cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insight on how Job Success Score is calculated

Ace Contributor
Aditi J Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
101 of 317

Let me put it differently: You leased an office in a market place. Now you are providing a service to your clients. Your landlord (one who owns the office) stands outside with a blackboard and asks each of your client to write how good/bad you are outside on a blackboard. Would you allow that in real life? 

Upwork is doing exactly that in the virtual space to freelancers. Smiley Happy 

Mollie H Member Since: Sep 25, 2015
102 of 317

Agree, Agree, Agree!  I finally gave up! I am tired of contacting customer support at Upwork about everything that is not working so far I am getting nothing but crummy and I mean crummy invites for jobs. Clients are not the same caliber of client that I had on elance. The whole thing just sucks!  They (upwork) have taken what I could depend on for good clients, good jobs, good money and just trashed it on my end! 

I spent so much time back and forth with them and them giving me their canned speech about what I could do to improve things it is ridiculous including telling me to include a video in my profile when I already have a video there. Telling me to takes tests, telling me change is hard.  In this case change is ridiculous! And you are right, I couldn't get any work done, because all I was doing was trying to get my profile fixed and it still does not show all my past jobs from elance. 

So, I am done!  If a job comes my way through upwork that works out for me, okay if not, I see this whole company going down the tubes for anyone other than the people that want the $3 hr worker.  Quality of clients is gone!  Number of workers that bid on jobs for $3 an hour at an all time high!  What I still don't understand is why take a perfectly good company that worked out well for everyone (elance) and close it and move clients, move workers, and then not let them keep their original usernames, so now a client cannot even find you on upwork.  Absolutely insane!

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
103 of 317

Aditi,

Freelancers are not Upwork's customers, thank goodness.

Freelancers are a principal component of the product that Upwork offers to its customers: the clients.

Clients are Upwork's customers.

You DO NOT WANT to be the customer.

The customer pays money.

The freelancer receives money.

There are other platforms in which the freelancer IS the customer, and the freelancers on those platforms end up paying a lot of money for the privilege of being the customer.

I don't want to be Upwork's customer, because that means Upwork will start using me as a direct revenue stream rather than as a partner in extracting money from customers (clients).

To those of you who want to think of freelancer's as Upwork's customers:

It is fine for you to think that way. But you will never really understand's Upwork's business model and many of their decisions if you think that way. When you understand who Upwork sees as its customers, you will better understand many of its decisions.

Note that IT IS NOT NECESSARY to be Upwork's customer's in order to be treated well. Companies all of the world work hard to retain their collaborators, partners, employees and contractors. They want these people to be happy with their working environments. Upwork DOES want contractors to be be treated fairly and to have a positive experience.

But saying things like "Upwork should not have ratings for contractors because contractors are the customers" demonstrates a misperception with regards to how Upwork makes money and how it perceives freelancers.

Ace Contributor
104 of 317

Yes, you are right about - I don't understand many of their decisions. 

Ace Contributor
105 of 317

Your profile shows 90% JS Score. Looks like your anger was productive. Smiley Happy 

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
106 of 317

Hi John,

I also responded to your PM. But to clarify the recently completed job closed on Sept. 16, and was a long-term job, so you already received credit for it at the 3 month mark which which was apart of that 15% increase you saw. 

Thanks,

Lena

Untitled
Community Leader
Sandeep C Member Since: Oct 24, 2013
107 of 317

@Lena E wrote:

Hi John,

I also responded to your PM. But to clarify the recently completed job closed on Sept. 16, and was a long-term job, so you already received credit for it at the 3 month mark which which was apart of that 15% increase you saw. 

Thanks,

Lena

I did like to know whether "3 month mark' is applicable. Which windows  3/6/12 or 6/12/24 months are applicable for JS calculations. Is it diffrent for diffrent freelancers. (like elancer vs odesker) . Please clarify.
Community Leader
Pavel T Member Since: Sep 4, 2015
108 of 317

Hello everyone,

I would like to share my experience with JSS ordeal and its calculation.

Here is short introduction to my story:

On November 1 my JSS unexpectedly dropped from 96% to 91 %, despite the fact that all my jobs were completed successfully with perfect feedbacks from the clients. I turned yo Upwork support, but all their replies were completely useless. Here is the citation from the last one: “I definitely know that could be frustrating. We understand how you feel. Rest assured that we will do all the best that we can to help you out.”

Upwork has the potential of becoming a perfect psychological counseling service, don`t you think?

Ultimately, I haven`t received a reply WHY my rating dropped.

For the next two weeks I kept working religiously, having completed 3 projects with again perfect feedbacks. On November 15 my JSS slowly increased from 91% to 92%.

And now I am completely baffled with the fact, what could I did wrong to have my JSS dropped on 5%, and what was so ineffective about my following work to have it increased on 1%?!

I don`t really hope to get the vital reply from Upwork support ( in the back of my mind, I suspect they don`t really understand themselves how the system works...), but I believe that every freelancer have to have clear understanding of JSS calculation.

Regards,

Pavel

Akshata C Member Since: Apr 21, 2015
109 of 317

Ridiculous system..!!

Kyler R Member Since: Nov 16, 2015
110 of 317

Hello everyone,

Three questions.

1.) If the freelancer ends the contract, will it negatively impact their Job Success Score (JSS)?

2.) If the majority of contracts were ended by the freelancer, does that negatively impact the JSS?

3.) If you are in goodstanding with Upwork, but don't like your JSS, can you close your account and start a new account, or is that a violation of your Terms of Service?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS