used to be "Top Rated" and have been @ 82% for a while now.  Am I happy about it?  Of course not, but in all sincerity I don't think it's hurt me much if at all regarding obtaining new projects.  I always was selective regarding projects I'd pursue/accept.  My decrease in JSS has made me even more selective.    

mgraybeal
Ace Contributor
Mary G Member Since: Jan 29, 2016
300 of 317
If you can hang in there, eventually the "bad" reviews fall out of the calculation. They claim they choose the best of the 6-, 12-, and 24-month scores, but I don't think that's right. When I was moved over to Upwork, I was just recovering from a bad illness. I did not do a good job on 3 jobs during that period, and I fell from a 100% to an 87%. No matter how hard I tried, I could not bring that score up for a year. It vacilated around 86-87%, although once it got up to 91% but then quickly fell to 86%. Then, about a year after the 3 bad reviews, it magically shot up to 99%. Maybe I got some negative feedback during that time to make the 6-month score low, but it didn't seem so. It was such a dramatic change so quickly--i think it is based on the 12-month score.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS